Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce 5xx Graphics in Lion [TEST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shadywack

My cinebench score is low, too.
Running OpenGL Driver Monitor (Parameter: GPU Core Utilization) I have learned that the GTX 570 changes between Throttle mode 0 and 1 every 3 seconds. GPU load goes up to 70% then it falls down quickly below 20%. Then it goes slowly up to about 25% and then suddenly again up to 70%.

mode 0 = maximum power
mode 1 = medium performance

NovaBench's GPU test is much more accurate and predictable. It stays in Mode 0 all the time.

Those 93/97 threshold values are actually pointing to % GPU Idle
At first I thought it meant GPU load, but that didn't make sense.

I will run a few tests during the weekend and report back. For instance I still get a lagging interface when using QuickLook while browsing a TimeMachine backup opening and closing images, pdfs, etc.

I recommend not letting the G-state 3 to happen. This mode means lowest speed and if you wanted to switch spaces, expose or anything like that you will experience a lagging interface. If the GPU is 97%, 98%, 99% or 100% idle.

To avoid the G-state 3 edit the values like that:
Code:
Threshold_Low
3     99 or even 100
Threshold_High
3    100

On my machine G-state 2 only consumes 5W more energy than G-state 3 during idle.
So I think it's worth the investment to get a much smoother user interface right from the start.

Any ideas on how to get this 560 Ti working?

Added device id to plist. I think this is working as i have the proper device name in system information and there are quite a few populated fields for the graphics card when you get a system report. Any other way to make sure this is working?

Installed latest CUDA from nvidia.com

Added npci=0x2000 (would not boot without it)

And still i can not change resolution on my machine. Also checked for drop effect in dashboard and there was none present. (yes i turned off spaces for dashboard)

Anyone?

DonutHands said:
Any ideas on how to get this 560 Ti working?

Added device id to plist. I think this is working as i have the proper device name in system information and there are quite a few populated fields for the graphics card when you get a system report. Any other way to make sure this is working?

Installed latest CUDA from nvidia.com

Added npci=0x2000 (would not boot without it)

And still i can not change resolution on my machine. Also checked for drop effect in dashboard and there was none present. (yes i turned off spaces for dashboard)

Anyone?

Did you also add Graphics Mode and Graphics Enabler in boot.list?

yup

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 pcirootuid=1 npci=0x2000</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>

Jordan2Delta said:
@shadywack

My cinebench score is low, too.
Running OpenGL Driver Monitor (Parameter: GPU Core Utilization) I have learned that the GTX 570 changes between Throttle mode 0 and 1 every 3 seconds. GPU load goes up to 70% then it falls down quickly below 20%. Then it goes slowly up to about 25% and then suddenly again up to 70%.

mode 0 = maximum power
mode 1 = medium performance

NovaBench's GPU test is much more accurate and predictable. It stays in Mode 0 all the time.

Those 93/97 threshold values are actually pointing to % GPU Idle
At first I thought it meant GPU load, but that didn't make sense.

I will run a few tests during the weekend and report back. For instance I still get a lagging interface when using QuickLook while browsing a TimeMachine backup opening and closing images, pdfs, etc.

I recommend not letting the G-state 3 to happen. This mode means lowest speed and if you wanted to switch spaces, expose or anything like that you will experience a lagging interface. If the GPU is 97%, 98%, 99% or 100% idle.

To avoid the G-state 3 edit the values like that:
Code:
Threshold_Low
3     99 or even 100
Threshold_High
3    100

On my machine G-state 2 only consumes 5W more energy than G-state 3 during idle.
So I think it's worth the investment to get a much smoother user interface right from the start.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I've eliminated switching to mode 3, and my nova bench score is at 1776 now, Cinebench is still 30fps. Interesting discrepancy between the benchmarks though. I think at this point there's just a bug in the OpenGL on 5xx cards.

How did Advann score 48fps in cinebench ??!?

@shadywack

You're welcome! :wave:

@DonutHands

arch=i386 pcirootuid=1

Are you 100% sure about that?
Since you are using "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" I thought pcirootuid would be detected correctly.

arch=i386
is for forcing Lion to start up in 32bit mode. Lion is focused on 64bit though. Apple decided to exclude Macs because they can't handle 64bit, so.....

Maybe try booting without the two kernel flags above?
I have never needed it. And I remember I had difficulties starting up in 32bit mode in the past.

Oh, and better add -v to your kernel flag to boot up in verbose mode. This is crucial to get real OpenGL mode working. Well, at least for me.

And have you tried rebuilding your kext caches? Maybe kext and Info.plist edits aren't recognized by the system yet.

For trying out different thresholds on the Info.plist I only need to
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

I have GTX 570 from Point of View with 2,5 GB VRAM. It also has ID 1086. Adding device ID didn´t work, i got full resolution with ATY-Init.kext. UI is quite smooth, but acceleration is missing (don´t see the water effect when adding a widget to dashboard). To my surprise, the doubled VRAM is recognized in system profiler :thumbup:

10.7.2 11C37
AsusGTX580 works without problem by adding 1080 in NVDAGF100hal.kext, open CL even without work, but OpenGL works. GraphicsEnabler YES

Attachments

• NVDAGF100Hal.kext 10.7.2 11C37.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 80
I did a clean install of Lion and immediately upgraded to 10.7.2 (11C35), all using the built in video and Tony's steps to enable full resolution video for the i5-2500k chip. Then I added the EVGA GTX 560 Ti card and the system booted without issues and I have full resolution at 1920x1200. The name of the card shows up properly in the system profiler, with 0x1200 as the Device ID. All this was without further editing of kexts or anything else.

The only problem is that the system locked up after 5 hours of use. How do I diagnose and fix this? Should I be installing any other drivers if the system is working fine other than this? I have a transparent toolbar, so QE should be working. How do I test for Open GL/CL or CUDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back