Contribute
Register

No GPU Power Managment

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok thank you
i increased VLC buffering and seems my problem got away :D

did you try MPlayerX with Video Tuner enabled? just increase any parameter a bit and it uses GPU. in my case "GPU clock bug" happen and need to restart.

i wonder if the same bug happens in real Macs too :p

didnt try any other video players im good with vlc..just replaced preview with Xee and im good..
Also tried playing some games and i didnt find any problems with the gpu frequency

Besides Preview, I'm seeing this bug also in Finder, in column view if an image file is selected. The panel on the right that displays a preview of the selected file seems to be triggering the high clocks.

Perhaps it is related to Core Image, or Quartz Extreme or what ever the hardware acceleration feature is called...? I have no idea.

Edit: definitely has to do with images, as any image in Preview, in Quick Look or Finder preview pane triggers the bug. With any other type of file that I tried the clocks remain on idle frequencies.

I tried to reproduce this bug.....think you're in the right way.

i wonder if the same bug happens in real Macs too :p

I like to know this too! Probably not...but going to test tomorrow on a real Mac.

i installed hwmonitor on my old macbook (early 2009 macbook5,2) upgraded to mavericks: unfortunately i can't monitor the gpu clock :(

Well, I gave it another try today - fresh install. GPU still goes to full speed and hangs there after using Quick Look.

I also tried editing the AGPM.kext for my GTX660 using the 660M from iMac as an example. Still the same result. I'm using the MacPro 5,1 sysdef.

I can't think of anything else to try. Anyone else make any progress?

Thanks

... test this bug on 2 real iMac´s 12,2 and 13,2 AMD/Nvidia,
i can´t check the clock rates, but temperature will rise on both AMD +6, Nvidia +10 and didn´t drop down after closing the applications, tested with aperture and pixelmator. So for my examples real Mac´s have this problem too, i think most people wouldn´t notice, even in the hackintosh community, because they did not monitor the GPU temperature or the clock rates.

The only solution to solve this for now is rebooting,for me it takes 12 sec to get the "Mac" back. :problem:

If you are sure about that thats always a good sign :thumbup:if it happens in real mac then its OS bug and it will resolve in future update

i can´t check the clock rates, but temperature will rise on both AMD +6, Nvidia +10 and didn´t drop down after closing the applications, tested with aperture and pixelmator. So for my examples real Mac´s have this problem too, i think most people wouldn´t notice, even in the hackintosh community, because they did not monitor the GPU temperature or the clock rates.

The only solution to solve this for now is rebooting,for me it takes 12 sec to get the "Mac" back. :problem:

Good to know. I don't suppose you happened to try Quick Look?

I'd try it on a real Mac as well but none of mine are new enough to run Mavericks. Well, except the MBA but with integrated graphics, I don't think that would tell us much.

Thanks for doing the tests. I guess it is comforting to hear that the issue may not be just a matter of compatibility.
Wasn't Mavericks supposed to be all about efficiency? ;)

I first noticed this on my hack because of the GPU fan spun up slightly because the high clocks. I have modified the GPU BIOS so that the minimum fan speed is lower than default and it makes very low noise on idle and I can hear when stress level/heat rises.

there is a news: the problem does not occur with adobe premiere cc. MHz go up and when i close Premiere go down . With the others program go up and go down only after restart the system :(

If I run the Heaven benchmark, the gpu throttles up and goes back down when I close it. If I show the visualizer in iTunes, it locks in at the full base clock immediately and won't throttle down. Once it's locked in, I can run other apps and make mine go from the base clock of 1.04ghz to the boost clock of 1.2ghz, but it won't idle below 1.04 until I reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back