Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce 5xx Graphics in Lion [TEST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheQuestian said:
dinosaurcam said:
I have it at IMac 12,2
MAXp0wr posted a most outstanding AGPM.kext file on page 44, I believe. It is for a GTX 570 1086 ID (he also posted one for a 1081 ID earlier) . . . not sure I recall what card you are running. If you are running a GTX 570, I have a whole folder of files I don't mind uploading to see if it would be of help. :thumbup:

Yeah I think I may have used his or yours before. I guess maybe if you could upload it again. I'm just not sure why the new install doesn't look like the old. Maybe because old was 10.7.2 11C48 and new is 10.7.1. I'll look for MAXp0wr's also. I have the same card as you EVGA GTX 570

OK guys, I solved my KP's and I can't believe that this cost me several days of testing :)
It was the damn voodoohda.kext that gave me random KP's. I removed it an all of a sudden everthing works.
Additionally I need to set the kernel flag npci=0x2000 but I read a thread where you can edit the DSDT.aml so that this flag is not needed anymore:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=700

manjiru said:
Hello, guys. I would ask you guys about temp of GTX580 in Lion. Idle/Full load temp. Because I am thinking of buying GTX580. Thank you. :)

I have yet found a way to get temp readings for the GPU within OS X.

aznguyen316 said:
manjiru said:
Hello, guys. I would ask you guys about temp of GTX580 in Lion. Idle/Full load temp. Because I am thinking of buying GTX580. Thank you. :)

I have yet found a way to get temp readings for the GPU within OS X.

Hello aznguyen316. Thank you for reply. I use iStat Menu 3.16 for monitoring the temp in Lion. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130692&Tpk=570%20classified
EVGA GTX570 Classified 1280Mb 1081

My System before installing the 570:
GA-EX58-UD4P
i7 920 @4GHz
6GB XMS3
Chimera 1.5.4
Mac Pro 3,1

So, I picked up a GTX570 (linked above) on tuesday and I've been pulling my hair out all week while trying to get it to work.

I was replacing a faulty 6870, so I was able to add the Device ID to NVDAGF100Hal.kext before swapping out the cards, and added GraphicsEnabler=Yes and Graphics Mode to my chameleon.Boot.plist (Actually Chameleon Wizard was awesome for making quick edits).

So, I boot back into the desktop and things look good: The card is recognised properly, I've got full resolution, QE seems to be working fine and a patched GeForceGLDriver.bundle gives me OpenCL. Unfortunately, OpenGL is a no-go.

Cue days of messing around with boot flags and chameleon versions and system identifiers, and more than a few times having to restore Lion due to a messed up install of something-or-other. Thankfully I have a separate drive with a clone of my main install so I can easily get back to a working state.

Always the same result: everything works fine bar OpenGL.

Anyway, I read about some people having luck out-of-box with some of the 10.7.2 seeds, so I figure I'll give it a try.

I'm glad I did :D

10.7.2 (11C57)
Chimera 1.5.4
iMac 12,2
NVDAGF100Hal.kext edited to include 1081
Graphics Enabler=Yes & Graphics Mode

Boots to a desktop with working QE & OpenGL (woohoo!)

However, Cinebench gives a woeful 10fps

So, I stick this:
Code:
<key>Vendor10deDevice1081</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>250</integer>
						<key>SensorOption</key>
						<integer>1</integer>
						<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
						<integer>4</integer>
						<key>TargetCount</key>
						<integer>5</integer>
						<key>Threshold_High</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>45</integer>
							<integer>75</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>87</integer>
							<integer>98</integer>
						</array>
					</dict>
					<key>LogControl</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
					<key>control-id</key>
					<integer>18</integer>
				</dict>
in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext under iMac 12,2 and Cinebench is giving a more respectable 41fps
20110918-f4tnt48i5ky29gmsw21g2b2bri.jpg

And XBench is happy
20110918-rtu6eep1iw32d89yj9rg29x5m1.jpg

If not quite as fast as my old GTX260
20110918-feh7rb568aqxdpbbdmf8rqa6sp.jpg

And NovaBench isn't too shabby, either
20110918-qm64dwcct3hkd1uh74eqd2audf.jpg

I've still got to do some tweaking to the AGPM, but all-in-all I'm well chuffed :D

Many thanks for all the great info contained within these threads ;)

So Far ive managed to get it installed and Working no issues, but have the pesky '' Unknown 1024MB Nvidia '' in the About this mac ... granted its not a big issue , but its a cosmetic one ... and u know women we cant stand Cosmetic Problems ! :p

If you use OSX86Tools to create an EFI string for your card, you can have it say anything you want :)

<-- I have mine saying that rather than the generic Nvidia name.

As for my AGPM, I've been playing around a bit and have settled on this:

Code:
				<key>Vendor10deDevice1081</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Heuristic</key>
					<dict>
						<key>ID</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>IdleInterval</key>
						<integer>250</integer>
						<key>SensorOption</key>
						<integer>1</integer>
						<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
						<integer>4</integer>
						<key>TargetCount</key>
						<integer>5</integer>
						<key>Threshold_High</key>
						<array>
							<integer>50</integer>
							<integer>75</integer>
							<integer>99</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Threshold_Low</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>99</integer>
							<integer>99</integer>
							<integer>100</integer>
						</array>
					</dict>
					<key>LogControl</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
					<key>control-id</key>
					<integer>18</integer>
				</dict>
Which keeps it in G-State 2 most of the time and ramps up to 1 & 0 quickly enough when needed, while taking it's time dropping back down, and it'll never drop to G-State 3.

It still means that in the likes of Novabench there's a few seconds of reduced performance before it kicks up to full speed.

As that's something that's only annoying when running benchmarks, I can put up with it in exchange for reduced power consumption.

Just wanted to post and say thank you to everyone in this thread who helped figure this stuff out. I spent a week trying to get my GTX 570 to work correctly in Lion and now it does. Now if I could only find information about getting audio out of the HDMI, lol.

Thanks again!

Happy new Hackintosh builder!

Squinoogle, does your 560 Ti feels the same as your old 260 GTX, or any slower than your faulty HD 6870 on a daily basis?
Wasn't it easer to get your old 6870 working than your new 560?

I'm debating between HD 6870, HD 6950 and 560 Ti, for an update to my 260 GTX that works great but it's getting old, and I'm also seeking for HDMI audio out and less idle noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back