Contribute
Register

Nothing plays on TV app (blank but with control overlays showing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for clarifying. I assumed that multimonitor is what the term implies, the use of both graphics with multiple monitors. But this is ASUS and is different from Gigabyte. I didn't know that turning multimonitor off will also disable IGPU.

@tecnicasopr,

Same term on ASRock Motherboards too ... very misleading, I made the same mistake a few years ago, like you i took it to mean what the term implies .. but it really means Mixed GPU's (IGPU + dGPU) enabled at all times.

Cheers
Jay

So I’m a little bit confused. What should I change to have Apple TV+?
I've no platform-id in my config. How can I set it?

@lele90,

If using iMac19,X SMBIOS then configure IGPU as Headless, see this section of the guide for more info :-

Then use shikigva=16 boot arg to enable AppleTV+ DRM decode on AMD GPU .. as detailed here :-

The shikigva=80 boot arg is still very much work in progress and currently does not work on all AMD GPU's and system configurations (as explained in the guide).

Alternatively you can switch to the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with the IGPU disabled which is only way to get DRM working 100% this is also detailed in the DRM section of the guide (see the DRM Workaround).

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey Check out the latest commit to WhateverGreen by vit9696. More support has been added. WhateverGreen is on fire and it keeps getting better. :thumbup:

@lele90,

If using iMac19,X SMBIOS then configure IGPU as Headless, see this section of the guide for more info :-

Then use shikigva=16 boot arg to enable AppleTV+ DRM decode on AMD GPU .. as detailed here :-

The shikigva=80 boot arg is still very much work in progress and currently does not work on all AMD GPU's and system configurations (as explained in the guide).

Alternatively you can switch to the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with the IGPU disabled which is only way to get DRM working 100% this is also detailed in the DRM section of the guide (see the DRM Workaround).

Cheers
Jay

I don't know if I miss some steps but I patched in Hackintool (image 1), added the flag in boot option (image 2) and set my bios to suggested settings. What else?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    218.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.png
    2.png
    11 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
@jaymonkey Check out the latest commit to WhateverGreen by vit9696. More support has been added.

@tecnicasopr,

Yes some good work (with regards to DRM support with AMD GPU) has been done over the last month, hopefully the team will solve the incompatibilities on some systems.

I don't know if I miss some steps but I patched in Hackintool (image 1), added the flag in boot option (image 2) and set my bios to suggested settings.

@lele90,

Your config and BIOS settings look fine.

With a headless IGPU and the shikigva=16 boot argument that should be enough to get Apple TV+ working on most systems as long as you have AMD GPU (it works for me with Vega 64), however I think i read on one of the WEG support threads that on some systems AMD 5700 GPU is not yet working for DRM due to the new video engine it has, the WEG guys are looking into it.

If you want specific help from the devs then post your issue, specs and config here :-

The more feedback the devs can get from different systems the more chance we have of it becoming a universal DRM fix for all systems (with AMD GPU).

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@lele90,

^^
This is the best solution works without WEG or Shika boot arguments, unless you need WEG to enabled additional ports on your DPU for multi monitor support and so far works with every OS update. I have three hacks all using iMac Pro 1,1 and all three have full DRM and full HEVC hardware encoding/decoding. If you have an older video card then maybe you would need to deal with the nonsense of Shiki but if you have a new card no reason to waste hours of time.

^^
This is the best solution works without WEG or Shika boot arguments, unless you need WEG to enabled additional ports on your DPU for multi monitor support and so far works with every OS update. I have three hacks all using iMac Pro 1,1 and all three have full DRM and full HEVC hardware encoding/decoding. If you have an older video card then maybe you would need to deal with the nonsense of Shiki but if you have a new card no reason to waste hours of time.

Scott,

I rechecked the DRM Workaround section of Jay's Idiot's Guile to Lilu. I have two older Ivy systems with RX 560 graphics
cards. Without WEG, I see six framebuffers allotted in IORegistry Explorer, whereas WEG correctly limits the number of
framebuffers to three. I have the SMBIOS set to iMacPro1,1, but I still need shikigva=80 in order for DRM to work with
my IGPU disabled in BIOS. Jay's guide on DRM workaround seems to limits its comments to later systems, and my
older systems seem to need this extra help.

I agree the WEG folks are awesome, and I'm grateful for their help.

Lisa

Scott,

I rechecked the DRM Workaround section of Jay's Idiot's Guile to Lilu. I have two older Ivy systems with RX 560 graphics
cards. Without WEG, I see six framebuffers allotted in IORegistry Explorer, whereas WEG correctly limits the number of
framebuffers to three. I have the SMBIOS set to iMacPro1,1, but I still need shikigva=80 in order for DRM to work with
my IGPU disabled in BIOS. Jay's guide on DRM workaround seems to limits its comments to later systems, and my
older systems seem to need this extra help.

I agree the WEG folks are awesome, and I'm grateful for their help.

Lisa

Maybe you should read the last sentence that you quoted again where it says older systems maybe you would have to deal with the nonsense, I guess I should have included a 560. However, there is a new Dummykext floating around that I think resolves the issue if you have a 560 and it is not working. Also since the OP is looking for help with a 580 I am providing the Op assistance for his card not for your card.

Try installing one of the dummy kexts... There are a few of them floating around. This one worked for my RX 560.

Maybe you could try this and skip all the shiki stuff that breaks almost every new Os . release. Not trying to distract from the WEG developers they make a fine product if you need to enable extra ports or audio over HDMI/DP, but DRM is questionable maybe one day as Jay said there will be a universal fix.

adding shikigva=16 to my boot args enables TV App on my system.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back