Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Vostro 3560
CPU
i7 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 4000
Hi

I've got a hackintosh install of Mojave up and running on my system now without the 980.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H with 4770k, 16gb ddr3, gtx980 and k600.

If I install the 980 following the 'workaround' instructions, will the performance of the k600 drop as well? In other words, will macOS perform fine on the screens connected to the k600 (and suck on the ones connected to the 980)?

I need two cards because of the number of displays I use. The main ones are connected to the k600, the other ones (including the tv) to the 980.

I can use the full performance under Windows for gaming etc so that's fine, but it would be nice to use them as an extra display under macOS for reading or something.

Thanks!

and suck on the ones connected to the 980
The GTX 980 will definitely suck in Mojave, there are no drivers for it.

The Quadro NVS 510 would be the best choice as you can connect 4 4K displays to it via DP. You should be able to adapt mini-DP to HDMI for the TV. Not sure how good that works, depends on the model of TV and the kind of adapter you get. Active ones cost more but work better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM50QJC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKLDBMK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This card includes the 4 mini DP to full size DP adapters. Do your monitors have DP inputs or just HDMI ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

I know of the issues, it's just... black/disconnected screens or something (even though very crappy). If I can still operate macOS fine on the k600 connected screens (they're my main ones), that's all I want, the perfomance of the others doesn't matter its better than just nothing at all.

I've also got no cash to spend on other hardware just a student :) Thanks for the recommendation though. My monitors use VGA with a ton of VGA to hdmi converters and DVI adapters where possible. Hence the need of two cards because some of them won't work with a converter. Everything I got is e-waste (even the gpus where free/thrown away)

Everything I got is e-waste (even the gpus where free/thrown away)
Don't think you'll find an NVS 510 in a dumpster but who knows. What may be best is to have one gaming PC with the 980 in it and the other hackintosh with the K600. Then you can use all the screens at once. Look on local online sites for used PCs you may find a good one for a steal.

Here's an idea, find one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hp-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF-i5-3470-3-20GHz-8GB-500GB-HDD-4212/164406493182 Install your K600 into it and you may be able to run 3 monitors with it. Then use your 4770K system with the 980 installed to game in windows. Dual booting Windows and macOS is a PITA anyway and always causes trouble, even if the gfx card is fully supported.

Last edited:
If I can still operate macOS fine on the k600 connected screens
To disable the GTX 980 you must boot with nv_disable=1 but that will disable the K600 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back