Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it very difficult to believe that nvidia is having a hard time developing drivers. I think if they wanted drivers, a skilled team of Computer Scientists would have made those drivers in no time. I think they just don't want to allocate the resources. All I'm trying to say is that i doubt there is a team working on them for so long. So the question is, why nvidia wanted apple developers at the first place ? The only logical conclusion is that they want their gpus in a mac.

I find it very difficult to believe that nvidia is having a hard time developing drivers. I think if they wanted drivers, a skilled team of Computer Scientists would have made those drivers in no time. I think they just don't want to allocate the resources. All I'm trying to say is that i doubt there is a team working on them for so long. So the question is, why nvidia wanted apple developers at the first place ? The only logical conclusion is that they want their gpus in a mac.

ypanagidis: I think this has been discussed. They're not having a hard time developing drivers, they just don't have a reason to release them. No Mac computer uses Pascal cards yet, so if they DID release them it's obvious to Apple (their business partner) that they're helping the hackintosh community out. Apple doesn't like that, and NVIDIA would rather have Apple money than support the hackintosh community.

tl;dr as long as NVIDIA at Apple's mercy, they won't release NVIDIA drivers for Pascal. This makes me a little afraid for the future of hackintoshing.

ypanagidis: I think this has been discussed. They're not having a hard time developing drivers, they just don't have a reason to release them. No Mac computer uses Pascal cards yet, so if they DID release them it's obvious to Apple (their business partner) that they're helping the hackintosh community out. Apple doesn't like that, and NVIDIA would rather have Apple money than support the hackintosh community.

tl;dr as long as NVIDIA at Apple's mercy, they won't release NVIDIA drivers for Pascal. This makes me a little afraid for the future of hackintoshing.

Then why do they want apple devs ?

Nvidia hasn't updated the listings to 10.12.2 yet so still hope. Just looked!

upload_2016-12-13_18-18-8.png

I finally broke down and bought a GTX 980 TI ($300 on craigslist, couldn't refuse). I just can't wait for Apple/Nvidia to get the new Pascal cards working anymore. It's working great with my Apple 30" monitor.
I bet we'll see VEGA drivers before we see PASCAL drivers.

Did the same here.

Just SLI an exact card if you really want Titan X Pascal performance.

A single 1080 is only 10-15% faster than a 980Ti. The 1080Ti is the true successor to the 980Ti.

The 1080 is just a more efficient card, which means better TDP/Thermals and has a few new features that will be used in games in a year or two.

Once the 1080Ti comes, 1080 prices will come down and 980Ti is pretty much end of life right now, but still a beastly card, it's just that it runs REALLY hot unless you water cool it (I'm in the process of doing that in the next few weeks since I'm doing SLI as well, but for now using a single 980Ti since my case is mATX and the fans run like a jet engine).

I feel sad, the 1080 FTW edition is beautiful and beastly card, but have to be pragmatic. Hopefully when Vega comes out, we can get it working on the Hackintosh side with Apple drivers and we won't be a lost cause.

*Crosses ALL fingers*

nVidia has been updating drivers for Maxwell and all Sierra releases, what if they are nice enough to release Pascal support .....but I'm a pessimist :(
I think they will. Why else would the driver list go 10.12.0 and 10.12.1? I think 10.12.2 will release soon. Might be a day or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back