Contribute
Register

Newbie who managed to triple boot but needs some fixes :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I struggle with a Windows that doesn't recognize the exFAT data partition and warns that reformatting would create a dynamic drive. Is it safe to let it do that?

Note to self: include the exFAT partititon in the hybrid mbr and windows will see it.

Ceterum censeo we need a multiboot forum
dg

Good reasoning. I for one finally gave up on understanding what was necessary in gdisk and just tried. Maybe that's the reason for the next difficulty: Now I struggle with a Windows that doesn't recognize the exFAT data partition and warns that reformatting would create a dynamic drive. Is it safe to let it do that?

With a hybrid GPT/MBR you don't want to do any modifications of your partitions in diskmgmt.msc, or diskpart. Those programs are not aware of the hybrid and will only edit the MBR side, leaving the GPT out-of-sync... with likely disastrous results (data/file system corruption).

With a hybrid GPT/MBR you don't want to do any modifications of your partitions in diskmgmt.msc, or diskpart. Those programs are not aware of the hybrid and will only edit the MBR side, leaving the GPT out-of-sync... with likely disastrous results (data/file system corruption).

I see, thanks!
What had confused me was that the recovery stick i created with the Win8 tool contains a Diskpart script that begins with
convert gpt
create partition primary size=1000
format quick fs=ntfs label="WinRE"
and creates 6 partitions altogether: 4 primary , 1 EFI, 1 msr.

It is the file <recovery_Stick>/sources/hpfire/ReCreatePartition.txt, and is pointed to in <recovery_Stick>/sources/ResetConfig.xml" with the line "<DiskpartScriptPath>hpfire\ReCreatePartition.txt</DiskpartScriptPath>".

From that I concluded diskpart could handle gpt.
Maybe its an XOR between gpt and mbr. Gpt with protective mbr is OK, but hybrid is not.

dg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back