Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TreeMan2011 said:
Use one of the Silverstone cases that is now recommended, not the case pictured in the first post, or you will have problems with heat and fan noise. They are more expensive but at least the CPU's will stay nice and cool, plus they are easier to work with. Be aware, though, that they will only take a slim optical drive (like the kind used in a laptop), not a full sized one as the original case would.
Also, you should get a picoPSU and some decent cooling to eliminate all noise as, at least the stock i5 fan, sounds like a blowdryer. Here is what I bought:
-PicoPSU-150-XT ATX Mini Power Supply & 150W AC Adapter, ~80 USD + p&p.
-Thermalright AXP-140 RT Low Profile HeatSink/CPU Cooler, ~40 USD + p&p.
-Fractal Design Silent Series FD-FAN-140 (140mm), ~6 USD +p&p.

The fan that came with the AXP 140 was too loud so had to replace it with the FD fan. Expensive, but silent.

As for the artifacts, 10.7.3 seems much more stable than 10.7.2, but I'm also getting the horizontal line in Safari every now and then. But the system has never frozen on me yet.

I wish you good luck!

Sorry for the noobish questions, my build is almost done but a don't understand some things… I followed steps 1 - 4 below and have an install that mostly works, but need some clarification to finish my install:

1- Create Unibeast OS X Lion USB drive Installer.

2- New system Mobo GA-H67N-USB3 w/ F7 BIOS. 8 GB memory. i7-2600K (HD 3000 Gfx). BIOS configured w 480MB + 2 MB for GTT. HPET = 64bit mode. SATA set to AHCI mode. All BIOS settings are default.

3- Install OS X Lion on system drive w/ GUID Partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

4- Configure OS X network settings.

Here is where I'm a little confused… Am I supposed to download and run the Multibeast installer using the settings that are in your "Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)" thread- in particular:

A- the ALC8xxHDA & AppleHDA Rollback- aren't I going to replace these with the 889Beta Lion AppleHDA.kext according to your 2/4/12 update notes? And regarding the 889Beta Lion AppleHDA.kext- do I have to edit the DSDT in the DSDT database with the HDEF Layout-id for my HD 3000 graphics, or is that why there are 2 DSDTs in the database for the F7 BIOS, one named 'DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7.aml' for non HD 3000 gfx chips, and a second one called 'DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7-HDMI.aml' that is pre-edited for use with the HD 3000 Gfx chips? Or is the second one the one that everyone uses and edits the HDEF Layout-id for HD 3000 Gfx chips, and uses in Multibeast for the 'UserDSDT Install' entry?

After some more reading, I guess I do need AppleHDA Rollback because it's an earlier version of AppleHDA??

B- The network seems to be working OOB, am I supposed to install the 'Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6' kext anyway?? Maybe this is to make Bonjour work properly or something else related to the network, even though ethernet seems to be working fine OOB?

Sorry for my confusion, but I'm trying to put together information from 4 different threads related to the MacMini 2011 Lion installation and audio…. everything seems to be working more or less except audio- hope you can help me sort that out.

thank you for your help

jwk said:
A- the ALC8xxHDA & AppleHDA Rollback- aren't I going to replace these with the 889Beta Lion AppleHDA.kext according to your 2/4/12 update notes? And regarding the 889Beta Lion AppleHDA.kext- do I have to edit the DSDT in the DSDT database with the HDEF Layout-id for my HD 3000 graphics, or is that why there are 2 DSDTs in the database for the F7 BIOS, one named 'DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7.aml' for non HD 3000 gfx chips, and a second one called 'DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7-HDMI.aml' that is pre-edited for use with the HD 3000 Gfx chips? Or is the second one the one that everyone uses and edits the HDEF Layout-id for HD 3000 Gfx chips, and uses in Multibeast for the 'UserDSDT Install' entry?

After some more reading, I guess I do need AppleHDA Rollback because it's an earlier version of AppleHDA??

B- The network seems to be working OOB, am I supposed to install the 'Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6' kext anyway?? Maybe this is to make Bonjour work properly or something else related to the network, even though ethernet seems to be working fine OOB?
A - For HD3000 HDMI Audio, use the BetaALC889AppleHDA kext that Toleda posted and the DSDT that Toleda edited in the Tuneup Kit v4 (post #2 on this thread). Don't install the audio from Multibeast because you'll have to undo for the edited AppleHDA and DSDT to work correctly. Also, the DSDT for HDMI audio in the database doesn't have the right edits to be used with the latest BetaALC889AppleHDA kext.

