Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently rebuilt my Hackintosh and switched from Chimera to Clover to install El Capitan but I'm having some issues and I can't find a solution in any of the many forums and posts I've searched through.

My the primary components of my system:
• Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600

• Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor

• Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH

• Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Overclocked 4GB GDDR5 PCiE Video Card

I have two main issues. The first is with the graphics card. In my Yosemite build, it worked great. It powered three screens, no problem. Still does when I boot into Windows, but on the new El Capitan boot drive, it will only power one monitor at a time and has no ability to switch resolutions, etc. I assume this is because it's not actually using the web driver from Nvidia, even though it is installed, as is the CUDA driver. Nothing I have tried has gotten the Nvidia driver to work properly though. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I can do to make it work?

The second issue is that when I have the Window boot drive connected, I can't boot into OSX through Clover. It just gives the circle with a slash through it prompt. I have to shut it down, physically disconnect the Windows 10 boot drive and then it loads up fine after that. Any thoughts there? I'd love to be able to select which drive I boot off of through Clover every time I start up.

**EDIT**
For the second issue, I determined that my Windows Boot Volume was formatted as Legacy and not UEFI. I backed up everything, did a fresh install of Windows 10 as a UEFI partition and low an behold, it works fine and I can easily switch which OS I want to boot to, out of the Clover Bootloader. The only thing now is that there are a bunch of extra drives that pop up still that I can't do anything with. Would love to clean that up if anyone knows how...

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

I recently rebuilt my Hackintosh and switched from Chimera to Clover to install El Capitan but I'm having some issues and I can't find a solution in any of the many forums and posts I've searched through.

My the primary components of my system:
• Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600

• Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor

• Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH

• Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Overclocked 4GB GDDR5 PCiE Video Card

I have two main issues. The first is with the graphics card. In my Yosemite build, it worked great. It powered three screens, no problem. Still does when I boot into Windows, but on the new El Capitan boot drive, it will only power one monitor at a time and has no ability to switch resolutions, etc. I assume this is because it's not actually using the web driver from Nvidia, even though it is installed, as is the CUDA driver. Nothing I have tried has gotten the Nvidia driver to work properly though. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I can do to make it work?

The second issue is that when I have the Window boot drive connected, I can't boot into OSX through Clover. It just gives the circle with a slash through it prompt. I have to shut it down, physically disconnect the Windows 10 boot drive and then it loads up fine after that. Any thoughts there? I'd love to be able to select which drive I boot off of through Clover every time I start up.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!
1. Are you using nvda_drv=1 boot flag with the drivers?
2.Take a look atMulti Booting

What system definition do you use? Please strip out your serial number, UUID and rt variables then post your config.plist. Also, do you have a patched DSDT/SSDTs? If so, please post them as well.

I'll do my best to point you in the right direction without seeing your config. I have to work tonight and won't be available later. Ken has the right idea.

The nvidia web driver uses nvram to to tell OS X what driver to load at boot time. Both clover and chimera (chameleon) have the ability to do emulated nvram function (store and call nvram values in a file) but clover has the ability to do true nvram if you use the correct driver and your mobo and bios support it. Regardless of nvram, we can tell OS X which Nvidia driver to use with the boot argument nvda-drv=1 or 0 instead of using the nvidia preference pane which might not work for you. 1 = Nvidia Web wile 0 = OS X default.

Make sure that you have nvda-drv=1 and that you do NOT have nv_disable=1 in the boot args string of your config.plist.

For your HDDs, try adding the name of your OS X boot drive as the default boot option in the config.plist. Also, suspect that you have no timeout set or it is set to 0. I think -1 is wait infinitely for a choice but I'm not sure. See zetam's clover wiki for more info.

Thanks guys,
Yeah, I have in the boot arg list nvda_drv=1 but as soon as I get rid of nv_disable=1 it won't load at all. I just get the circle with a slash through it.

Here is my config.plist: Hopefully is can shed some light.
View attachment config.plist

Thanks guys,
Yeah, I have in the boot arg list nvda_drv=1 but as soon as I get rid of nv_disable=1 it won't load at all. I just get the circle with a slash through it.

Here is my config.plist: Hopefully is can shed some light.
View attachment 175664
You have a problem with config.plist,if you changed things in it what did you use? From what i see>>Change inject nvidia to false,boot flags...kext-dev-mode has no purpose in El Cap. Try with dart=0 and nvda_drv=1 only.also need to set BooterConfig to 0x28 CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 in Rt Variables. Start with this and we can go from there.

Thank you Ken394. Unfortunately, after I updated the config file, the system stopped booting. I just get the flashing circle with a slash through it logo. I've tried every combination of the boot args but nothing seems to get it to boot up. I changed the config file in textedit. Should I have used Configurator or something like that? What is the best way to return the config.plist back so it'll boot at all? Booting in Safe Mode doesn't work either...

Thank you Ken394. Unfortunately, after I updated the config file, the system stopped booting. I just get the flashing circle with a slash through it logo. I've tried every combination of the boot args but nothing seems to get it to boot up. I changed the config file in textedit. Should I have used Configurator or something like that? What is the best way to return the config.plist back so it'll boot at all? Booting in Safe Mode doesn't work either...
Clover configurator should work, however didn't for me on the one you posted and not xcode either.

kext-dev-mode has no purpose in El Cap.
New version of clover adds kext-dev-mode=1 whether it's in the config or not having it there doesn't hurt anything. You can see this when rebuilding caches:
Code:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext

also need to set BooterConfig to 0x28 CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 in Rt Variables.
The newer versions of clover also handle this automatically so you shouldn't need to add those if clover is up to date.

Here is a error in the xml structure from your config:
Code:
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>
[COLOR=#ff0000]    </dict>[/COLOR]
    <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>

Try the attached config

Attachments