Contribute
Register

Nvidia SLI in a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bump up an older thread but I am going to be installing Mountain Lion on my PC currently configured with 2 560 Ti's in SLi. They are connected via the ribbon to make them SLi but do I need to disconnect that before I install Mt Lion? I tried booting into the installer but when it passed the white screen it just went black and nothing popped up so I think the SLi caused an error.

I think I might dual boot Mountain Lion and use Windows 8 for gaming because my steam library consists of 51 cames and only 13 are mac compatible.

Getting up and running the Hackintosh is my main goal right now.

Thanks.

Hi,

Nope, no need to disconnect anything, OS X will see 2 GPU's, and both of them will be usable, they just won't operate TOGETHER in a game.
I've got a setup with 2x 670GTX in SLI configuration, multiboot with Windows 7, and everything is fine :)

Hi! So sorry for this bump, but i have 2 gtx 780ti and 3 monitors, 2 of them are connected in the 1st gpu and the 3th is connected in the second gpu, all with DVI dual link, (SLI brige is connected) i know that the SLI is not supported but, why the video is only displayed on the first gpu? i have the video only on 2 monitors! WHYYYY?

Both cards will show up, but not in SLI configuration. You will be able to use both for Cuda or OpenCL operations, just won't help for gaming.

Can you confirm this while running After Effects or Premiere CC ?? Currently I'm running 770 4GB with 1500 Cuda Cores if I'm correct adding additional same card I will be able to use and utilise total of 3000 Cuda cores for render ? This will be a game changer for me because I will no longer need to buy single Tital Black card. Thanks !

Can you confirm this while running After Effects or Premiere CC ?? Currently I'm running 770 4GB with 1500 Cuda Cores if I'm correct adding additional same card I will be able to use and utilise total of 3000 Cuda cores for render ? This will be a game changer for me because I will no longer need to buy single Tital Black card. Thanks !

Hi guys,

I'd really like to know about this too, does anyone have any information? I'm thinking about adding a second gtx 580 for After Effects and some opencl accelerated photography software.

Hi guys,

I'd really like to know about this too, does anyone have any information? I'm thinking about adding a second gtx 580 for After Effects and some opencl accelerated photography software.

Me too... I realised my GTX 750 is not doing the work.. Someone know something about this?

Is there any sign of SLI ever working properly for gaming on a Hackintosh?

FWIW - folks that have hackintoshes and are benchmarking final cut show a marked improvement with two cards vs one. http://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

I know AMD cards are more common for FCPx, so YMMV with Nvidia\Cuda - I've only paid attention to AMD related specifics on that, because AMD tends to be considerably faster than Nvidia for FCPx - but I presume it's the same. I know Nvidia tends to work better with heavy Adobe stuff.

So to be clear, while the SLI performance is not available in games or live 3D rendering, the CUDA cores and OpenCL operations will continue to benefit from two cards, so people with dual boot systems will be able to game with SLI performance in Windows and in Mac OS X utilize the dual GPUs for their performance gains in programs such as Adobe After Effects and Premiere, as well as video rendering overall performance gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back