Contribute
Register

Nvidia choppy Launchpad under heavy Safari usage on HiDPI above 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW Sierra had no such lag issues with nVidia. Some minor glitches but nothing this big like we have in High Sierra. It's been confirmed by many users.

Spent some time testing Sierra. I can see an obvious improvement, but it's still not perfect.
After doing some heavy browsing, when I hit Launchpad once, it's same slow as on High Sierra (up to 1 fps).
When I hit Launchpad multiple times sequentially, performance restores so that it almost looks normal. But when you compare it with what you get on 1440p@60Hz without HiDPI, you can tell it's still degraded (still even slower than 30Hz).

You probably need something like this to fit in your very cool little build:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J422CZ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

There is also the Radeon 550, but I haven't seen anyone use that on a Hackintosh (I didn't do much research). But it's still single slot and not 100% sure it works OOB.

I've finished reading the thread you suggested and i can see many people have solved issue by moving to AMD. Unfortunately i don't see any suitable AMD cards that could help me.

RX 560 consumes up to 100W, so i'd say with my PSU it's pretty hopeless.

And i don't see anyone succeeding with getting RX 550 running in MacOS

I've just noticed that on Hight Sierra when no apps are running, I get true 60Hz on launchpad, and that I can not say the same about Sierra.

Also running Console app alone is enough to bring down Launchpad fps to 1
And when pressing launchpad, console shows Console says
Code:
default    06:04:20.657094 +0300    WindowServer    Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...
default    06:04:20.964911 +0300    WindowServer    Surface test allowed updates after 74 attempts (296 ms)

My GTX 970 works fine with High Sierra + web drivers. No lag or any other issues. I could make a video of the web GL water demo. Edit: attached.
just saw the vid, it looks like there are random freezes/stutter every second?
i'm having the same issue on my nvidia+coffeelake hackintosh, but on a macbook pro the 'webgl water' demo is 100% smooth

just saw the vid, it looks like there are random freezes/stutter every second? i'm having the same issue on my nvidia+coffeelake hackintosh, but on a macbook pro the 'webgl water' demo is 100% smooth
What about the metal cubes screensaver?

Finally got RX 560
It does kill lags, but it also does kill my PSU.
Currently, i have to throttle my CPU from 5Gz to 3Gz in order to prevent screen artefacts or power loss on boot.
Thinking about options I have for using more powerful PSU, really don't want to loose portability.

I am running a RX 560 also, it doesn't even require a PCIe power connector, why is yours killing your PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back