Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Unsure
CPU
Intel Core i9
Graphics
Unsure
Hey, new here,

I want to make a powerful computer as I am an architect, so using programmes like Revit, AutoCAD, Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, I also make music as a hobby so I use Logic Pro X. I have read a couple guides and that different issues arise depending on the hardware so I was going to decide on which hardware to purchase before I read how to hack the kernel but I have recently read a little about clover boot which apparently makes hackintosh a lot easier. My plan was to ask you guys some questions and help point me in the right direction.

Parts:

I wanted to avoid compatibility issues so I'd like to know what you guys have, would you recommend it? What did you almost get?

Processor: Intel Core i9, because I have read that they are more compatible with MacOS however recently AMD have become easier to hackintosh, however I think I will just stick with Intel, do you any of you have any of these or recommend something I haven't listed? Compatibility issue's?

a - i9-9900KS, 8 core, 4.0 GHz
b - i9-10900X, 10 core, 3.7 GHz
c - i9-9920X, 12 core, 3.5GHz
d - i9-9960X, 16 core, 3.1GHz

Motherboard: What motherboard will work on the processors mentioned above?

GPU: Unsure about this, haven't really looked into it but I think I wanted to ideally get 16GB with hoping to upgrade to 32GB one day but I will settle for an 8GB. If I wanted to get a 16, would you recommend 2x8 or 1x16? I assumed most motherboards could handle 2 GPU's, can hackintosh?

Cooling: I was looking into liquid cooling and read that it was superior to fan cooling, again, what do you guys have? what would you recommend, do you wish you had switched?

Monitor: I currently have one monitor with plans to soon get a second, I'd assume the motherboard could handle this?

SSD: I was thinking of getting 2x1TB, 1TB = mac os, 1TB = Windows + Linux (I believe I have to alter partition schemes)

All other parts, I am unsure about, however I know I would like WIFI, sound and bluetooth and have read about some compatibility issues regarding all three of these issues. Also being a future build, I assume I will be downloading Catalina, have you guys had difficulties with parts when either initially downloading it or upgrading to it from past software?

Sorry for all the questions, new here and figured one long post would be better than a few short ones. I am open to suggestions for all parts, but basically wanted a powerful computer with 8+ cores, 16gb of GPUs and 128gb of ram, 1tb of hard drive. I hope you have a good day, and thanks for helping.

I would suggest you take a look at the various Golden Builds at https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/golden-builds.87/
Not only is the hardware listed, but most of them have detailed problem/resolution sections and how-to-install Mac OS that should get you up and running in the shortest possible time with little or no trouble. The research on what is compatible or not has already been done for you if you copy one of these builds.
You might also want to browse the System Usage forum at https://www.tonymacx86.com/categories/system-usage.19/ and look through the sections you might have an interest in, like the Music forum or the Photography forum.

Mr Going Bald, your link going to 87 plateforme builds....so too olds builds. We don't need that anymore, we need the best newer platforms like Z490, Z390, X299, X299X platformes

Hey, new here,

I want to make a powerful computer as I am an architect, so using programmes like Revit, AutoCAD, Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, I also make music as a hobby so I use Logic Pro X. I have read a couple guides and that different issues arise depending on the hardware so I was going to decide on which hardware to purchase before I read how to hack the kernel but I have recently read a little about clover boot which apparently makes hackintosh a lot easier. My plan was to ask you guys some questions and help point me in the right direction.

Parts:

I wanted to avoid compatibility issues so I'd like to know what you guys have, would you recommend it? What did you almost get?

Processor: Intel Core i9, because I have read that they are more compatible with MacOS however recently AMD have become easier to hackintosh, however I think I will just stick with Intel, do you any of you have any of these or recommend something I haven't listed? Compatibility issue's?

a - i9-9900KS, 8 core, 4.0 GHz
b - i9-10900X, 10 core, 3.7 GHz
c - i9-9920X, 12 core, 3.5GHz
d - i9-9960X, 16 core, 3.1GHz

Motherboard: What motherboard will work on the processors mentioned above?

