Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My CustoMac still freezes a lot .. it often happens in Final Cut Pro X, sometimes in Lightroom, Safari or other programs.
Everything except the cursor freezes and I can do nothing but power the CustoMac off.

I appreciate the help!

Swisscheese said:
My CustoMac still freezes a lot .. it often happens in Final Cut Pro X, sometimes in Lightroom, Safari or other programs.
Everything except the cursor freezes and I can do nothing but power the CustoMac off.

I appreciate the help!
it would help if you provide more details like what version of Mac OS X (10.6.8 or 10.7.3 or other?). What does the Console say when such events happen (Console is in your Applications/Utilities)? The Console will show you what the logs say. Looking at that stuff will help you investigate the problem.

Hey! Finaly got sound and video working correctly. Last little issue I'm having (for now) is that everytime I shut down the computer through OSX it reboots my system instead of shutting down. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Hello

Considering turning this into a NAS/DLNA server. How is the HD-hardware support? Does all SATA ports work equally with SATA 2 speeds? Only have a DVD and 1tb drive connected to the default SATA-2 ports atm.
Is there any problems installing 3 TB drives in this hackintosh? (only for storage, no boot partition).

I m thinking to build one of this hackminis.
Follow the blog link and found this Topic with more then 180 posts.
I guess this is not a pacific hack?
I m asking for the ppl who is follow this thread, to make some list of the problems found with this hack. Or some one, edit the first post and make a section with "Problems found" or "Not working"
Its hard to understand what going on with this build.. 180+ its hard to read :)

thanks

freituk said:
I m asking for the ppl who is follow this thread, to make some list of the problems found with this hack. Or some one, edit the first post and make a section with "Problems found" or "Not working"

thanks
Please, try it. ;)

KidCastro said:
yurez54 said:
ShadowTD said:
I think as long as you go into a Hackintosh with your eyes open then that's what matters. Personally, the system I built for £500 is significantly more powerful than a Mac mini, is expandable, has an optical drive and even gave me the pleasure of letting me build it in the first place.

I'm one of the lucky people who had artefacts on day 1 that disappeared by day 3-4. I haven't had any artefacts for over 4 weeks now - gaming, browsing, using Motion & iMovie.

I <3 my Hack!

Congratulations!
But I am sure that all this soft-nonsense treated.
The question is how? So ask questions.
Theres no problems running a hackintosh man, as long as you pick proper parts... this customac build is awesome :thumbup: no artifacts or issues with stability.

I have both real mac and hackintosh but I have to say, my hackintosh tkc phantom and cinema as way better than my iMac 27" and macbook pro in all performance benchmarks.

So convenient for me... :headbang:

All the hardware I've gathered one by one.
Video buggy at times and this problem occurs not only at me.
I understand you can not help.
I only read the stories as you have everything works fine.

freituk said:

thanks

Use one of the Silverstone cases that is now recommended, not the case pictured in the first post, or you will have problems with heat and fan noise. They are more expensive but at least the CPU's will stay nice and cool, plus they are easier to work with. Be aware, though, that they will only take a slim optical drive (like the kind used in a laptop), not a full sized one as the original case would.

I still get occasional video artifacts though they have mostly disappeared under Lion 10.7.3. Usually if you flip to another program and back, or close and re-open the program they will go away, but most of the time they are so minor (a 1-pixel wide horizontal line across a window) that I hardly notice. I've read that if you install a video card (any of several recommended ones) they will go away but they show up so rarely now that it isn't worth it to me.

You may have problems getting sound to work correctly - this is almost always resolvable (look for posts by Toleda). To some degree, the way you resolve the problem may depend on how you want the sound to come out (analog jacks, HDMI, or digital via the optical port) so there may not yet be a single solution that's applicable to everyone (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that). The sound drivers in Multibeast did NOT work correctly for me, and I wound up using Toleda's "889Beta_Lion_AppleHDA_v2.1.3 (OS X 10.7.2)" which also seems to work fine in 10.7.3.

I do not believe the USB 3.0 ports work, although since I don't have any USB 3.0 devices yet I haven't spent a lot of time on that issue. Again, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And the big one, which I think is a Lion issue not necessarily related to these builds per se: Every so often the system will just freeze up — the mouse cursor moves but nothing else works. I am not sure if this is just an issue with the video freezing up of if the entire system is actually frozen, but either way, the only way to recover is to power off, wait a few seconds and power back on. I have not had this happen since upgrading to 10.7.3 but since I only did that yesterday it's too early to say if that fixed it. On the plus side, this system reboots fairly quickly, though I always worry about losing data by having to kill the power without doing a proper shutdown. Not everyone seems to have this issue, but some users of Lion on genuine Apple hardware do have it as well, from what I've heard.

On the plus side, these systems are VERY fast, and most of the issues you may encounter are resolvable, and I suspect (or at least hope) things will get better with successive upgrades of Lion.

TreeMan2011 said:
freituk said:

thanks

Use one of the Silverstone cases that is now recommended, not the case pictured in the first post, or you will have problems with heat and fan noise. They are more expensive but at least the CPU's will stay nice and cool, plus they are easier to work with. Be aware, though, that they will only take a slim optical drive (like the kind used in a laptop), not a full sized one as the original case would.

I still get occasional video artifacts though they have mostly disappeared under Lion 10.7.3. Usually if you flip to another program and back, or close and re-open the program they will go away, but most of the time they are so minor (a 1-pixel wide horizontal line across a window) that I hardly notice. I've read that if you install a video card (any of several recommended ones) they will go away but they show up so rarely now that it isn't worth it to me.

You may have problems getting sound to work correctly - this is almost always resolvable (look for posts by Toleda). To some degree, the way you resolve the problem may depend on how you want the sound to come out (analog jacks, HDMI, or digital via the optical port) so there may not yet be a single solution that's applicable to everyone (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that). The sound drivers in Multibeast did NOT work correctly for me, and I wound up using Toleda's "889Beta_Lion_AppleHDA_v2.1.3 (OS X 10.7.2)" which also seems to work fine in 10.7.3.

I do not believe the USB 3.0 ports work, although since I don't have any USB 3.0 devices yet I haven't spent a lot of time on that issue. Again, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And the big one, which I think is a Lion issue not necessarily related to these builds per se: Every so often the system will just freeze up — the mouse cursor moves but nothing else works. I am not sure if this is just an issue with the video freezing up of if the entire system is actually frozen, but either way, the only way to recover is to power off, wait a few seconds and power back on. I have not had this happen since upgrading to 10.7.3 but since I only did that yesterday it's too early to say if that fixed it. On the plus side, this system reboots fairly quickly, though I always worry about losing data by having to kill the power without doing a proper shutdown. Not everyone seems to have this issue, but some users of Lion on genuine Apple hardware do have it as well, from what I've heard.

On the plus side, these systems are VERY fast, and most of the issues you may encounter are resolvable, and I suspect (or at least hope) things will get better with successive upgrades of Lion.

Thats the answer i was looking for !!!

thanks a lot TreeMan2011 :D very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back