Contribute
Register

Not Shy's Guide - Potentially Fix Bluetooth Sleep/Wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
macaddictcr said:
I just wanted to write in and tell of my success of putting an Apple branded Bluetooth module into a small USB. This little hack gave me full functionality and doesn't look half bad. I will try to compose a short tutorial of my adventure and post it this weekend.

This is what it looks like all apart:
IMG_0373.JPG

All tucked in:
IMG_0369.JPG

And all buttoned up:
IMG_0375.JPG

I got lucky with the USB hub I found. I was expecting to just throw it together all half ass and attach it to an internal USB header adapter and call it good. When I popped the hub open I was happy to see a little spot right in the middle of the PCB that would accommodate the module just right. I was able to wrap the cable and antenna around to the bottom side of the PCB. The two plastic halves snapped right back into place without any issues. You can't even tell that the hub was disturbed in any way unless you turn it over where you can see the antenna through the clear bottom. I lost a port on the hub but that isn't such a terrible loss when you have complete bluetooth with sleep functionality. Everything works just as if it were meant to be.

How did you accomplish the volts conversion from 5v to 3.3 on your hub? I like this approach better than hooking up the device directly to the USB internal hub as I would like to disconnect it whenever I wish on the fly.

Any pointers please? You wanted to write up a short tutorial :cool:

Flexigem said:
macaddictcr said:
I just wanted to write in and tell of my success of putting an Apple branded Bluetooth module into a small USB. This little hack gave me full functionality and doesn't look half bad. I will try to compose a short tutorial of my adventure and post it this weekend.

This is what it looks like all apart:
IMG_0373.JPG

All tucked in:
IMG_0369.JPG

And all buttoned up:
IMG_0375.JPG

I got lucky with the USB hub I found. I was expecting to just throw it together all half ass and attach it to an internal USB header adapter and call it good. When I popped the hub open I was happy to see a little spot right in the middle of the PCB that would accommodate the module just right. I was able to wrap the cable and antenna around to the bottom side of the PCB. The two plastic halves snapped right back into place without any issues. You can't even tell that the hub was disturbed in any way unless you turn it over where you can see the antenna through the clear bottom. I lost a port on the hub but that isn't such a terrible loss when you have complete bluetooth with sleep functionality. Everything works just as if it were meant to be.

How did you accomplish the volts conversion from 5v to 3.3 on your hub? I like this approach better than hooking up the device directly to the USB internal hub as I would like to disconnect it whenever I wish on the fly.

Any pointers please? You wanted to write up a short tutorial :cool:

On the fly - sounds like u want an external USB cable. Use either 2 diodes or a DC voltage converter

Flexigem said:
Thats how I would accomplish it :http://cgi.ebay.de/Ultimate-Bluetooth-Unit-for-Hackintosh-Perfect-Mac-BT-/150563529508?

So yes. You re right. I would take this approach. But how did macaddictr solve the 5v problem with his hub, I wonder.

Ha - yes - they are v expensive. I got my BT module for £3 incl P&P and converter for £7 and then a USB header for £2. It's a lot cheaper to do yourself.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14836

Read all the pages of the above thread - not that long !

Ordered a trust 15542-02 usb Dongle like yours Not Shy. Works like a charm (almost) after editing the kext file.
Wake from sleep is enabled, but after sending to sleep it wakes back up straight away. :/

with out the dongle it sleeps normally. any ideas how to fix that?

Now just need to find a way to use my apple keyboard at bios and bootloader.

Thanks for all your great work. this community is awesome sauce! :D

Ok so on further testing it seems that it is the magic mouse preventing the computer from fully sleeping. if i switch the mouse off just as it goes to sleep it stays asleep. the keyboard can successfully wake the computer up.

any ideas on why this is happening or how to correct the issue?

alisound said:
Ok so on further testing it seems that it is the magic mouse preventing the computer from fully sleeping. if i switch the mouse off just as it goes to sleep it stays asleep. the keyboard can successfully wake the computer up.

any ideas on why this is happening or how to correct the issue?

Hmmm - it's not like that with my magic mouse although I have recently stopped using the Trust dongle and switched for a real apple bluetooth module/antenna running off an internal USB port to avoid these issues.

I'd have a look at your kernel log (Utilities > Console - look for Kernel log on the left - might have to expand the view) to see if that sheds any light on it.

You could try deleting the mouse and re-pairing it ?

Also you could try restoring the vanilla BT kexts and see if the mouse still stops it sleeping. And then you might have to decide between keyboard/mouse wake and system sleep.

The original kext does fix it , obviously with the wake feature but that is going backwards :) i'll keep playing around and have a look in the logs as you said. how difficult is the official bluetooth module way of doing it?

and does it allow use of the apple keyboard in bios?

thanks for your help. :thumbup:

ok, so re-pairing the mouse didn't work either.

Here is a pic of my kernal log. do you think it may be down to a bios wake setting?

also it seems discconnect my ethernet connection if i have a manual DHCP setting. hmmmm :think:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-17 at 21.40.33.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-17 at 21.40.33.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 377
Right , it seems that its my ethernet connection which is the problem here. if i make it inactive before sleeping then i have no issues. this is odd.

i'm using Lnx2mac's realtek driver.

anybody have any ideas why this may happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back