Contribute
Register

New UEFI updates for Gigabyte's high-end Z77 boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
@all: It's usual that the mainboard resets the BIOS after updating. Even the BIOS savegames are deleted. I recommend saving your actual settings as file to the drive you plugged in for updating BEFORE you install the new BIOS. After updating you can load the profile from the stick again.

You can find this feature in BIOS under Save & Exit, on the bottom you see "Save Profiles". There you choose "Select File in HDD/USB..."
After updating with Q-Flash (recommended) go back to Save & Exit and choose "Select File in HDD/USB" from "Load Profiles".
Now BIOS should be up to date with your old settings.

Article: New UEFI updates for Gigabyte's high-end Z77 boards

Just use @BIOS to update automatically on windows

Keep in mind that at the moment, at least for the Z77X-UD5H, @BIOS is listing F8 as the latest version, so it might not actually give you the most recently available BIOS/UEFI

I just updated my GA-Z77X-UD5H BIOS and it appears that all of my system settings have been reset to defaults. However, I did just begin using Time Machine too...so who knows which it is. This is my first time updating a BIOS.

This is normal, as the CMOS is being cleared during the flash process, just in case some of your custom settings are different from what is available in the update.

I just updated my GA-Z77X-UD5H. My first time updating a BIOS. It looks like my system setting have been completely reset, even the new version of ML got rolled back...weird. All my files are still here though. Is this normal?

A UEFI/BIOS update wouldn't affect the OS, so not sure what's going on here...

@all: It's usual that the mainboard resets the BIOS after updating. Even the BIOS savegames are deleted. I recommend saving your actual settings as file to the drive you plugged in for updating BEFORE you install the new BIOS. After updating you can load the profile from the stick again.

You can find this feature in BIOS under Save & Exit, on the bottom you see "Save Profiles". There you choose "Select File in HDD/USB..."
After updating with Q-Flash (recommended) go back to Save & Exit and choose "Select File in HDD/USB" from "Load Profiles".
Now BIOS should be up to date with your old settings.

Yes, it's normal, it's to avoid conflicts with custom settings. In @BIOS you can disable this, but not in Q-Flash afaik.

Was hoping this would fix the issue of getting my 560TI working on my UP5 TH... sadly no luck : (

Never!!!! Ever!!!! Ever use @BIOS to update your bios via windows IMHO , more boards have been bricked ( rendered useless ) by people using @Bios to update than any other method. Even Gigabyte discourage people from using the @Bios method because of instability issues with the program. Only ever use QFlash via bios to do your updates. Also once successfully updating your main bios version ( and verifying stability ) , remember to update the backup version of your bios to the same version number.

Never!!!! Ever!!!! Ever use @BIOS to update your bios via windows IMHO , more boards have been bricked ( rendered useless ) by people using @Bios to update than any other method. Even Gigabyte discourage people from using the @Bios method because of instability issues with the program. Only ever use QFlash via bios to do your updates. Also once successfully updating your main bios version ( and verifying stability ) , remember to update the backup version of your bios to the same version number.

Huh? Clearly we have very different experiences then, as I've been using @BIOS for years without any kind of problems at all. That said, if you're using OS X and don't have a dual boot system, you might as well use Q-Flash.
Besides, it's nigh on impossible to "brick" a Gigabyte motherboard thanks to the dual BIOS feature, so "people" are clearly wrong here.

I have to say that I don't understand what the big deal is about upgrading the BIOS/UEFI. It takes less than two minutes to do and unless there's a power cut, or you for some reason forced the wrong BIOS/UEFI to be installed, it's 99.9% impossible to cause any problems with the board. In my lifetime, I've only ever broken one system by flashing the BIOS and that was over 15 years ago and it was an odd Compaq system, so yeah, it's a pretty safe thing to do. Keep in mind that I've worked professional for various computer shops, Siemens-Nixdorf (when they were around) and as an IT journalist doing reviews of motherboards among many other things.

also just updated my Z77X-UP4, the intel 4000 HD still flicker upon each system start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back