Contribute
Register

No sound on GA-P55-UD4P install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also check the ports on the back, as it might not be the same ones working as in Windows. My case front audio sockets work, but in all honesty, I haven't tried the rear ones so...

@dvdflashbacks

got my sound working finally after a day and a half of frustration. my problem was an extra legacyhda 888 kext hiding in /Extras/Extensions that didn't belong for my sound card+motherboard. are you sure you cleaned everything else out? might be better just to reinstall and follow tony's instructions to the T. good luck! :)

Hey akecksliu,

I am not sure what else I can do. Here is a snapshot of my extra/extensions folder...Does anything jump out that looks wrong to anyone?

Thanks

Attachments

• extra_ext.jpg
    extra_ext.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 224
Success!

So I re-installed OSx (again) and carefully added/fixed each of my three questionable components...starting with the sound, then my wireless and lastly the video card.

What worked for me was, as thelostswede pointed out, was to use the specific kext for hda and not ac97. I am not sure, but I suspect that using the wrong files at all really messes things up. Even though I removed any/all files that I had previously tried, doing it again on a clean install worked.

Kudos to thelostswede for helping myself and any others for getting this working! Time to make a full carbon copy backup of this drive and store it for future use.

Well, glad to hear you finally got it working :)
Not sure why it only worked that way, but hey, as I said before, this doesn't appear to be an exact science.
Despite 9/10 people getting things working straight away it seems like it fails for the remaining 10% for no good reason at all...

Is anyone else getting static through the HDA case connector with these boards?
OSX auto detects when I plug in my headphones and changes from internal speaker to headphones. I have a pair of Philips SHE9850 that use a transducer rather than membranes (just like Shure headphones or the expensive iPhone ones). I get a lot of static on these, but I just noticed that I get static on my el cheapo headset now as well which wasn't a problem before. Does the impedance of the headphones have anything to do with this? It doesn't happen in Windows so...
With the headset I only get static when I move the mouse, much like how it used to be with old ISA bus sound cards back in the days...
The DSDT for the P55-UD4P board had the setup for the 889 rather than the 889A and I changed it, but this seems to have made it worse rather than better, any ideas?

Updated the DSDT, there's a difference, but not as much as I first though. It's more random now with the headset and not quite as loud with the in-ears. It's also a lot less interference from the ports on the rear of the system now.

At least I got around to testing the mic input now and that works just fine on the rear, but not the front of the case...

I get static along with audio from the front case connector using HDA. It's loud enough to be annoying.
If anyone finds or has a solution, please share.

Could be your smbios- we've managed to discover that if you have an iMac smbios.plist for the UD2 there are audio artifacts, or 'plops'.

Try installing the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist from MultiBeast.

:thumbup:

I have the same problem with my in-ears, but it's not nearly as bad with my headset. For some reason it wasn't nearly as bad on a P55A-UD4 system I built for a mate (although that was in a different case as well).
If you got the space, try routing the cable to the front of the case around the board rather than over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back