Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gspro,
Try to get a cheap compatible video card and install SL first to see if it's working. From there, see if you can upgrade to Lion.
That's strange that you are having so much problems. Once you have the Lion installer on a usb drive, Lion installation is really quick.

Try reinstalling Lion. After reboot using rBoot disk, go into MB Lion version and select only user DSDT and repair permissions. Make sure to place a copy of DSDT on your desktop and rename to dsdt.aml. Reboot and see if you can restart from HD. If so, then go to the next step on installing network driver first. Reboot and add Audio. That's the best way to minimize booting problems. Make sure to repair permissions/cache every time to add Kext in MB.

matelot said:
gspro,
Try to get a cheap compatible video card and install SL first to see if it's working. From there, see if you can upgrade to Lion.
That's strange that you are having so much problems. Once you have the Lion installer on a usb drive, Lion installation is really quick.
If I boot with iboot, 'About...' shows 10.6.6, and the App Store icon is present. Just can't get ethernet now...Seems that I can only get ethernet detected on the initial sl install.

I have a couple questions about this build. First question is the Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 compatible? Is there enough power and space to add a stand alone GPU? If so what would you recommend for some light weight gaming? I have a limit of around $450 - $500 to spend on hardware (hard drive, PSU, Case, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card). Tips and suggestions would be welcome. Also, I'd like to add the computer will mainly be used for XBMC, Reason, and Logic.

Link to Processor: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Pr ... 819&sr=1-1

Edit: I probably wouldn't need the k edition.

SweetAmmonia said:
I have a couple questions about this build. First question is the Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 compatible? Is there enough power and space to add a stand alone GPU? If so what would you recommend for some light weight gaming? I have a limit of around $450 - $500 to spend on hardware (hard drive, PSU, Case, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card). Tips and suggestions would be welcome. Also, I'd like to add the computer will mainly be used for XBMC, Reason, and Logic.

i5 2500=HD2000
i5 2500K=HD3000

Only HD3000 supported.

Hello! Thank you Tony for all that he does!
Thanks to all who helped as well!
Thank you for your personal kit for MacMini
I installed with Lion partition on my hard drive.
Everything works, but there are artifacts from the video.
Are there any guaranteed ways to solve this problem?
And sorry for bad English. I'm from Russia)

Mate94 said:
SweetAmmonia said:

i5 2500=HD2000
i5 2500K=HD3000

Only HD3000 supported.

If I went with the 2500K do you think I'd be able to take advantage of overclocking the CPU without it overheating my system? I checked out some gaming videos of the HD3000 integrated GPU on youtube and it seems good enough for my needs.

Edit: I read that you need a P67 motherboard to overclock the CPU. So, I guess that would be a no because this build uses a H67. Do you still think this would be a good processor to get even if I can't take advantage of overclocking it, or can I get better bang for my buck with a different processor?

hi everybody,

now i bought these three things:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

installed snow leopard 10.6.3 from Mac OS X Retail DVD without any problems.
but ethernet does not work.
updated to 10.6.7 with combo update (downloaded on another pc) without any problems.
but ethernet still does not work.
i tried MultiBeast 3.9.0: Snow Leopard Edition, selected "easy beast", "system utilities" and in "kext and bootloaders" only the one network kext for gigabyte boards.
after rebooting ethernet does not work.
i tried multibeast only selected system utilities and the gigabyte network kext with no success.
i tried other combinations too but always without success.

one time a window appeared when i was installing something on multibeast. it told me to add a new network, but when i tried it out the window crashed and asked me to send the problem to apple?

where is my mistake?

can anybody help me, i do not have further ideas.

thank you very much

SweetAmmonia said:
Mate94 said:
SweetAmmonia said:

i5 2500=HD2000
i5 2500K=HD3000

Only HD3000 supported.

If I went with the 2500K do you think I'd be able to take advantage of overclocking the CPU without it overheating my system? I checked out some gaming videos of the HD3000 integrated GPU on youtube and it seems good enough for my needs.

Edit: I read that you need a P67 motherboard to overclock the CPU. So, I guess that would be a no because this build uses a H67. Do you still think this would be a good processor to get even if I can't take advantage of overclocking it, or can I get better bang for my buck with a different processor?

For ordinary using the 2500K is more than enough. But if you want the best, choose te 2600K.

yurez54 said:
Hello! Thank you Tony for all that he does!
Thanks to all who helped as well!
Thank you for your personal kit for MacMini
I installed with Lion partition on my hard drive.
Everything works, but there are artifacts from the video.
Are there any guaranteed ways to solve this problem?
And sorry for bad English. I'm from Russia)

Try to install only Lion, not SL-->Lion. For someone it works. Otherwise deal with it. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back