Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce 5xx Graphics in Lion [TEST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jordan2Delta said:
@Rick5
npci=0x2000 is used to get beyond the infamous [PCI config begin] issue at boot time. You can only see it when starting up using verbose mode. In reality it boots fine till the login screen without npci-0x2000. But as you can imagine, people think the machine has frozen at [PCI config begin] and are starting to reset/reboot their machines.

That's why :D

Thanks...but that part of it I understand. It's precisely why I added it to mine. I guess my questions really is, what is it really doing. I know it's used for the PCI config begin problem, but how does it fix it?

If the explanation is too long and technical, is there a link to a site where it is published so I could read about it?

Thanks very much,

Rick

I got the hint from netkas:
http://netkas.org/?p=849

Sorry, I don't have a detailed technical explanation what it is doing. I can only assume it ignores a certain bug or error to tell "verbose mode" whether there is an error at [PCI configuration begin] or not, to go on anyway.

I agree it would be interesting to learn how someone could find this fix. :)

GTX 560TI user got big news no nullcpupowermanagement.kext need i have patch speed stepper applecpupowermanagement.kext

BEFOR AND AFTER RUNNING GAME FOR 6 HOUR

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 3.16.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 3.16.21 PM.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 6.10.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 6.10.37 PM.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 212
Advann said:
GTX 560TI user got big news no nullcpupowermanagement.kext need i have patch speed stepper applecpupowermanagement.kext

wooow, your model card is??

Jordan2Delta said:
I got the hint from netkas:
http://netkas.org/?p=849

Sorry, I don't have a detailed technical explanation what it is doing. I can only assume it ignores a certain bug or error to tell "verbose mode" whether there is an error at [PCI configuration begin] or not, to go on anyway.

I agree it would be interesting to learn how someone could find this fix. :)

Thanks very much...I'll look there!!
Greatly appreciated,

Rick

Advann said:

These are some pretty phenomenal results.....congrats on the great work.
Any chance of a step by step for this?

Thanks
Rick

Advann said:

How does the patching to speed stepper applecpupowermanagement.kext

Jordan - A few posts back you mentioned how in my agpm the thresholds were really high and you wondered why. Well I don't know why they are the numbers that they are

BUT

I was digging through the MacPro5,1 section and noticed that the threshold values were similar

MacPro5,1
Device id = 05e2 (this is a Geforce 260)

Threshold high:

0:87
1:87
2:87
3:100

Threshold low:

0:0
1:87
2:87
3:87

MacPro5,1
Device0640 (Nvidia GT 120)

High:

0:93
1:93
2:93
3:100

Low:

0:0
1:97
2:97
3:97

So you can see that Apple does not vary these numbers much at all. Why? I have no idea. It's like this for every card that has threshold entires.

Now granted these aren't power hungry cards like the 580. I have a killawatt coming this week and will be using that to experiment with custom threshold settings.

Stick to playing games in Windows ;)

rdurty2 said:
Stick to playing games in Windows ;)
Haha. I'm sure I will. But you don't think the lack of OpenGL might creep up and affect something else more essential?

Edit: I'm really just using my current rig to test OSX86 out, before I use my music partner's funding to build our real studio machine with a Core i5-2500K and a Radeon 6850 or something. So, I'm just trying to get a feel for things, and how it all works (or doesn't). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back