Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

One step forward : Is the DVI cable the reason why I see so many people experiencing the same issue without any solution ?

DVI formats overview

• DVI-A (DVI-Analog) only send Analog signal ;
  • DVI-D (DVI-Digital) only send Digital signal ;
  • DVI-I (DVI-Integrated) send both Analog or Digital signal depending on which output is active

First DVI cable I borrowed was not showing the video lost issue.
The DVI cble I use today has prove unable whatever the eufi string I use to output
a video signal on user interface layer startup

I checked my Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI documetation to discover it was a DVI-I output on that board. Unfortunately I forgot the DVi cable I originally used at work. I intend to test it tomorrow.

One step forward : Is the DVI cable the reason why I see so many people experiencing the same issue without any solution ?

DVI formats overview

• DVI-A (DVI-Analog) only send Analog signal ;
  • DVI-D (DVI-Digital) only send Digital signal ;
  • DVI-I (DVI-Integrated) send both Analog or Digital signal depending on which output is active

First DVI cable I borrowed was not showing the video lost issue.
The DVI cble I use today has prove unable whatever the eufi string I use to output
a video signal on user interface layer startup

I checked my Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI documetation to discover it was a DVI-I output on that board. Unfortunately I forgot the DVi cable I originally used at work. I intend to test it tomorrow.

Hi Younopoo.

I think you proved the issue was with your cable before. Here is a photo of the different DVI connectors.
Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 22.46.13.png

Cable issue confirmed. So a DVID-D cable will not allow you to display desktop with HD4000.

Maybe this should be added to guides, as well as unsupported VGA output, as I have seen loads of people puzzled by video lost when desktop starting.

Cable issue confirmed. So a DVID-D cable will not allow you to display desktop with HD4000.

I find this quite surprising since using a single-link DVI-D to HDMI adapter works perfectly.

Thank you for this awesome guide! This was the smoothest OS X install I have ever done. Though they may have already been posted I wanted to share some tips that I had to do pre and post install.
1. During the install I could not use the USB 3.0 ports (blue ones) for keyboard/mouse and used the USB ports on the front.
2. BIOS settings: Set my UEFI SSD drive first to boot. Changed XMS memory settings to Profile 1 for 1600 (bumped Geekbench score 160 points). And Performance to Extreme.
3. I have an older Samsung 32" 1080p TV ln32a450 attached via HDMI and the picture was fuzzy/weird shadows/blurry at 1920x1080. After a couple days of research and finding the manual for the TV, the HDMI cable had be connected to HDMI/DVI 2 and in the menu on the tv set HDMI/DVI 2 to PC. Perfect picture after that.
4. The Samsung 840 SSD drive did not show TRIM enabled so downloaded and ran the TRIM Enabler. And now it shows enabled in Profiler. Do this as soon as you can so you don't lose performance from that costly SSD drive.

HD4000 Monitor Issues

Hi all,

I recently built a customac mini with pretty much identical parts from the March 2012 guide. I've had a rough time with the HD4000 which I expected to work out of the box. I think my issues stem from 10.8.3 perhaps. Anyhow, what I did:

1. Install with Unibeast
2. Boot into installed OS with -x flag. I was getting stuck at a AppleBluetoothHCI line
3. Multibeast install with F2 DST
4. Reboot and my monitor would poweroff after the grey loading screen

With the original monitor I was installing with, I spent several hours trying to figure it out. Original fix was to unplug and replug DVI cable. I did manage to permanently fix display for this monitor by adding:
<key>HD4000PlatformId</key>
<string>8</string>
to my org.chameleon file and setting the IGP memory to 64GB. I was able to get HDMI working well with audio, as long as I used HDMI1 port.

However, my current issue is with another monitor. No matter what, I can't get it to display the desktop without having the monitor power itself off unless I use GraphicsEnabler=No. But with GE off, there's no graphics acceleration and everything is really slow. I've tried adding the <device-properties> string without luck. It does however show the GPU as Intel HD4000 in system properties when I have this enabled. I'm using a DVI-D cable, someone mentioned they couldn't use a DVI-D cable, but I suspect that's not my issue because I'm able to use the same cable with the original monitor. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm using my 3.5mm speaker port from my motherboard (z77n model). Audio works fine, but every now and then I get a weird popping noise. Any idea how I can fix this?

I'm using my 3.5mm speaker port from my motherboard (z77n model). Audio works fine, but every now and then I get a weird popping noise. Any idea how I can fix this?

Use macpro 3.1 smbios.

Back