Contribute
Register

Newbie who managed to triple boot but needs some fixes :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5 3570
Graphics
Geforge 8800 gts + hd2500
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum. I'm quite happy that I could get so far just with many readings and attempts. I could build my first ML hackintosh with triple boot (ml, ubuntu, win8) on 3 disks.
I've followed almost all the instructions on this site and mounted my build as suggested here. I've made and hardware mistake on buying the i5 3570 instead on the i5 3570k so I've missed the hd4000 integrated gpu. I've mounted an old Geforge 8800gts and it just worked (I did anything about the kexts), don't ask me how.

Actually I write here regarding help on booting as I can only boot ML via an external usb drive with chameleon.

My 3 drives are:
#1 mbr partioned 2tb

1 ntfs (because I've read that ML could be installed only in max 1tb and not first partition) --- 2 hfs+Journaled Mountain Lion partition

#2 linux partitioned gparted 200gb

1 etx3 Ubuntu -- 2 ntfs

#3 win8 70gb

reserved to win8 which did on installation 3 partions: system reserved + ntfs + void(1.6mb)

Now I can only boot via uefi bios for ubuntu and win8. If I boot their disk they boot.

ML I can only boot it via external usb drive.

I've tried to install lastest Chimera to disk 1 of 2tb but if I try to boot from this disk , I get win8 in recovery mode!
I've never managed to see the Chimera boot loader.

If I boot from this disk #1 with the usb (chameleon) pugged-in I see the chameleon boot list.

It looks like the main ML disk can't boot directly.

I'd do anything not to delete partitions and reformat drives but I'd like to get Chimera to work with my build.

Thanks to anyone for the really appreciated help! :clap:
Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 01.46.07.png

My build:
Intel i5 3570
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
8gb x 2 Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600mhz
Nvidia Geforge 8800 gts (worked without kexts)
seagate 2tb hdd sata3
seagate 200 gbhdd sata2
WD raptor 70 gb sata

I did some improvements trying to unplug all hdd exept the #1
#1 mbr partioned 2tb
ntfs --- hfs+Journaled Mountain Lion partition
I've received the boot0:error so I've followed this tutorial and managed to copy boot1h of Chimera into the mbr of that disk with

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/ "hdd intentifier"

Now if I boot from this disk I see the text only version of Chameleon / Chimera. I can boot ML and WIN8 fine (after plugging back the win disk).

I'm getting closer!

The last problems I have are:

- This chimera boot1h textual boot loader can't see and boot the Linux ext3 partition
- I can't load the whole Chimera graphic interface. :(

I've tried to re-install chimera from ML when booted but nothing changed. :beachball:

thanks for your appreciated help

did I posted in the wrong forum?

did I posted in the wrong forum?

I don't know -- miss a dedicated multiboot forum myself.
As for the problem I have no answer, only a pointer to DarwinDumper.
Have a look at all things related to bootloaders and partition tables, that might help you find a fix.
dg

I don't know -- miss a dedicated multiboot forum myself.
As for the problem I have no answer, only a pointer to DarwinDumper.
Have a look at all things related to bootloaders and partition tables, that might help you find a fix.
dg

Thanks for your answer . It's sad that there is not an active community forum around Chimera.
thanks

Now I can only boot via uefi bios for ubuntu and win8. If I boot their disk they boot.

ML I can only boot it via external usb drive.

I've tried to install lastest Chimera to disk 1 of 2tb but if I try to boot from this disk , I get win8 in recovery mode!
I've never managed to see the Chimera boot loader.

If I boot from this disk #1 with the usb (chameleon) pugged-in I see the chameleon boot list.

It looks like the main ML disk can't boot directly.

What got me beyond a similar point was learning that Chimera/Chameleon CAN'T boot from a pure gpt disk. Apparently it needs a partition that is marked as active. So I created a *hybrid* partition table for the disk with several bootable partitions and it worked. I guess that is where you are stuck now.

