Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yurez54 said:
EastCoast said:
I'm also getting minor graphics glitches, but I'm not running remote desktop... examples: small line across itunes, strange white patches after exiting screen saver, etc.. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to find a solution.

I posted this before, but has anyone else had trouble on boot when using a bluetooth keyboard? The system will not load Lion without a usb keyboard being attached. It's quite frustrating.

The system is loaded without any problems without a keyboard. Especially if you turn off the bluetooth settings in search of keyboards and mice

What I'm getting is a POST error, so I'm not sure how turning off the bluetooth settings would make any difference.. but I don't really know what I'm doing anyway.

i installed lion with my hack but when i run multibeast with the dsdt im left with no network does anyone have a screenshot of the multibeast setup screen

does the dsdt for the h67 f7 have network in it

diddymac649 said:
i installed lion with my hack but when i run multibeast with the dsdt im left with no network does anyone have a screenshot of the multibeast setup screen

Which network driver did you choose? I've personally had best results with the Lynx driver, but ymmv

Gatecrasher3 said:
I'm sure this has been answered many times on this post but I can't seem to find it.
But, if I get this MB with the HD Graphics 3000 should I still install a nvidia graphics card to help improve graphics?
If I do install a GPU should I connect my monitor to my GPU or the MB DVI port?

Depends what you mean by 'improved' graphics. If you're getting a lot of artefacts from the HD3000 then yes. My artefacts disappeared after the first few days and haven't returned. If they're not an issue then the only thing you'll gain is better 3D performance - you won't notice it on the desktop (unless you're using OpenCL apps). If you install the card you'll connect your monitor to the card's connectors. You might have some sleep issues - if you do, try toggling the 'enable onboard graphics if PEG present' setting in the BIOS.

Thought I'd give some trial and error advice for people searching in the forums and noobs like me..CPU cooler, case fan, ram...stuff I had to figure out.

I bought the Gelid Slim Silence I-plus to replace the Intel CPU cooler (way to loud and hot). I was looking for something that would cool adequately, but was silent (this was with trmentry's advice). If you are looking for a good, very quiet fan, GET IT. It is very slim, leaving plenty of space between the PSU and the fan. My temps run at about 39-40 when not active. I opened every application I could and also ran Geekbench and Cinebench. Temps went up to about 65 tops under high stress. This was with imovie, itunes, iphoto, mail, safari playing a vid, plex playing a movie, Toast burning a DVD, and about 8 more applications open. I will say this, the fan is tiny on top. Kind of inset into the cooler. It doesn't move as much air around the case, so my hard drive temp when up a few degrees, stays around 42-45. Not bad, but something to note. Also, I have the fan set to silent mode in the BIOS....dropped temps about 5-10 C over the stock fan, and this thing is SILENT. If you put your ear up to it, you can hear it, but it is barely audible. Definitely a buy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426028

I was running higher temps with the stock fan ( I think the crappy pins were part of it), so I also had ordered the Silent 120mm Sickleflo case fan. My advice...don't buy this if you want quiet, which many of us need as this is an HTPC for us. It isn't loud, but it's too loud to sit by the TV. I would say its about as loud as the stock intel cpu fan at higher temps, and definitely not silent. Too loud for me, returning.

Lastly, Ram. This build would not start for me, just a reboot loop. I couldn't figure it out for awhile, and then I started playing with the ram. 1 stick was bad. I have seen this problem addressed quite a bit in this forum. I know mine was bad. So try alternating one stick of ram in both slots, instead of both at first boot.

Everything works perfectly now, love the build, fast, pretty cool, and silent.

EastCoast said:
yurez54 said:
EastCoast said:
I'm also getting minor graphics glitches, but I'm not running remote desktop... examples: small line across itunes, strange white patches after exiting screen saver, etc.. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to find a solution.

I posted this before, but has anyone else had trouble on boot when using a bluetooth keyboard? The system will not load Lion without a usb keyboard being attached. It's quite frustrating.

The system is loaded without any problems without a keyboard. Especially if you turn off the bluetooth settings in search of keyboards and mice

What I'm getting is a POST error, so I'm not sure how turning off the bluetooth settings would make any difference.. but I don't really know what I'm doing anyway.

Just an FYI to anyone else having this problem, I solved this last night. There's a setting in the BIOS for the gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 to disable errors on boot. Now I can boot to Lion without a usb keyboard attached.

diddymac649 said:

+1 for this. Of course, there is the one in the first post on this thread, but is there one updated with HDMI audio enabled?

@KidCastro and @guijarro_23

Are you guys or anyone else able to wake from sleep with those Bluetooth dongles?

CPU fan size

Wow I must first thank tony for this and all the gr8 info here. I just ran into my first snag. Using the h61n usb3 gigabyte and the the standard case, the fan it too high to slide under the psu.

Anyone have any recommendations for alternative CPU coolers?

Thanks I. Advance :)

Re: CPU fan size

gboz70 said:
Wow I must first thank tony for this and all the gr8 info here. I just ran into my first snag. Using the h61n usb3 gigabyte and the the standard case, the fan it too high to slide under the psu.

Anyone have any recommendations for alternative CPU coolers?

Thanks I. Advance :)

If you will not use additional video -
works fine here, this cooler on my i3:
Scythe SCBSK-1000 BIG Shuriken (Low Profile, fan: 120x120x12)
The frequency of rotation does not rise above 900 never turns.
The average speed is always 780.
very quiet

diddymac649 said:

Check the first post. There is a screenshot. Make sure you update to F7, then get the dsdt with hdmi from dsdt database. Put it on the desktop, select userdsdt, and all the other settings from the first post. I then installed customac tuneup via package on first page (directions are included). The HDMI audio only worked for me from the port under the usb ports...network is working perfectly. I remember having the same issue until installed the dsdt and multibeast settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back