Contribute
Register

October 18th 2021 Apple Event: M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Rosetta 2 will work well enough on these new MBPs to allow better performance for a Windows VM.
"VMware doesn't plan on supporting x86 virtual machines on M1 Macs, and is distancing itself from Windows on ARM VMs on Apple Silicon until Microsoft clarifies its licensing terms."

In the video, Johny Srouji states that M1 Pro "doubles the width of the memory interfaces and uses faster DDR4". This might just mean that there is a second full-size memory bus targeting the second large chiplet. And on the M1 Max, this doubles again because the same full-size bus is duplicated for each of the 4 large memory chiplets.

So although the channel width per chiplet may be the same as on M1, the fact that it is duplicated once for each chiplet would account for the higher bandwidths:
  • M1 = 1 memory bus = 100GB/s bandwidth
  • M1 Pro = 2 buses = 200GB/s
  • M1 Max = 4 buses = 400GB/s
P.S. This is just my best guess.
It’s the same bandwidth of a single module of DDR5-6400 , so I guess it’s ddr5.

Until I can run a Windows VM in VMware Fusion, no Apple silicon for me.
Hopefully we’ll have some good compatibility with Alder Lake cpus and z690 mobos… they will be out in two weeks.

And if compatibility is there, ddr5, pciex5 will give us a good boost in performance.

Okay so I watched the whole event today. Have to say I was mightily impressed.
I certainly didn't see that coming, especially with the new M1 Max and M1 Pro.
The specs and performance they are touting are astonishing to say the least -
you literally have the power of a mighty new Mac Pro now on your laptop! With
that kind of performance and specs, it's no wonder. I kind of expect people are
going to upgrade their systems this time. And this time it may not have an Intel
chip inside.

This announcement is surely a bombshell for sure. A bombshell for the PC industry,
a wake up call. Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Samsung, Qualcomm, Xylinx - they're all affected.
By what exactly? By the power efficiency of the new M1 Pro and M1 Max chips. And it
was all started by Intel (ironically) because they chose to sit on their laurels when
Skylake was still king. Had they made efforts to make the system and main core
performance boosts like AMD did with 7nm they wouldn't be where they are today.

That said, I get a feeling with the announcement that Intel is no longer welcome
on the Apple campus despite Intels' insistence they want to 'win back' Apples trust
and business. Now that the Thunderbolt chip is integrated into the M1 PRO, it's
gonna be tricky for them to navigate their relationship with Apple.

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 7.28.31 AM.png

There are probably only 3 models now that have an Intel chip on them - the i5 Mac
Mini, the 27" i9 iMac and the Xeon Mac Pro. Unless Intel has something else special
up their sleeve, Apple is likely to be sticking to their own designs for the near future.

> https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/18/apple-macbook-pro-lineup-no-intel-chips/

That said, I think Apple is doing a tremendous job with the pricing - a Macbook
Pro 14" is the cost of a single Nvidia RTX 3080 gpu!. Considering the worldwide chip
shortage going on at the moment, you're getting a lot of computing power for the money.

That said, I think a hackintosh setup is still a great option because Apple's M1 series
can't do native x86 and certainly not x86 multiboot nor user system drive/PCIe upgrades.
In building our hackintoshes I think we now also have new product benchmarks to
consider - pricing and system efficiency or P/P ratio. Looking at this, I think AMD
Ryzens are a worthy contender as an alternative to the rather expensive Macbook Pros.

Max and Vadim Yuryev bought 8 of these new MBPs in various configurations. I'm sure many will be going back before 30 days are up. So if you want to see reviews of all the different upgrade options, they'll be testing them. They also have to destroy all the M1X T-shirts they printed. LOL.

Last edited:
Max and Vadim Yuryev bought 8 of these new MBPs in various configurations. I'm sure many will be going back before 30 days are up. So if you want to see reviews of all the different upgrade options, they'll be testing them. They also have to destroy all the M1X T-shirts they printed. LOL.

I’ve been watching a slew of YouTube videos and I’m thrilled to see everyone simply gushing over the new MacBook Pros. This was one of the most exciting Apple Events in recent memory.

Based on today’s event I can’t imagine how supercalifragilistic the new Mac Pro will be. “Can’t innovate any more, my a$$!” Those words were never more true than today.

It’s the same bandwidth of a single module of DDR5-6400 , so I guess it’s ddr5.
It's LPDDR5 memory, not DDR5. Different standard, from a different industry body. Don't compare it with the DDR4/DDR5 you could put in a desktop.

X86/X64 compatibility? I'm prepared to keep a second system on my desk for that. A SFF HP or Dell is all I need.
And what about the storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back