HowTo

NOTE: Hybrid gpt is easily corrupted by reckless installers and self-repairs. It's a VERY good idea to make a tick-off list and to collect all necessary files and install all tools in a linux stick (not a cd, you might like to have write access) for emergencies.

• Before hybridizing the gpt, check that partition boot records and the master boot record contain the necessary bootloaders before messing with the mbr. In ML you can use DarwinDumper to made sure that:
    • boot0hfs is in the disk's mbr
    • boot1h in the Chimera partition's mbr and boot is in the root directory of this partition
    • GRUB2 is in the Linux partition's mbr
    • Windows will have its NTLDR
Here is a working example (edited for better reading):
Code:
/dev/disk0
ACTV  DEVICE   TYPE                   NAME            SIZE    MBR (Stage0)        PBR (Stage1)         BootFile (Stage 2)             UEFI BootFile
               GUID_partition_scheme                  750 GB  Chameleon boot0hfs
      disk0s1  XXXXXXXXX              <Wind. Recvy.>  1 GB                        Windows NTFS NTLDR
      disk0s2  EFI                                    209 MB                      Apple EFI
      disk0s3  Microsoft Basic Data   <Windows>       105 GB                      Windows NTFS NTLDR
                                                                                                       bootmgr(Windows Boot Manager)
      disk0s4  Apple_HFS              <OS X>          104 GB                      Chameleon boot1h
                                                                                                       boot(Chameleon v2.2svn r2187)
      disk0s5  Microsoft Basic Data   <Data, exFAT>   494 GB                      Windows NTFS NTLDR
      disk0s6  Microsoft Basic Data   <Linux>         20 GB                       GRUB
      disk0s7  Linux Swap                             8 GB
(Note: the EFI is not needed, I left it just in case some update or installer will look for it.)

• Get the Chimera/Chameleon stuff in place
    • Chameleon Wizard is your frind, if you have a net connection you can even download the latest version.
    • OR you boot from install stick or a linux disk/stick and use Terminal to dd the boot loaders. They are in /Volumes/<Your_ML_Installation_Stick>/usr/standalone/i386. (/usr/ is hidden, make invisible files visible to get to the files.
    • It's a good idea to copy the whole the folder i386 to the root level of your stick or to the linux stick in case of later need.

• Easiest way to get GRUB2 into the linux partition to boot into a Linux stick and install boot-repair. Use its advanced options to install GRUB into the partition (and nowhere else! Unless you like to go back and install the boot0hfs again).

• For the actual hybridizing you boot into the linux stick.
    • As a precaution, dd the mbr of your harddisk into a binary backup.
    • In Terminal, use gdisk (like fdisk but for gpt; you may have to install it first).
      • (You can verify the partitions and sort their numbers at will, not necessary but makes nice look :D)
      • Then create the hybrid mbr (in the 'recovery and transformation options').You can select ANY three partitions to go into the mbr no matter where they are (this is the big advantage over the gptsync way). What worked for me, YMMV:
        • Enter the partitions you want bootable. Here you MUST include the Chimera partition! (In the above example I entered partitions "1 3 4", "4" being my Mountain Lion.)
        • I had the EFI partition first in MBR, don't know whether No-ing that option would be harmful. (Expert opinion, please?)
        • For the three partitions I used the suggested defaults (didn't type any value, just hit enter) and had them all flagged as bootable. Had no problem with three such marked partitions. (Again, Expert opinion?)
      • Don't forget to write the new partition table!
  • Invoke gdisk again to check the new table:
    • It should list the MBR as hybrid; the partitions should look OK; ditto the protective mbr data (yeah, the menu says 'protective' but it's the hybrid thingy. No writing this time if it's OK.
It should look somewhat like this (empty lines and irrelevant stuff removed):
Code:
xxxxxxxxx ~ $ sudo gdisk /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.5
  Partition table scan:
  MBR: hybrid                      <=THAT'S WHAT WE WANT
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present
Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.
Command (? for help): r
Recovery/transformation command (? for help): o
MBR partitions:
Number  Boot  Start Sector   End Sector   Status      Code
   1                     1         xxxx   primary     0xEE
   2      *           xxxx      xxxxxxx   primary     0x27
   3      *        xxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxx   primary     0x07
   4      *      xxxxxxxxx    xxxxxxxxx   primary     0xAF      <= THE ML PARTITION IS BOOTABLE
  • Now, if your boot is set in BIOS to Hard Disk, a boot should open Chimera.
  • In ML, use Chameleon Wizard for fine-tuning and customization.
  • Enjoy!
DG

