Contribute
Register

New Pro Tools HD Build - [GUIDE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you gotten HD4 to work? I asked a friend in Japan to get me the GA-P75-D3P because of the lower profile heatsink.
When it showed up in the mail is was the GA-P75-D3. It's been sitting in my studio unused because I haven't heard of a successful HD4 build so there was no need to take my GA-HA-USB3 apart.
You are correct to point out that the GA-P75-D3 has limited i/o. That's another reason I've been slow to build it.
I think 1155 with Thunderbolt is the way to go but the 6 core 2011 would be a very powerful PT HD Native build.

I can confirm HD4 works in NAF92 and NAF93.
I have yet to try a build based on P75-D3(P). I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
g\

I didnt realize those newer Jetway mobos had usb 3.0. thats good to know. My 1156 GA-H55-USB3 is running 10.6.8 and i cant remember which multibeast i used as it was pre 'Snow Leopard Edition' fare. BUT it had USB 3.0 drivers in it and they work great. As for my next build (which will be an HD1 simply) im going to try and stick with the GA-P75-D3 and an i5 processor, i can get them both for the price of the Jetway at my local Microcenter and i already know the USB 3.0 will work and so will ML 10.8.2 - HD8. My only hitch is that its getting difficult to find EXTRA licenses for 8..........

Hi everyone!!! The Jetway Naf92 is a great board. Thats no doubt. I saw the specs of the Naf93, one of the difference is USB 3.0. The GA P75 D3 has USB 3.0 only one SATA 6 the Jetway has 2. I like boards without video cards. The Vortex 3 SSD run super fast. i use one WD Black for protools sessions, another one for my productions libraries and plugins libraries like Reason and the NI soft synths. The plugins are installed on the SSD. Protools 9.5 works great. For now I stay in 9 until I found a cheap PT 10 licence. I love the delay compensation in PT10 and the volume thing. Even though is a HD2 system. I use a lot of UAD plugs. At work I use PT10 in a macpro 2.8 8 core but with 003. I prefer my Hack is more faster and almost doesn't think to open plugins. Hey Billy Joe installing the plugs will take you around 10 to 20 minutes depending how many plugins you have. You can download the updates from apple web page for your apple app. Is more faster than waiting the download from app store or software update. I have a mobile hd with all the updates and plug installer so I can install fast and get to work. Take care everyone

I didnt realize those newer Jetway mobos had usb 3.0. thats good to know. My 1156 GA-H55-USB3 is running 10.6.8 and i cant remember which multibeast i used as it was pre 'Snow Leopard Edition' fare. BUT it had USB 3.0 drivers in it and they work great. As for my next build (which will be an HD1 simply) im going to try and stick with the GA-P75-D3 and an i5 processor, i can get them both for the price of the Jetway at my local Microcenter and i already know the USB 3.0 will work and so will ML 10.8.2 - HD8. My only hitch is that its getting difficult to find EXTRA licenses for 8..........

Squizo, I ticked the USB3 driver option when I set up my GA-H55-USB3. The ports work but not at USB3 speed. I do remember that I had to use an older version of multibeast to get the audio to work. It was not pre- SL but why would that matter? This is the stuff I can't wrap my head around.

Are you using the DSDT for the GA-H55-USB3? I know i did, i cant really think of anything else i did differently, i will let you know exactly which version of multibeast i used, i know it SHOULDNT matter, but i built 2 rigs with that mobo and when i went to use the newer 'Snow Leopard' version of multibeast i couldnt even get it to reboot.

Are you using the DSDT for the GA-H55-USB3? I know i did, i cant really think of anything else i did differently, i will let you know exactly which version of multibeast i used, i know it SHOULDNT matter, but i built 2 rigs with that mobo and when i went to use the newer 'Snow Leopard' version of multibeast i couldnt even get it to reboot.

Yes, I'm using the DSDT for the GA-H55-USB3. I had the same problem during my build. The DSDT/Multibeast combo I was using for my SL build did not work at all.
It was driving me crazy as you may have read in my early posts. I was completely lost. Couldn't boot. Then No video. Blue screen. Then No mouse. One problem after another.
I had to go back 2 or 3 versions to find one that worked. I finally got everything working but that was before USB3 devices came out. Once they did I realized I was not getting the superspeed. The ports work but at USB2 speed.

I've tried to flash the USB3 firmware but not being a PC guy I wasn't successful with that. It's not the end of the world when it's all said and done.
I use eSata and FW800 mostly to transfer between drives.

