Contribute
Register

Newbie Advise: My Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
after rethinking jim, i think its ok ill just purchase it here... in case of anything happen easy for me to send for warranty...

darthkir said:
after rethinking jim, i think its ok ill just purchase it here... in case of anything happen easy for me to send for warranty...

Ok, no problem. I think it'll be a bit hard finding sales in malaysia from the US :p
If you have anymore build questions, don't hesitate to ask!

jimx86 said:
darthkir said:

Ok, no problem. I think it'll be a bit hard finding sales in malaysia from the US :p
If you have anymore build questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks!

darthkir said:

No prob. By the way, mind posting your build so far? So that way the forum may give some feedback and we'll know how to better help you when you get errors. ;)

Hi James,

Need your opinion on this spec, if its any good.

1)Intel Xeon Processor X3450 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz) (ES)
2)Gigabyte P55A-UD3P
3)2x2GB Patriot DDR3-1333

Hi James,

James? :confused:

Need your opinion on this spec, if its any good.

Cool, Xeons are ok. I'm curious as to why you didn't choose a new Core i series.

2)Gigabyte P55A-UD3P

Why not just go with the P55A-UD3? You save $20 and there's no big difference.

If it's possible to purchase in Malaysia, I would recommend the G.Skill Eco Series 1600MHz RAM which is also DDR3 and 2x2GB but faster with CL7, consumes less power, and creates less heat.

jimx86 said:
Hi James,

James? :confused:

[quote:3hsqdzlx]Need your opinion on this spec, if its any good.

Cool, Xeons are ok. I'm curious as to why you didn't choose a new Core i series.

2)Gigabyte P55A-UD3P

Why not just go with the P55A-UD3? You save $20 and there's no big difference.

If it's possible to purchase in Malaysia, I would recommend the G.Skill Eco Series 1600MHz RAM which is also DDR3 and 2x2GB but faster with CL7, consumes less power, and creates less heat.[/quote:3hsqdzlx]

Jim,

Its undecided yet. Its only because a friend is letting go his hware above cheap so i am just considering.

BTW, what is the difference between a Xeon and an i5/i7 in term of real world performance?

darthkir said:
BTW, what is the difference between a Xeon and an i5/i7 in term of real world performance?

Honestly there's no difference between processors that's big enough to require a change, but I'll try to list as many differences as possible, starting from most important to least:

1. The Core i series has turbo boost, which saves energy when all that power isn't needed and uses it when it is. Of course both the Xeon and Core i series have speedstep which saves energy, but turbo boost actually speeds up the processor.

2. The Core i series is for mainstream (from low-end to high-end), the Xeon series is a server processor. It performs better doing server tasks.

3. The i7 is newer, the Xeon series doesn't get updated too much. The Core i series supports Nehalem architecture and 32 nm. The Xeon recently got updated to 32 nm, but it costs freaking a lot of money.

4. I think the Xeon uses less energy, but probably nothing to boast about.

I mean the rest is about the same. In the end, both of them ARE processors, they WILL perform everyday processor tasks, and they WILL perform like anything labeled a processor will.

Jim, i dont know if this is an issue but will my Samsung dvd burner work in os x? And what do u know about MSI P55 CD53 ?

darthkir said:
Jim, i dont know if this is an issue but will my Samsung dvd burner work in os x?

It should be fine. I've heard a couple complaints, but nothing big. The one you want to avoid is LG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back