Contribute
Register

No Firewire port on MoBo, G5 front panel cable issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. That's weird about your usb. Cos from your diagram shield ground is going to pin 5, and data - is going to pin 4 which is correct, but data + is going to pin 3 which is the other channels data -. And the VCC/+5v is again on the other channel, but I don't think that matters. Also there is no true usb ground.

But if it works, don't fix it.... Right?

Gus said:
Cool. That's weird about your usb. Cos from your diagram shield ground is going to pin 5, and data - is going to pin 4 which is correct, but data + is going to pin 3 which is the other channels data -. And the VCC/+5v is again on the other channel, but I don't think that matters. Also there is no true usb ground.

I'll let yall know how it turns out for me. Hopefully it's not just a fluke and works :)

If you use that audio, it will allow you to select front panel in system preferences. Nice bonus.

Gus said:
If you use that audio, it will allow you to select front panel in system preferences. Nice bonus.

sweet =) I'll probably wire it up on my day off (thursday). I'll report back if my system blows up :lol:

Gus said:

Feel free to suggest corrections to the diagram, I did it and worked for me, but if you think can be improved, better for everyone!

Leech3r

but it works, so it doesn't need to be changed.

Sorry, I sound very rude. It just had me confused. But it works, and is nice and easy to follow, so its all gooood. Plus it has the audio on it. Most don't. In fact I've never seen a diagram with audio on it.

Okay, this is driving me up a wall.. :banghead:

I hooked up the front cable like the new diagram had it laid out and nothing happened.

- I do not have any peripherals or components attached to the Mobo. No drive, HDD, memory, or monitor. I'm just trying to get the power to turn the CPU fan and the power button to light up, neither of which is happening.

- The cable is laid out exactly as it is in the diagram, I triple checked :crazy:

- Could this still be a wiring issue or is it possible I have a defective front panel?

What does happen when I hook up all the PSU connections to the Mobo is the CPU fan turns for ~3sec. and then stops.

Here is a short clip of what I'm talking about. The click you here in the beginning is me flipping the switch on the PSU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRQtTwR2GEg&context=C37bf11aADOEgsToPDskIn4yaFVnfdMTRg2oTX7ASv

Any ideas? This issue is really putting the breaks on my progress :cry:

**Another thought**

I realize the G5 front panel is great and all, but what would be the issue in scrapping it and adding my own power switch + 2 USB + audio ports that run directly to the Mobo (I will very rarely, if ever, use firewire)?

You could take it out, and replace it. But it's almost not worth it for the single usb port. Which you may not even use being on the front of the case.

As for you, did you use that as an end view of the cable?
The diagram is for a top view of the circuit board. So you may have it inverted? Meaning your audio is connected to your ground.

The panel should be oriented as shown below.
Gus

Attachments

• Front connector.jpg
    Front connector.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 776
Gus said:
You could take it out, and replace it. But it's almost not worth it for the single usb port. Which you may not even use being on the front of the case.

As for you, did you use that as an end view of the cable?
The diagram is for a top view of the circuit board. So you may have it inverted? Meaning your audio is connected to your ground.

The panel should be oriented as shown below.
Gus

This is true..

And I may have goten mixed up like that. I did not look at the circuit board at all, only to the female connector with the guide bit on the left. I'll double check this and see if that helps. Thanks!

Think that will fix it. That guide is referring to the on board connector not the cable. Let us know what happens.

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back