Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (378.05.05.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably, you can command line install packages. cp kexts, do kext rebuilds etc... but why go through the trouble? I'm familiar with all those steps and wouldn't want to do it that way/lookup each command to double check. The issue is centered around graphics. Since it shows you are using near the same card as me, if you worried just add the boot flag

nv_disable=1

It's basically "safe mode" for graphics. So if plugged into the 1060 graphics will look/run like they are in safe mode but it's not technically "safe mode" and you can update your kexts, run the system security update, and also update to the newest nvidia driver (altho you may need to do that after reboot). Get another HDD and make a clone of your essential repair tools/kext/info etc... with carbon copy cloner onto a flash drive (DONT FORGET TO COPY THE HIDDEN EFI PARTITION TOO) then worst case you boot off that and try to repair your mistakes without being limited to only a shell (not as if that's much of a "limit" :p). Hope that answered your question? I would say go for it. My worst case issues have been minor and they gone now, that's on top of overclocking and mining almost 27/4 while using it. Pretty sure it's stable enough.

FYI: I see you are pretty new it looks like from posts, so ill try to share some info to save you time. Anytime you update/add a kext to your system (to support hardware) or mostly that really... you need to rebuild the cache index otherwise the computer will use the old kext file cached and not the one you moved into the directory. I personally use this tool which does some checking and the rebuilds itself and you just drag/drop kext's into it. It also makes backups of the files it replaces. http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4

If you are moving the kext files into their location manually via terminal, run this. Don't think it backs up old ones but it will sure the system boots next time with the kexts you updated/added.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Last edited:
Probably, you can command line install packages. cp kexts, do kext rebuilds etc... but why go through the trouble? I'm familiar with all those steps and wouldn't want to do it that way/lookup each command to double check. The issue is centered around graphics. Since it shows you are using near the same card as me, if you worried just add the boot flag

nv_disable=1

It's basically "safe mode" for graphics. So if plugged into the 1060 graphics will look/run like they are in safe mode but it's not technically "safe mode" and you can update your kexts, run the system security update, and also update to the newest nvidia driver (altho you may need to do that after reboot). Get another HDD and make a clone of your essential repair tools/kext/info etc... with carbon copy cloner onto a flash drive then worst case you boot off that and try to repair your mistakes without being limited to only a shell (not as if that's much of a "limit" :p). Hope that answered your question? I would say go for it. My worst case issues have been minor and they gone now, that's on top of overclocking and mining almost 27/4 while using it. Pretty sure it's stable enough.

I had to restart yesterday and it installed the latest Sierra security update (10.12.6) and it's making nv_disable=1 not work. That's why I have to mount my EFI and follow the steps in this post. But I can only seem to boot in safe mode. I tried launching from a recovery drive but about 3/4 of the progress bar it beachballs.

Is there any more specific steps to disable my nvidia car so I can boot not in safe mode?

Hey, guys!

Can anybody tell me quick, if I need the drivers if I am using this card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Thanks,
Efe

I'va just install the last update of Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1314) and the last nvidia drivers are not compatible with it :(
My 4K screen return back to 1024x768 resolution with my GF GTX 1050Ti
I hope nVidia built a new driver quickly!

I'va just install the last update of Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1314) and the last nvidia drivers are not compatible with it :(
My 4K screen return back to 1024x768 resolution with my GF GTX 1050Ti
I hope nVidia built a new driver quickly!

Try the method to use older drivers here.

I'va just install the last update of Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1314) and the last Nvidia drivers are not compatible with it :(
My 4K screen returns back to 1024x768 resolution with my GF GTX 1050Ti
I hope Nvidia built a new driver quickly!
My 4K runs fine. There are some minor issues but the Nvidia web drivers are most definitely compatible....

After the update (10.12.6), the new driver does not pick up. Does anyone have such a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back