Contribute
Register

No entry sign on install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, just checked in the BIOS, it's disabled.

Anyway, I've resigned to the fact that OS X simply will not run on this machine. It ain't gonna happen. I'm flogging a dead horse here. :(

Thanks to all who've tried to help me.

So, I'm thinking the problem is either that my CPU / mobo just isn't like by OS X, or that there's something wrong with my BIOS settings (though they're on default, save for disabling VT-d).

Wish I knew what was wrong. Does OS X not like Intel® Celeron® Processor G1610T (2M Cache, 2.30 GHz)? Maybe it doesn't like the HP mobo?

Check this guide and test with the first 2 steps.

Yes, just checked in the BIOS, it's disabled.

Anyway, I've resigned to the fact that OS X simply will not run on this machine. It ain't gonna happen. I'm flogging a dead horse here. :(

Thanks to all who've tried to help me.

Not sure if the following will help, but reading through the thread, it seems you're using the default Clover setup via Unibeast. The various install guides I've read through usually recommend upgrading the Clover install on either your installer USB or boot drive's EFI partition to the newest version of Clover. I have a completely different setup on a new Z170 rig but I got the ghostbusters symbol with my initial Unibeast Clover installation, which was and still is set to the 3320 release of Clover. I upgraded to the most recent release of Clover (at the time it was 3345, I believe), which helped me boot into the installer and get the system set up. At the very least, that would give you a better baseline to work with in terms of determining if the Clover version is part of the equation as it was for me.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

Check this guide and test with the first 2 steps.

Thank you! Did that. Checked the BIOS for any relevant settings (there are none). Downloaded that config.plist and placed it in \EFI\CLOVER but still it's exactly the same. You gave me a glimmer of hope there, but alas I'm still in the same position.

Not sure if the following will help, but reading through the thread, it seems you're using the default Clover setup via Unibeast. The various install guides I've read through usually recommend upgrading the Clover install on either your installer USB or boot drive's EFI partition to the newest version of Clover. I have a completely different setup on a new Z170 rig but I got the ghostbusters symbol with my initial Unibeast Clover installation, which was and still is set to the 3320 release of Clover. I upgraded to the most recent release of Clover (at the time it was 3345, I believe), which helped me boot into the installer and get the system set up. At the very least, that would give you a better baseline to work with in terms of determining if the Clover version is part of the equation as it was for me.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

Many thanks for trying to help me but I'm afraid the problem remains. :(

I have also tried installing OS X (10.10.5) on a Gen8 Microserver, with the same installation issues. I had the same garbled text on the screenshot you uploaded, i believe it is the 'Waiting for root device' error.

I would point out that the two USB 3.0 ports on the rear of the machine are disabled during installation/boot by the Bios, this is the same for a Windows or Linux installation and I could not find any way to alter this state. This is confirmed in the Microserver manual.

The four USB 2.0 ports are not using an Intel chipset, I believe this is the cause of the 'waiting for root device' error. OS X does not recognise the usb ports during installation and therefore can't find the installation media and stalls!

I tried a number of different USB 'fixes' that I found on this and a couple of other Hackintosh forums but could not move past the same point you are at. But as I hadn't installed OS X on my SSD I had a few different USB related issues visible in the text, before it becomes garbled and illegible.

The Microserver has a 1155 CPU/socket, a Celeron, which may also be raising issues with the installation of OS X. I believe Apple stopped supporting these lower level CPU's with Lion or Mountain Lion

I spent a week or more trying different ways to get this machine to boot OS X, even dropping back to Mavericks and Mountain Lion but with no more joy than with Yosemite. I believe this was due to the repeated USB issues and I eventually gave up and installed a Windows OS.

For clarity my Microserver had 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB), a 240GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, an AMD HD6450 2GB low profile graphics card, no other disks or accessories attached, the screen was attached by a new HDMI cable. My Bluetooth usb dongle was sitting ready and waiting for OS X to boot. I tried installing OS X with a couple of Corsair 16GB USB pen drives, using the latest Clover and a new downloaded copy of Yosemite/Mavericks and ML. I initially chose to install Yosemite over El Capitan because I thought there would be less chance of any USB issues arising. I was using the legacy Clover install, as the BIOS for the Gen8 Microserver is not UEFI.

Not sure if this information will help you in any way or make you more despondent, but I thought I would share my trials so you know you are not the only one who has tried and struggled with creating a Hackintosh with a Gen8 Microserver. Best of luck with your endeavours.

I have also tried installing OS X (10.10.5) on a Gen8 Microserver, with the same installation issues. I had the same garbled text on the screenshot you uploaded, i believe it is the 'Waiting for root device' error.

I would point out that the two USB 3.0 ports on the rear of the machine are disabled during installation/boot by the Bios, this is the same for a Windows or Linux installation and I could not find any way to alter this state. This is confirmed in the Microserver manual.

The four USB 2.0 ports are not using an Intel chipset, I believe this is the cause of the 'waiting for root device' error. OS X does not recognise the usb ports during installation and therefore can't find the installation media and stalls!

I tried a number of different USB 'fixes' that I found on this and a couple of other Hackintosh forums but could not move past the same point you are at. But as I hadn't installed OS X on my SSD I had a few different USB related issues visible in the text, before it becomes garbled and illegible.

The Microserver has a 1155 CPU/socket, a Celeron, which may also be raising issues with the installation of OS X. I believe Apple stopped supporting these lower level CPU's with Lion or Mountain Lion

I spent a week or more trying different ways to get this machine to boot OS X, even dropping back to Mavericks and Mountain Lion but with no more joy than with Yosemite. I believe this was due to the repeated USB issues and I eventually gave up and installed a Windows OS.

For clarity my Microserver had 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB), a 240GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, an AMD HD6450 2GB low profile graphics card, no other disks or accessories attached, the screen was attached by a new HDMI cable. My Bluetooth usb dongle was sitting ready and waiting for OS X to boot. I tried installing OS X with a couple of Corsair 16GB USB pen drives, using the latest Clover and a new downloaded copy of Yosemite/Mavericks and ML. I initially chose to install Yosemite over El Capitan because I thought there would be less chance of any USB issues arising. I was using the legacy Clover install, as the BIOS for the Gen8 Microserver is not UEFI.

Not sure if this information will help you in any way or make you more despondent, but I thought I would share my trials so you know you are not the only one who has tried and struggled with creating a Hackintosh with a Gen8 Microserver. Best of luck with your endeavours.

Very many thanks for taking the time to post this. My set up is nearly identical to yours: 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB), a 120GB Kingston SSD, an AMD HD6450 2GB low profile graphics card, no other disks or accessories attached. My Bluetooth usb dongle (Rocketek, mac compatible) was also sitting ready and waiting for OS X to boot.

I've put Windows 10 on it now anyway. It makes me feel dirty though, as our home is completely Apple. I'm thinking of selling it anyway, I've really no use for a Windows server. Sad times. Still, appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks again!

Do you have any other USB drives plugged in? I had the same issue, fixed it by unplugging all the USB devices apart From the drive with the Mac OS on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back