Now that PT11 has arrived I'm going to see if my PT10HD3 TDM system will play nice with it. If I can get them both working on this GA-H55-USB3 then I'm going to build a new system with the GA-P75-D3. I have a 4th PCIx Accel and the GA-P75-D3 has a coaxial S/PDIF output which should allow me to run Native using my UA2192 as the stereo converter. This is what I do now but with an RME card as the interface. The whole digital optical output thing is too complicated. Most devices are ADAT optical and they don't work with S/PDIF optical.

Using my existing iStarUSA D-400 rack, memory (I'll change the memory from 16Gb to 32Gb after the build is working), video card, UA2 Quad card and hard drives.
My new build would be:
GA-P75-D3
i7-3770K
AVID HD4 PT10HD / PT11HD Native
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Plextor M5M PX-256 mSata SSD
HighPoint RocketRaid 642L SATA III or Rosewill RC-230 SATA II controller
Sedna 3.5" 2xUSB3 + 2xUSB2 front panel

So I'll lose my FW connectivity but I'll hopefully gain USB3 and still have eSata.

I'll keep everyone posted as I get into this. First thing is to make sure PT10 & PT11 play nice with each other as AVID has said they would.

"Yes, I'm using the DSDT for the GA-H55-USB3. I had the same problem during my build. The DSDT/Multibeast combo I was using for my SL build did not work at all.
It was driving me crazy as you may have read in my early posts. I was completely lost. Couldn't boot. Then No video. Blue screen. Then No mouse. One problem after another."

Im actually going to start building my ga-p75-d3 rig tonite, i have a folder with all of my successful builds and what versions of everything i have so i'll let you know the multibeast i used and post a picture of what i checked.

I have to admit im a simple soul. i just need a mobile HD1 and 16ins8outs and PTHD 8. An i5 in mine will be more than sufficient and i only need ONE USB3.0 port, i dont know why you would need more, but if you did there are more taps on the mobo. So far it will of cost me around $1200-$1300 for this.

I used multibeast version 3.7.2 for my GA-H55-USB2.....i'll post a pic soon of the stuff i checked in it.

Hope this helps!

I have a question about the B75 chipset, which it seems it might be reasonably easy to actually buy. It's seemingly impossible to source a Jetway board anymore.

I'm thinking about the Gigabyte board, the GA-P75-D3.

But I want to install Snow Leopard - I have no real reason to go beyond 10.6.8 as I only need to use PT10 with HD cards.

Would it be possible to use a Sandy Bridge CPU like an i7 2700k with this board? From brief research so far it seems like it should work, but will I be able to get a stable 10.6.8 install with PTHD cards with this modern hardware?

I'm not bothered about having Ivy Bridge speed/performance, but this board appeals because it's reasonably future proofed in case I want to go ML/Mavericks in a year or 2, plus in theory there should be no need for DSDT due to being UEFI.

Any advice would be massively appreciated - last time I built a hack was P55/H55 chipset days! I'm feeling a little rusty with all these new-fangled chipsets and CPUs :)

I have a question about the B75 chipset, which it seems it might be reasonably easy to actually buy. It's seemingly impossible to source a Jetway board anymore.

I'm thinking about the Gigabyte board, the GA-P75-D3.

B75 chipset will not run on Snow Leopard - if you want to use Snow Leopard then you need to search for suitable Sandy Bridge board (supported in 10.6.8)

But I want to install Snow Leopard - I have no real reason to go beyond 10.6.8 as I only need to use PT10 with HD cards.

Would it be possible to use a Sandy Bridge CPU like an i7 2700k with this board? From brief research so far it seems like it should work, but will I be able to get a stable 10.6.8 install with PTHD cards with this modern hardware?

No and that is going to be your problem B75 (Ivy Bridge) was supported from 10.7.5

I'm not bothered about having Ivy Bridge speed/performance, but this board appeals because it's reasonably future proofed in case I want to go ML/Mavericks in a year or 2, plus in theory there should be no need for DSDT due to being UEFI.

Any suitable Sandy Bridge motherboard from Gigabyte that you purchase new should have UEFI bios

Any advice would be massively appreciated - last time I built a hack was P55/H55 chipset days! I'm feeling a little rusty with all these new-fangled chipsets and CPUs :)

If you use an Ivy Bridge board, its not a great idea to use a Sandy Bridge CPU. One thing is for sure - you will be installing Mountain Lion.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back