Contribute
Register

New Pro Tools HD Build - [GUIDE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have HD2 running in a x58 system right now, I want some more power and thinking about upgrading to a sandybridge... I have PCI-E cards, so does that mean I dont have to worry about this native pci problem? The cards are running great on my sabertooth x58... I was thinking about getting the Sabertooth P67

Thanks

last week i finally decided to retire my (buggy) X58 mobo and take the plunge
towards a 2600K and the jetway

thanks a lot to Jim as his guide was really precious to make this happens

it took me a couple of days to get my HD2 running but so far so good

still i got left with 2 major problems :(

first my boot time was insanely long : after some online search i figured i had to
disable the internal graphics in the Bios which solved it right away and took my boot time to just a couple of seconds

but now i'm left with a much bigger problem : i modified the internet ktext to get rid of my custom airport card

(there is not enough pci-e slots on this board so i'm trying to get an extra one)

after the mod the internet started working but once i retired the airport i got all my plug-ns that uses key/response authorization to fail like the IK-Multimedia stuff or the Spectrasonics which are now giving me blank challenge numbers to (re) authorize

i thought i could solve this by re-installing the original unmodified version of the ktext
but the only thing it does is breaking the ethernet port

anyone got this problem or as a solution or at least an idea about this (big) problem ?

Has anyone gotten Sleep to work successfully on this build in SL 10.6.8? My system goes to sleep fine, but wakes up about 5 seconds after.

Not sure if I should post here or the proposed Sandy bridge thread, so I'll post progress here too.

Progress so far on my Jetway build for Protools HD3.

Slight hiccup as the MB would not even boot to setup the Bios using the graphics card I first installed. Surprising as it was a standard Nvidea Geforce 8800GT.
Swopped for an Assus 210 silent which I had. That's better, entered setup and set up Bios. [I'm no expert, but this Bios is very different to the ones I have set up on my previous Hackintoshes]

Tried 2 ways to install10.6.8
1. In Jetway using iBoot 3.2 10.6.3 Retail /Update helper / 10.6.8 and Combo updater. FAIL. I think I failed to reboot after update helper so the combo update KP'd very dramatically as it was moving items into place.

2. Create OS on other Hackintosh [ i7 based Gigabyte MB]
Fresh disk in machine format and install retail 10.6.3 w iBoot
Update helper
Combo updater
Manual install using Vood DSDT from other thread plus multibeast
Move disk to Jetway and boot. Success.
Not got graphics acceleration, I think I need to change to graphics enabler =yes
I'll try that ASAP
No sound no ethernet as yet. More news as it happens...

Thanks to all

The Gimmer

Update:

I can confirm it is possible to install SL retail and upgrade to 10.6.8 successfully on the Jetway. [re. post on p1 of this thread] I had tried previously and failed because I had not restarted after using update helper. The correct sequence worked flawlessly:
Boot with iBoot 3.2
Install retail 10.6.3 DVD
Create admin account
run update helper
Restart [still using iboot]
Install 10.6.8 combo updater
Run multibeast

I then installed kexts for ethernet and sound and all works flawlesly

The Gimmer

Let me start by saying I am running a jetway q67, w/ i5 2500k, 8gb ram, pny 9800gt, syba FireWire, my bios settings match the op, and I am not having any trouble booting to 10.6.8, everything works, but I am having pro tools trouble. Am running hd2-pt8.05

My pro tools takes an extra long time to load, and when it does during playback I get a loop of a second or so based on where I start playing the session, even tho I see the play marker moving steadily thru my session I can only hear that first second or so of audio repeating. If I change my buffer samples the loop changes in length. Every thing appears normal besides.

Any ideas? I see only dead ends in other threads that mention the same...

skoocha303 said:
last week i finally decided to retire my (buggy) X58 mobo and take the plunge
towards a 2600K and the jetway

thanks a lot to Jim as his guide was really precious to make this happens

it took me a couple of days to get my HD2 running but so far so good

still i got left with 2 major problems :(

first my boot time was insanely long : after some online search i figured i had to
disable the internal graphics in the Bios which solved it right away and took my boot time to just a couple of seconds

but now i'm left with a much bigger problem : i modified the internet ktext to get rid of my custom airport card

(there is not enough pci-e slots on this board so i'm trying to get an extra one)

after the mod the internet started working but once i retired the airport i got all my plug-ns that uses key/response authorization to fail like the IK-Multimedia stuff or the Spectrasonics which are now giving me blank challenge numbers to (re) authorize

i thought i could solve this by re-installing the original unmodified version of the ktext
but the only thing it does is breaking the ethernet port

anyone got this problem or as a solution or at least an idea about this (big) problem ?

buy one of these, gets recognized OOB. no kexts needed, the Jetway board has a slot for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320861244985?ss ... 1423.l2649

Hey Jetwayers,
sorry its been so long for a follow-up. now that i have more time i'll try to post more info. I have now put together 3 of these systems, and a fourth on its way. One of them is even running HD4.

In any case, let me try and address a couple recent comments first:

@subaro0o
If you have PCI-e based HD cards you don't need the Jetway board, you can build with any supported modern board. I suggest a nice gigabyte sandy bridge or even ivy bridge if you can wait a while longer.

@macjunkie
I had this issue on 2 of the 3 systems i put together. The first time i checked digitest and it failed on the TDM connection. i reseated the cards and reconnected the tdm cables and it has worked perfectly ever since.

The second time digitest was passing, but i had the cards installed in the last 3 PCI slots, not the first 3. the core card REALLY wants to be in that top PCI slot, after installing the cards in the first 3 slots and a UAD in the fourth everything has worked fine ever since.

@skoocha303
I am not sure how to fix your authorzation issues, but the best WiFi adapter i have used to date is:
EUB9603H
extraordinary range. good mac drivers. you can even install it inside the case if you get a couple of USB to motherboard header adapters. That's typically how i install it.

Cheers for now,
g\

Bout to start my second build :)

The first one went OK. Had major issues with the ethernet and USB messing with the iLok and causing super slow PT load times and having to reauth all of the plugins on each startup. Resolved it with a solid USB and Ethernet Kext (don't remember which ones).

Has anyone tried the new BIOS http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NAF92-Q67.html?

I'm going to try the Lion Methor on Page 11 this time. And I am also going to try to compile my own DSDT. I use the 1GB silent 210, but would rather use the onboard HD graphics with Lion. Will both monitors work?

Thanks guys. Luff you ;)

PS. I totally LOLed when I read step 5 of the installation instructions.

1. Prepare a MS-DOS boot disk.
2. Download the zip file.
3. Unzip the file and copy to any storage location accessible by the host system.
4. Reboot the PC into MS-DOS mode and run *.bat in command prompt.
5. Wait in suspense until the update finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back