Non-EVGA or Gigabyte Pascal Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've asked a similar question before, but this is a bit more specific. Due to cryptocurrency miners buying up all the good Pascal cards, I can't get hold of my chosen card. As soon as it pops up on Best Buy for a decent price, it's out of stock, often popping up when I'm at work. I'm not paying more than $350 for my card, and I have to go with Best Buy because I'm going to be using their 12-month financing (I know the risks, I've done it three times now without incident and have a stable job). Amazon has a similar financing option, but I have no experience with their program, and all the Pascal cards there seem to have inflated prices due to the aforementioned cryptocurrency craze. Best Buy unfortunately seems to only carry three makes of the Pascal cards: EVGA, PNY, and MSI. Of those three, the only one explicitly mentioned in the Buyer's Guide is EVGA. So can I substitute with a PNY or MSI card with almost the exact same stats and still maintain max compatibility, or is there some reason PNY and MSI aren't represented at all in the Buyer's Guide?

You are right, that card shouldn't cost more than $350. You could use the PNY or MSI instead of the EVGA. When I look at the Bestbuy site it looks like all three are sold out. If you can get by with 4GB of Vram, the 1050 Ti cards are not so inflated in price right now. The performance is very good too. What will you be using your gfx card for ?

"The components listed here might not be the only ones that work, but based on our research they're the easiest and best supported options. Use the following Buyer's Guide as a shopping list or as a jumping off point for further customization."
tonymacx86

Last edited:
Never seen Palit in the buyers guide either. Strange as they're like the largest manufacturer of those cards.

Never seen Palit in the buyers guide either. Strange as they're like the largest manufacturer of those cards.
Those are good cards too but are mostly unavailable in the USA. That's why they don't make the Guide.

Yeah. It's that "easiest and next supported" part that worries me. I know hackintoshes can be fiddly and I'd like to keep the fiddling to a minimum. I still have storage drives and a UPS to buy that I can get more easily from Best Buy for almost the exact cost of the graphics card I want. So I'll hold off on buying those and hunt for the EVGA card I want elsewhere, and if I can find it for a good price I'll buy the processor, drives, and UPS with financing instead.

I'm using a Gigabyte Pascal card in my hackintosh and it's been great.

I've used a PNY Kepler card in another hackintosh and never experienced any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back