Contribute
Register

NVMe in external enclosures disconnecting

I use the Acacias 40GBPS enclosures and Samsung 2TB 990Pro. No issues with read/write and is fast. I also use them between my hack and M2 Mac Studio
so no spontaneous drive disconnects? Do you keep your drive plugged-in full-time?

Just as a footnote to this thread...

I use Orico external NVMe enclosures, but NOT the 40GBs ones, nor Acasis brand, so I bear that in mind before I say -

1) I agree it seems odd that the M1 Studio would give you spontaneous disconnects. However ...

2) It does NOT seem odd that the Hackintosh would.

Point 2, all down to power delivery.

I find cable length can also factor into the issue. Generally the cables supplied with the drive enclosure work if plugged directly in the computer.

I would not expect the Z97X motherboard USB sub-system to deliver enough power for prolonged connections at high speed, if at all. At best it's basic spec USB3.

I've never had to return an SSD as faulty, sticking with well-known brands.

So, sorry that doesn't really help. But I'm inclined to think power delivery is the problem, rather than the SSD. Also OWC make good kit compatible with macOS but perhaps not so fast.

:)

I use a couple of Sabrent toolless NVMe 10Gb USB-C with 4 diff SSDs and never seen a glitch with enclosure. These connect both via the rear C and the front case C port with its header and long cable. Both work great.

The rear ports (TB4) don't remount the drive after a reboot until I physically replug, but the front C port always comes back. (I never solved sleep on my hack either.)

Enclusuree are plugged in all the time and used as workhorse and perfectly reliable including with Samsung 970 Plus (early gen) and 980 Pro.

Also work with C to A adapters Mac, Win, Linux.

I am finding that all my NVMe after being well used settle into about 1.5 to 2.5 GB/s max writes so a 10Gb interface is less of a hindrance than high-end specs suggest.

I know that reports of things working are not really helpful, but these ext enclosures have been good.

There was a aftermarket FW update which I applied years ago. So don't forget to look into this for your kit.

Back