Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

I removed the TPLink and did not find any indication in Gigabyte documentation on how to disable the onboard wifi module.
I will try tomorrow to bring back a DVi cable from the office see if it helps.

Many thanks for your help wildwillow

EDIT:
I made a full re-install without the TPLink card, as per manual, and ended back to the unreadable screen issue.
i am more and more convinced it has to deal with unsupported VGA output. Pluging a DVi cable should prove better.
Waiting tomorrow to confirm.

I removed the TPLink and did not find any indication in Gigabyte documentation on how to disable the onboard wifi module.

EDIT:
I made a full re-install without the TPLink card, as per manual, and ended back to the unreadable screen issue.
i am more and more convinced it has to deal with unsupported VGA output. Pluging a DVi cable should prove better.

VGA cable or adapter isnt supported, idk why people keeps trying...

am more and more convinced it has to deal with unsupported VGA output. Pluging a DVi cable should prove better.
OK let me know and it seems like I was correct with the VGA.

jmpa,
VGA cable or adapter isnt supported, idk why people keeps trying...
That is what I thought!

I can't find words to express how frustrating it is to discover after a two days of fruitless work than I was stuck because of a cable...

I plugged the DVI cable tonight, and everything just work perfectly. Even the TPLink wifi card that was sometimes causing boot issue does no longer bother.

What I learn from thoses two days :

• Boot menu has options, press the Down Arrow and select
  • Boot menu allow you to boot safe mode or verbose, by just typing in boot menu
    • -x : Safe mode
    • -v : Verbose mode
  • Latest processors, like Corei3 IvyBridge require a Mountain Lion install. Lion install will fail on boot and only verbose boot will show you the boot args error message
  • Keyboard ! Take care to buy a supported keyboard if you want to enter BIOS at boot
  • BIOS : Flashing the BIOS on a GA-H77N (eventhough bought 9 month after original post on this MB) is mandatory to prevent KernelPanics due to bad USB support (from what I have been able to see).
  • If you want to ease your life, on GigaByte MB, flash the BIOS with integrated feature Q-FLASH :
    • Partition a USB drive to FAT and format
    • Download latest BIOS release (F3c)
    • Install application "Play on Mac" (kind of wine)
    • Execute the binary file (EXE) downloaded from Gigabyte site thanks to "Play on mac"
    • Copy the BIOS binary file (the one with extension F3C) to USB drive
    • Boot your Hackintosh
    • Enter BIOS
    • Go to Q-flash
    • Plug USB drive
    • in Q-flash pick update and browse for USB drive.
    • This is it !
  • Configure your BIOS as per GA-H77N guide. The screenshot and explanation make it crystal clear
  • Installation is really completed when you can boot from your disk. If you experience the boot0 issue, fix it prior other test. The easy fix using "Disk utility" and "dd" is the best way
  • Last, but not least, DO NOT USE THIS F****** VGA CONNECTOR NOR DVI TO VGA ADAPTOR ! :banghead:

Again, many thanks for your help, and the amazing software you are making available to achieve such a simple installation, once familiar with Hackintosh.

I can't find words to express how frustrating it is to discover after a two days of fruitless work than I was stuck because of a cable...

I plugged the DVI cable tonight, and everything just work perfectly. Even the TPLink wifi card that was sometimes causing boot issue does no longer bother.

What I learn from thoses two days :

