CPU
Core i7-3970X
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, I finally got my new system running, but I have no sound and no control over the sound via the f10-12 keys on the apple keyboard. When I press any of the keys the options appear on screen but are grey instead of white.

I also had a Newertech Powermax USB wifi adapter that worked prior to running the 10.6.2 update. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the sound and wi-fi working?

Also, is there a different EFI I should be using for this board? Tonymacx86's install appears to be for the UD2 boards. I created my own disc with the UD4P DSDT but I am not sure what it did differently.

Thanks.

After my failed graphics card install using the OSx86tools (lesson learned - avoid this utility if you are on 10.6.2), I am now up and running again.

Once again I am stuck with the sound card issues. I have tried using the AppleHDA.kext and I do get all the sound device options to display in Sys Profiler - my card id is an 885, but still no sound. I remember that what seemed to fix this last time was disabling and re-enabling the card in bios. But that has not worked.

It looks like I am running the F3 bios. Did you have any issues after upgrading to the F7? Do you have any info on the safest way to go about upgrading the BIOS?

I did take a look at the thread and I have the files that I originally used. It must have been some sorta fluke getting this going the first time cause none of the files have made a difference so far.

Here is what shows up in my SP:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102
Audio ID: 885
Available Devices:
Line Out:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
External Microphone:
External Microphone:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: Combo
S/P-DIF In:

@dvdflashbacks, weird, having the exact same problem as you over here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123&start=10

had sound working once on my first install but upon reinstalling and doing the same thing, it doesn't work anymore. we must be missing some important step. mine is a different P55 motherboard with the ALC885, but I currently have the same thing appearing in system profiler. IIRC when it was working there were more jacks displayed.

when I finally got it last time I had about a dozen sound files in my downloads folder, replaced my self-made non-working DSDT with one posted by another DFI LANParty MI P55-T36 user who has everything working, deleted everything sound related I could find in S/E/E, added whichever AppleHDA kext that was in my downloads (think it was tonymac's from his audio post) and the LegacyHDA885 kext posted by the same person through kext helper b7, ran kext utility, and it worked.

tried a more streamlined method of the same process, followed by trying to repeat what I'd done before, but it still doesn't work. somewhere along the line the first time I also unplugged the audio front panel on my case, and also unplugged my speakers (saw on another forum that this affected some people).. not sure if this did anything.

any ideas? :rolleyes:

@alecksliu
Yeah...well I am not sure what else I can do. I have tried every kext that I could find related to my audio ID and I also tried using an azalia installer. I guess I got lucky with my install last time. It is really frustrating to have had it working once and now nothing.

@thelostswede
Do you know how I can upgrade this machine without a windows box and/or floppy drive? According to the Gigabyte info you need a floppy drive (haven't seen one of those in about 7 years). Any ideas?

The BIOS can be installed off a USB key, RTFM ;)
You want to start the Q-Flash utility http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/New ... qflash.htm

The audio drivers work, but I had to muck about with it a bit as well. Are you using the kext from here? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=140941 it's the one I'm using, but there are five files in one. The one that did it for me is the 889A 4outs2ins HDA headphone. There are various files for a reason,as they are for different motherboards with different setups.

Well this is pretty frustrating. So I updated my bios to F7. I then tried adding the new kext as suggested on insanelymac. Now I have a weirder problem. The volume control is no longer greyed out, but there is still no sound. The volume controls onscreen graphic moves up and down but not even a pop.

Also my device id and sys profile info is suddenly different:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102
Audio ID: 12
Available Devices:
Line Out:
External Microphone:
External Microphone:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
S/P-DIF In:

I just don't get it.

Silly question but are you sure you selected the correct output ? I've been there after some changes, the sound output was changed to something else and I thought it was not working but it was....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back