B - I used the Lnx2Mac Realtek ethernet driver. I don't know what the drawbacks are of using ethernet without this driver as I didn't try.

That's about all I've learned ;) Good luck!

hello guys !!! I'new in this forum, but I follow you snce long time. just to bring my small participation. Actually i ve got a perfect hackintosh mac mini 2011. works perfecly. i used the same customac configuration.

-HDMI audio and video work perfecly in hdmi under usb port.

-My SSD have TRIM enabler with this on (http://www.groths.org/)

-wifi can be use by dlink usb dongle DWA 140 and ralink wifi utility to start up wifi when lion boot.

Just one last thing. I use a HD tv like a monitor scren and so i ve got kernel panic in boot if my screen is already on for my hackintosh..... try to be clear... I must put ON my hackintosh only if i have NO screen to display the startup :beachball: until password session. then i put on my screen and it's done :clap:

So please excuse me for all mistake, i m french but keep this forum alive guys " that is amazing ^^ :angel: )

Has anyone run into a problem where booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes gives a VERY slow system, with response from only the mouse, whereas keyboard is very slow...but booting with GraphicsEnabler=No gives a system running at regular speed (however not 1080P, the only resolution available is 1900x1200)? If so, how did you resolve this?

Hi guys!

In my fight with the graphics glitches appeared little progress (i3 2105).

First,
I replaced the home router to a gigabit ethernet support (zyxel keenetic gig).
At this point, the network crashed.
I turned off the ?omputer.
After that run the system.
It is not disconnected the network cable system does not boot. :crazy:

Secondly, removed from the system Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 driver.
Cleaned the caches.

Then set the last Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver (0.0.90).

Reconnecting to a remote desktop.

Graphic problems have virtually disappeared, and if there is a short time and disappear immediately (got to see them only in iTunes).

Perhaps the problem is conflict video and networks.
I hope someone will solve it. I myself can not. :banghead:

TONY! LNX2MAC! NEED HELP! :beachball:

jfuoco said:
Has anyone run into a problem where booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes gives a VERY slow system, with response from only the mouse, whereas keyboard is very slow...but booting with GraphicsEnabler=No gives a system running at regular speed (however not 1080P, the only resolution available is 1900x1200)? If so, how did you resolve this?

It's very simple. Set HDMI cable to a different slot (under the D-SUB), and boot the system.

YES!!!

I`ve installed the Sapphire 6670 low profile today, and all I can say is WOW!!
( http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... psn=&lid=1 )

My Customac mini has the original PSU, 250W, and it works like a charm. Have played and tested Prime95+++ all afternoon, without a hitch, not a single problem of any sort!! Graphics glitches are completely gone!!
PS: I`ve only used the HDMI-port.
The 6670 is very low powered, max 60w at peak load, and it seems to be enough power in the APEX MI-008 case.

My Cinebench GPU scores in OSX 10.7.3 before/after:
Before with HD 3000: 13.89
After with Sapphire HD 6670: 52.67

Card is recognized as "AMD Radeon HD 6670 Series 1024 MB"

Just added this to the org.chameleon.boot.plist, and BOOM, works like a charm!!

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Bulrushes</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>

My CustomacMini specs now:

-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, F7
-CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHZ (does 83 C on full load, Prime 95, running 1 hour, Geekbench 32bit 11600)
-Memory: 8GB Kingston 1333mhz (4x2 gb)
-Case: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX 250W PSU
-Blueray player/DVD-RW burner: Samsung SH-B123L (fully supported, sleep works!)
-HD: 2x1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate on one, and OSX 10.7.3 on the other)
-GPU: Sapphire HD 6670 low profile

Thanks for all the help!!

sinc slarsah

yurez54 said:
jfuoco said:

It's very simple. Set HDMI cable to a different slot (under the D-SUB), and boot the system.

I'm not using the stock MoBo with 2 HDMI slots. I'm using the H61N-USB3. Any other ideas? It seems like I'm close to having it working, just can't quite get it. Thanks!

Anyone got links to a dsdt and audio kexts for a H61N-USB3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back