• Boot menu has options, press the Down Arrow and select
  • Boot menu allow you to boot safe mode or verbose, by just typing in boot menu
    • -x : Safe mode
    • -v : Verbose mode
  • Latest processors, like Corei3 IvyBridge require a Mountain Lion install. Lion install will fail on boot and only verbose boot will show you the boot args error message
  • Keyboard ! Take care to buy a supported keyboard if you want to enter BIOS at boot
  • BIOS : Flashing the BIOS on a GA-H77N (eventhough bought 9 month after original post on this MB) is mandatory to prevent KernelPanics due to bad USB support (from what I have been able to see).
  • If you want to ease your life, on GigaByte MB, flash the BIOS with integrated feature Q-FLASH :
    • Partition a USB drive to FAT and format
    • Download latest BIOS release (F3c)
    • Install application "Play on Mac" (kind of wine)
    • Execute the binary file (EXE) downloaded from Gigabyte site thanks to "Play on mac"
    • Copy the BIOS binary file (the one with extension F3C) to USB drive
    • Boot your Hackintosh
    • Enter BIOS
    • Go to Q-flash
    • Plug USB drive
    • in Q-flash pick update and browse for USB drive.
    • This is it !
  • Configure your BIOS as per GA-H77N guide. The screenshot and explanation make it crystal clear
  • Installation is really completed when you can boot from your disk. If you experience the boot0 issue, fix it prior other test. The easy fix using "Disk utility" and "dd" is the best way
  • Last, but not least, DO NOT USE THIS F****** VGA CONNECTOR NOR DVI TO VGA ADAPTOR ! :banghead:

Again, many thanks for your help, and the amazing software you are making available to achieve such a simple installation, once familiar with Hackintosh.

Nice one younopooh!

Glad the cable fixed it for you. When some things seem too hard to find, it is simplicity that hides from us the best.

Hi All,
Thanks for putting together this guide. Could have really used it last night doing my first build :)

Here are a few things I learned:
1) Follow this thread for bios setting:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html
2) I had to boot unibeast with -x -v on my H77N MB.
3) Do not change the vram size if using HD4000 (default is 64MB)...
4) I installed on a 2TB disk so after installation I had to do this to get it booting without errors.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html
5) My HD4000 was not recognized after installation to fix it I had to boot using -x -v and then follow this guild with an EFI string for desktop (0162):
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000005006201140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

6) Took a while but all is now working. Thank you EVERYONE that is contributing code, tools and assistance. The community is amazing!

where do i enter Number 5? the EFI string for desktop? I believe that is the solution to my problem But i have no idea where to enter it.

I figure it out! I needed to activate my Intel 4000 graphics card and set the resolution.
booting into -x
I had to click the desktop, then on the upper left corner of my screen select finder and preferences and check Hard disks.

Doing this will cause your hard drive to show on the desktop.

Next open your hard drive and open the "EXTRA" folder followed by org.chameleon.boot.plist

copy paste this EFI string for desktop (0162)

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002 010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c000000 4100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066 006f0072006d002d0069006400000008000000050062011400 00006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e62 6f6172642d31</string>

Also copy paste this:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>

changing the numbers to whatever screen resolution you would like. File Save and reboot and it works like a charm.

Sadly, back again...

I had issue with the video few days ago that would not work if not booting failsafe.
This one was easily sorted out by using a DVI cable inplace of the DVI/VGA adapter + VGA cable.

since then :

While I was using the computer, screen become black (blank), monitor indicating a signal lost issue.
I struggle trying to have video back, nothing to do, except if booting failsafe.

I decided to re-install ML. And since then, I am stuck with the very same error message :
[IOBluetoothHCIController::setConfigState] calling registerService

I cannot even install Multibeast as I step into this error after the initial install reboot.

Boot failsafe (-x) won't workaround. Using option "PCIRootUID=0" will allow boot to complete, but then display stays black (blank)
and monitor indicates no signal.

Any idea ? I am really puzzled about this situation. I am even wondering if the DVI cable I am using can produce that.
The DVi cable I originally borrowed to test allowed me to use computer smoothly for hours, and then, since I pluged the one I bought, it's a chain reaction of problems I can't seem to be able to fix.

This issue (the error message above) seem to have as many possible fixes as people complaining about it, but only workarounds, no real solution.

I will try tomorrow to borrow the cable I used originally see if it made a difference.

By the way, anyone can tell me if DVi or DVI-D makes a difference ?

Back