Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Driver Won't Load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[Solved] NVIDIA Driver Won't Load

Issue: New NVIDA card won't reboot the NVIDIA driver when toggling it on in the OS. It only has 1 display and is low res.

Solution: Change system profile from 5,1 to 3,1.

Background: I purchase a GTX 970 to replace my old AMD card so I can support VR. I tried booting with just the card but at the end of the boot it would restart. I put the old card in and installed the appropriate NVIDIA driver (10.11.1). The machine would then boot with the card but it is all low res and only 1 display works. When I try to toggle on the NVIDIA driver in the preference pane it'll reboot and just look the same. If I try enabling nvda_drv=1 the computer reboots like it did before I installed the driver.

Am I missing a step or boot flag?

Make sure you aren't injecting Nvidia.

I was not. Changing the profile from 5,1 to 3,1 fixed it.

Your issue wasn't graphics related at all. The problem was you were using a system profile that expected ECC RAM which you do not have so it results in a kernel panic, hence the reboot.

Interesting. So the AMD card I had in previously had ECC ram?

No it wouldn't either. I guess I was assuming that the kernel panic (reboot) you were getting was related to AppleTyMCEDriver.kext. The RAM I am referring to is your system RAM, not the vid RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back