Contribute
Register

Newbie Advise: My Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimx86 said:
darthkir said:
Hey, thanks to the effort on you part to enlighten me I actually havent gotten into any trouble yet LOL! Thanks again jim, wow its really faster on this forum than the other! I actually believe i will enjoy myself here!

Haha, no problem! ;)
We try our best to reach our readers as fast as possible! (I'm only available at certain hours, though there will be other mods/users who will be able to help).

Now I only have to deal with my HD 4850...

I'll try to find a previous post which deals with the Radeons.. That might take me some time.

Appreciate the advise, thanks!

Warning! Bad news ahead! :(

So far here's what I found out from a Moderator:
Be very careful with this one [The HD 4850]...
I helped a friend with this very same card, and it was a nightmare to get it running, but when we succeeded, it worked... for 3 days :(
He then started getting the black screen problem many discuss... He was so fed up that he went to the shop, picked up the first nVidia he could grab, and is now happily running it.
Morale: It's not impossible to get it running, but you might expect surprises down the road...

Maybe your best bet is an Nvidia?

jimx86 said:
Warning! Bad news ahead! :(

So far here's what I found out from a Moderator:
Be very careful with this one [The HD 4850]...
I helped a friend with this very same card, and it was a nightmare to get it running, but when we succeeded, it worked... for 3 days :(
He then started getting the black screen problem many discuss... He was so fed up that he went to the shop, picked up the first nVidia he could grab, and is now happily running it.
Morale: It's not impossible to get it running, but you might expect surprises down the road...

Maybe your best bet is an Nvidia?

If thats the case, what is similar and known to work?

Well, I would definitely recommend NVidia first of all, and for a price point:

$30-50: 9600 GT
$70-100: 9800 GT
$100-150: 9800 GTX+ or GTS 250
$150-200: GTX 260
$200+: GTX 285

jimx86 said:

a 9800 Gt it would be... :)

darthkir said:
jimx86 said:

a 9800 Gt it would be... :)
The 9800gt should provide you similar performance to that of the 4850, but without the headache (I'm the one that posted the messy story on the 4850... Since then, I avoid it like the plague...) :)

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

jimx86 said:
Here's a good deal on the BFG 9800 GT. It only has 512 MB RAM, but unless you're playing games, it should be fine. It will even work for dual monitors unless you have like 30" monitors. In which case you're the coolest person on the planet and envied by everyone :cool:.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143186&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-BFG+Technologies-_-14143186

That's cheap, unlucky they dont ship free internationally... :(

Hmm, which general country are you in? I may be able to help you get a deal there.. (at least I'll try, I've never tried purchasing internationally before :D )

jimx86 said:
Hmm, which general country are you in? I may be able to help you get a deal there.. (at least I'll try, I've never tried purchasing internationally before :D )
malaysia :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back