Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> No OpenCore Menu after kext update???

Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I have a working Hackintosh running Monterey 12.6.5. I noticed some of my kext files (the common few like Lilu,WhateverGreen, AppleALC) needed updating. I updated, and when I restarted I had no more OC boot menu, just a black screen. I just use the text menu. I know my Monterey is number 7 and since there was no warning or anything just a black screen I arrowed down to 7. pressed enter and bingo, it started the boot process like always. I login and all is fine accept when restarting again there is no OC menu, just a black screen.

I don't have everything else committed to memory so I'd really appreciate a solution to this.

Bump. Any ideas?

Hi there.

It's an odd one.

The first question I'd ask is what version of OpenCore you are running? Did you update that along with the kexts?

It's the logical thing to do to retain compatibility, but be aware you may need to edit the config.plist to match any new <keys>'s that have been added or removed. The newer version's "ocvalidate" app tool will tell you what keys are new or deprecated etc.

:)

Hi there.

It's an odd one.

The first question I'd ask is what version of OpenCore you are running? Did you update that along with the kexts?

It's the logical thing to do to retain compatibility, but be aware you may need to edit the config.plist to match any new <keys>'s that have been added or removed. The newer version's "ocvalidate" app tool will tell you what keys are new or deprecated etc.

:)
Greetings and thank you for the response. I honestly appreciate it.

At first ocvalidate didn't identify anything, but your question regarding OC version together with your prompt to check config.plist for new keys led to a solution. I thought I was on a newer version of OC than I actually was. I was on .9.0 but thought I had upgraded to .9.2. I probably only updated kext files and forgot to do the OC itself. So I did that upgrade to OC .9.2 and the issue remained so I decide to check ocvalidate again and this time it pointed to a missing "InitialMode" in UEFI/Output. It required a selection text, auto or graphic I think. I chose auto and rebooted...it took awhile to show up, but there was the familiar text based menu. Awesome! Thank you!!

Greetings and thank you for the response. I honestly appreciate it.

At first ocvalidate didn't identify anything, but your question regarding OC version together with your prompt to check config.plist for new keys led to a solution. I thought I was on a newer version of OC than I actually was. I was on .9.0 but thought I had upgraded to .9.2. I probably only updated kext files and forgot to do the OC itself. So I did that upgrade to OC .9.2 and the issue remained so I decide to check ocvalidate again and this time it pointed to a missing "InitialMode" in UEFI/Output. It required a selection text, auto or graphic I think. I chose auto and rebooted...it took awhile to show up, but there was the familiar text based menu. Awesome! Thank you!!

Well done! :)

Back