Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, show OpenCL benchmark with Vega 56.

Also, could you test this RyzenGraphic_27.blend file with Blender 2.79.7 (latest here https://builder.blender.org/download/)?
Don't change any settings just render with Vega. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.03.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.20.32 AM.png

I don't know what I'm doing in Blender, but it looked like it took 10 seconds to render the image.
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 5.02.08 PM.png

* Please note that I have applied liquid metal to my Vega 56. I have also undervolted GPU and overclocked the HBM. Therefore, your mileage is very likely to vary...

Attachments

• RyzenGraphic_27.blend1.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
View attachment 402719View attachment 402720

I don't know what I'm doing in Blender, but it looked like it took 10 seconds to render the image.
View attachment 402734

* Please note that I have applied liquid metal to my Vega 56. I have also undervolted GPU and overclocked the HBM. Therefore, your mileage is very likely to vary...
Wow. Big Thank You for making this test.

I have not bad system based on the i7 7700k + 1070 GTX + 10.13.6.

My score:
CPU 5800 / 20000
OpenCL 140000
Metal 158000

But this test in Blender take about 06.63 secs.

Are you correct with settings? Check this in Blender: File -> User Preferences -> System. In General you should
select something with your GPU (OpenCL ?) I don't know because with Nvidia it CUDA option.

I really don't know what to do with my GTX 1070... Change to Vega or waiting for smth. There all synthetics test are better on Vega, but wit PRO Apps 1070 a little bit better than vega 56.
By the way, Blender more faster on the Hackintosh (10.13.6) than on the Windows 10 with the same hardware.

Wow. Big Thank You for making this test.

I have not bad system based on the i7 7700k + 1070 GTX + 10.13.6.

My score:
CPU 5800 / 20000
OpenCL 140000
Metal 158000

But this test in Blender take about 06.63 secs.

Are you correct with settings? Check this in Blender: File -> User Preferences -> System. In General you should
select something with your GPU (OpenCL ?) I don't know because with Nvidia it CUDA option.

I really don't know what to do with my GTX 1070... Change to Vega or waiting for smth. There all synthetics test are better on Vega, but wit PRO Apps 1070 a little bit better than vega 56.
By the way, Blender more faster on the Hackintosh (10.13.6) than on the Windows 10 with the same hardware.

This is what I see...
Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 5.40.24 PM.png

Something wrong with your configuration. It seems that previous render was on the CPU. Anyway it was pretty fast (more 20 sec on the i7 7700k), but with OpenCL selected you should see your Vega GPU check list.
Also, I think there is shouldn't CUDA option in Blender with AMD installed. Was NVIDIA/Cuda full uninstalled from system? Try to check this.
Theoretically, this Blender test should be rendered for 5 or less sec. on the Vega 56.

Something wrong with your configuration. It seems that previous render was on the CPU. Anyway it was pretty fast (more 20 sec on the i7 7700k), but with OpenCL selected you should see your Vega GPU check list.
Also, I think there is shouldn't CUDA option in Blender with AMD installed. Was NVIDIA/Cuda full uninstalled from system? Try to check this.
Theoretically, this Blender test should be rendered for 5 or less sec. on the Vega 56.

No Cuda of any sort on my system...

Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing in Blender...

Ok, I check that and found that it is not your problem. Blender remove OpenCL support. It's a pity.

Ok, I check that and found that it is not your problem. Blender remove OpenCL support. It's a pity.
maybe blender remove support for OpenGL because apple is going to Deprecate OpenGL
so if blender doesn't have support for OpenGL and of course AMD is not going to work with CUDA

well what that means for blender users, can they use blender with a AMD card
but it will work a bit slower compared to a nvidia card that has CUDA support

but there is no CUDA support either on Mojave, it just keeps getting better and better apple

this is a good example why CUDA is a must for some users that use certain apps

but apple insists on no Nvidia and no CUDA, I guess AMD users can still use the app
but it doesn't matter how fast those AMD cards are on MAC OS
when it comes to an app that has support for CUDA they don't stand a chance

GPU encoding is faster than CPU encoding
so how good is a GPU if it can't be use for encoding

just as good as nvidia card without acceleration

yes those AMD cards have support for GPU encoding for other apps
but like a said, what happens when a person depends or need certain app to do their work
?

this is the part that apple don't understand and every AMD user try to cover up
and people criticized the web drivers, how useless and pathetic they are
performance issues etc

yeah right

it seems to me that 1070 is working exceptionally well
the sameway a crappy nvidia 740 can encode 4k video using the latest version of FCP

of course I have a 16 core CPU but still
anyway this is what I love about these topics, you always learn or find out something new

c'mon let's be honest with ourselves, having CUDA support in MAC OS
is a good advantage, but apple doesn't want it because they want AMD
because AMD works with apple apps

apple doesn't care about 3rd party apps or nvidia users
is really too bad because I love Mac OS but Tim is destroying Mac OS little by little with his decisions

Last edited:
To be fair to Adobe - they have done great work to provide excellent Apple support from the Adobe range of products in Mojave.

Anyone who has followed/noted my personal Adobe comments knows that for years I have regularly given Adobe a hard time for being slow to bring good support to the latest version of macOS.

It isn't that long ago that Adobe users were best served by remaining one version behind the newest macOS version to have the best stability and overall experience. Today they have products that work very well on macOS using Apple's own Metal API.

hi Adrian B what a coincidence that you made that comment about adobe and now adobe just made an announcement that they are increasing their subscription price, but not by a little, they are asking for doble their previous price, just to let you know, it all depends maybe that doesn’t affect you or maybe that will make you be a little upset at them, just like i am with nvidia, i swear costumer satisfaction die a long time ago, it was murder by greed

There is some good alternatives to Adobe's Photoshop and Lightroom applications. Affinity is actually preferred by many over Photoshop.
It looks as if Adobe is keen to not show users the low priced option unless they know how to search for it. Adobe is happy to get more users hooked on using Adobe Cloud, which competitors are not really offering - for some users this may be a genuine benefit.

Nvidia became used to the inflated mining craze peak pricing for consumer grade hardware and has priced RTX accordingly. The RTX 2080 Ti is a performance beast and a huge improvement over the GTX 1080 Ti. But at all levels the new cards do provide a performance boost, but also a large price increase. Are these cards worth box price - sales numbers suggest that consumers are not so positive.

I only hope that AMD can provide some good competition at key price points later this year - it might help to keep the creeping prices from Intel and Nvidia in some sort of balance. New consumer graphics cards from intel would also be a positive move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back