GPU: Unsure about this, haven't really looked into it but I think I wanted to ideally get 16GB with hoping to upgrade to 32GB one day but I will settle for an 8GB. If I wanted to get a 16, would you recommend 2x8 or 1x16? I assumed most motherboards could handle 2 GPU's, can hackintosh?

Cooling: I was looking into liquid cooling and read that it was superior to fan cooling, again, what do you guys have? what would you recommend, do you wish you had switched?

Monitor: I currently have one monitor with plans to soon get a second, I'd assume the motherboard could handle this?

SSD: I was thinking of getting 2x1TB, 1TB = mac os, 1TB = Windows + Linux (I believe I have to alter partition schemes)

All other parts, I am unsure about, however I know I would like WIFI, sound and bluetooth and have read about some compatibility issues regarding all three of these issues. Also being a future build, I assume I will be downloading Catalina, have you guys had difficulties with parts when either initially downloading it or upgrading to it from past software?

Sorry for all the questions, new here and figured one long post would be better than a few short ones. I am open to suggestions for all parts, but basically wanted a powerful computer with 8+ cores, 16gb of GPUs and 128gb of ram, 1tb of hard drive. I hope you have a good day, and thanks for helping.

Processors:

The 9920X and 9960X aren't really worth it (the 10920X and 10940X are way better deals). I'd just say avoid the processors that aren't LGA1200 or LGA1151.

Get an Intel Core i9 10900K. 10c/20t, better than the 10900X

Motherboards:

I would recommend Z490. These are some great options:

Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA/MASTER
ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F

Memory (RAM):

Tips:

3600 MHz is the best price to performance RAM currently.
Get at least 2 sticks for best performance.
Best brands for Hackintoshing are Corsair, G.Skill and Crucial..
The lower the CAS latency, the better (i.e. C15).
The higher the MHz, the better.

Good options are:

Corsair Vengeance LPX
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
G.Skill Ripjaws V
G.Skill Trident Z Royal
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT
Crucial Ballistix RGB

GPU:

Yes, you can have 2 GPUs (some support CFX), but I would recommend just one more powerful one.

If you aren't planning on gaming, here are some options:

Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 570 - 4GB RAM - up to 3 monitors
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 - 8GB RAM - up to 4 monitors
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5500 XT - 4GB or 8GB RAM - up to 4 monitors
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 5500 XT - Same as PULSE 5500 XT, just some RGB
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 5500 XT SE - Same as NITRO+, just RGB fans

If you are gonna be gaming, here are some options:

Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT - 6GB RAM - up to 4 monitors
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5600 XT BE - Same as PULSE 5600 XT, just UEFI
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5700 - 8GB RAM - up to 4 monitors
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5700 XT - 8GB RAM - up to 4 monitors
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 5700 XT - Same as PULSE 5700 XT, just another fan and RGB
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 5700 XT SE - Same as NITRO+ 5700 XT, just RGB fans
AMD Radeon VII - 16GB RAM - up to 4 monitors
AMD Big Navi - being released in September

CPU Cooling:

Best brands are Corsair and NZXT for AIOs. I would recommend a 240, 280 or 360mm radiator for a 10900K

Monitor:

Your graphics card will handle the monitor, not your CPU or motherboard.

SSDs:

I would recommend the WD Black SN750 and Samsung 970 EVO Plus, whatever suits your needs. Personally, this is what I would do:

macOS: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Windows 10: WD Black SN750 500GB
Linux: If the mobo has 3 NVMe M.2 Slots, then a WD SN750 (500GB or 250GB), if it only has 2, then I would do a SATA III SSD from one of these brands:

Samsung
Crucial
Seagate
Kingston
Western Digital

Hard Drives:

Something from Seagate or Western Digital that suits your needs.

WiFi & Bluetooth:

Get a fenvi T919. I have one and it works great.

I hope this helped you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back