Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D, rev. 1
CPU
AMD 5900x
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro + SE, Radeon 6800 xt
Hello guys.

Does any one tried new Samsung 980 (not pro version) with Hackintosh ? Should I expect any troubles with this SSD.
If yes what is the best SSD for Hackintosh ?
Thanks for reply.

Attachments

• ImgW.jpg
    ImgW.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 184
@T1pek

I'm looking for the same answer. Have you gotten any?

Hi, Yes I got it. I have no problem so far. Everthing looks fine. Running hackintosh 10 days. First I update firmware by Samsung Magican Tool and than insall hackintosh, So cant tell if it works out of box...
Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 14.28.50.png

Hi, Yes I got it. I have no problem so far. Everthing looks fine. Running hackintosh 10 days. First I update firmware by Samsung Magican Tool and than insall hackintosh, So cant tell if it works out of box...View attachment 518190
without updating the firmware, I got "applenvme assert failed% ( 0 != data )" in the last steps of the installation before the language selection appears (big Sur 11.1)

Hi, I have a Monterey Hackintosh running on a Samsung 980 for a couple of weeks. I'm noticing some issues when trying to access apps, files, basically anything reads/writes to the drive... does anyone have a similar problem? Thanks

SanDisk drives are good if you want a solid SSD for macOS. As are Western Digital NVMe/SSD's. No firmware or Trim issues with either of these makes.

Hi, I have a Monterey Hackintosh running on a Samsung 980 for a couple of weeks. I'm noticing some issues when trying to access apps, files, basically anything reads/writes to the drive... does anyone have a similar problem? Thanks
I am running 980 pro samsung with ventura ... but to boot it takes long time and it's freezing trying to load data. I got a WD 770 and I will install it tomorrow and re-install ventura. I wish I knew about the problem 980 pro have. ... lesson learned :)

You can use the Samsung drive to dual boot Windows or as a data drive. They are just no good for running macOS.

I am running 980 pro samsung with ventura ... but to boot it takes long time and it's freezing trying to load data. I got a WD 770 and I will install it tomorrow and re-install ventura. I wish I knew about the problem 980 pro have. ... lesson learned :)
Samsung 980 Pro SSDs have been known to have problems on both Windows and MacOS :

I strongly recommend updating the firmware on the SSD if you have not done so, BEFORE you continue to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back