Contribute
Register

DCB

Hi guys, hoping someone will be kind enough to save me a lot of time searching for anwers to a couple of questions!

My self modded Mac Pro 4,1 / 5,1 2 x 3.46GHz running Mojave isn't quite powerful enough any more so looking to go hackintosh route. However I use 3 bits of dated external hardware on Firewire 800 ports, and a very dated pcie card. I also run two ssd drives on pcie, including the boot drive. There are a further 4 HDDs which I'd like to still use and finally another ssd pluged into the CD drive port.

My simple question (hopefully) is: can I do a build which will have the necessary firewire ports (3/4) and pcie slots (3) and hdd connectivity?

Many thanks in advance,

Best, Dan

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370
CPU
i5 9400F
Graphics
XFX RX470
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
you can, if there is not enough HDD connectivity you can always add a new PCIe adapter with new set of r4-6 ports. but much wiser would be to take the number of HDDs down by buying larger one or store the data on a NAS.
Some of the mobos disable the 2 of 6 sata ports if you use NVMe drive so be aware of that. The older hw you have is a subject to compatibility with Catalina of course