Boot sector files

Oh, one more thing: If you have more than one HFS partition, the Chimera one must be the first one to be found by boot0hfs. Or possible the only one marked bootable; I havent't tested that. If that doesn't work, try boot0 or boot0md instead of boot0hfs (again, didn't test it).

The different boot sector files may be confusing, here is what I understand so far. Copied/edited from various sources. (Note: I dont't have all these files, just took notes on the way.)

Into disk boot sector goes one of these:

boot0 - MBR sector that searches for active partition in MBR table. // boot0 = always search the first active primary HFS partition on disk1 only.

boot0hfs - MBR sector that search for HFS+ partition even if it is not active. Good for Windows that wants to have its partition active. // boot0hfs = always search the first primary HFS partition on disk1 only -- not need to be active (it could keep active on win partition for sleep issue).

boot0md = will search the first active primary HFS partition works like boot0 but could search for disk1 or disk2.... ("md" for "multi-disk"?)

Into partition boot sector goes one of these:

boot1h - PBR sector for HFS+ formatted partition. Searches for file "boot" in the root of its partition.

boot1h2 - PBR sector for HFS+ formatted partition with alternative booting with choice of key pressed. File to boot = "boot{key}".

boot1f32 - PBR sector for FAT32 formatted partition. Searches for file "boot" in the root of its partiton. Useful for EFI partition or USB stick. (For those who want the Chimera/Chameleon stuff in the EFI partition, for example)

boot1f32alt - PBR sector for FAT32 formatted partition with alternative booting with choice of key pressed. File to boot = "boot{key}".

EDIT
Most of the above files are available in Chameleon and Chimera. Their "boot" files are not identical!
In Chameleon 2.1 installer/usr/standalone/i386:
boot
boot0
boot0hfs
boot0md
boot1f32
boot1h
cdboot
In Chimera 2.0.1 installer/usr/standalone/i386:
boot
boot0
boot0md
boot1h
END EDIT

Why my boot0hfs still needs an active partition escapes me. :banghead:

Ceterum censeo we need a multiboot forum.

dg

What got me beyond a similar point was learning that Chimera/Chameleon CAN'T boot from a pure gpt disk. Apparently it needs a partition that is marked as active.

Well, it can ("boot from a pure GPT disk"), but BIOS implementations can vary...

hen create the hybrid mbr (in the 'recovery and transformation options').You can select ANY three partitions to go into the mbr no matter where they are (this is the big advantage over the gptsync way).

I actually use the gdisk method for hybird creation on my system now too, but I wrote the guide to be simple and thought that throwing gdisk in there (with its requirement to select the MBR partition type and a few other confusing/technical questions) would be too confusing for a simple guide.

Well, it can ("boot from a pure GPT disk"), but BIOS implementations can vary...

More likely I that overlooked or foobar'd something. <sigh>

I actually use the gdisk method for hybird creation on my system now too, but I wrote the guide to be simple and thought that throwing gdisk in there (with its requirement to select the MBR partition type and a few other confusing/technical questions) would be too confusing for a simple guide.

Good reasoning. I for one finally gave up on understanding what was necessary in gdisk and just tried. Maybe that's the reason for the next difficulty: Now I struggle with a Windows that doesn't recognize the exFAT data partition and warns that reformatting would create a dynamic drive. Is it safe to let it do that?

dg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back