Contribute
Register

New Pro Tools HD Build - [GUIDE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz memory work ok or should I just stick with 1333mhz?

Thanks for the thread guys !

My older magma chassis didn't work for me (intel chip bridge insted of permicom).

So buying parts for my build tonight ( HD3 ).

Same part list as jimdrake on newegg. except 16 Gb (4x4Gb) Corsair and using asus silent en9600gt, different powersupply, 1.5 Tb wd black recording drive .

Wish me luck !

Ciao, I would like to build my first Hackintosh with Jetway, i7 2600k and Jimdrake suggested hardware. Do you have something to suggest to complete Jim's Guide to install 10.6.8 with protools hd2 and one Uad 2 solo in a Jetway mb? Thank you very much for your work and your help!

jimdrake said:

You should be good with the Jetway as it has 4 PCI and 3 PCIe slots. Use 2 PCI for the PT cards and one of the PCIe for the UAD card.

Ciao thanks, I go for Jetway.
Someone can tell me the best and compatible hardware and the correct and simplest step to step way to install 10.6 and Protools 9 TDM? Thank you!

Check the first post in this thread. Everything thats needed is there

I'm up. Dual boot with Win 7 and OS 10.6.8

Pro tools HD3 9.03.

Iboot
I did the install on this build 10.6.3, update helper, combo update to 10.6.8.
Multi beast with DSDT posted in here.

Kernel panic cause by AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext on startup.

I was able to boot up with iBoot. Deleted AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext and good to go.

It took a few tries to get it but worked for me.

Thanks guys !

Hello all fellow PCIx PTHD users,
Based on the work done in this thread i have a working HD3 on this jetway naf92 board. I actually went through quite a bit of struggle getting everything to work. I want to share with you what i have found- some of its seems new to the thread and potentially very useful. I also want to ask for assistance in a couple of areas i am stuck. This board is nearly perfect and has the potential to be the best PCI HD3/HD4 platform available.
So first let me cover my discoveries, i apologize if this has been published before:

1) PTHD 9.05, 9.06 (and i assume 10.0/10.01 though i dont have it to try yet) all work perfectly in lion now up to 10.7.3. I had the same issue many report with DigiDal.kext causing a panic on boot. But i also had this issue on a real mac running 10.6.8, and 10.7 - and was able to reproduce the results on a hacint0sh and real mac alike running any OS past 10.6.7.

What seems to be the issue is the order of the kextloading, or perhaps something else but the resolution is pretty simple, the kext cache has to be built INSIDE the OS. If this is done the machine will always be able to boot fine with DigiDal working and no panics. For whatever reason if the cache is built during boot (as in the case of flushing cache with -f kernel flag, or in the case of updating the OS to the next point release) it will cause a kernel panic. But if the cache is built inside the OS and the kernel cache is used during boot everything works perfectly. I have therefore verified that lion 10.7.3 works fine with this board with DigiDal.kext and HD1-3 configuration.

In fact if you are running 10.6.8 and use the -f flag you will get a KP on boot with DigiDal. I dont recommend trying this because once you -f it deletes the cache and will try to rebuild it on each boot, never succeeding because of the KP. You will then have to boot in to safe mode, move the DigiDal kext out of S/L/E, reboot normally, then use a kext installing tool to re-install DigiDal.kext, let the cache rebuild (it should do this normally when detecting a new kext present) and reboot again (not using -f of course).

So the solution with 10.6.8 is quite easy, just never use -f. And if you do start getting the panic because for some reason the cache is trying to build at boot, you have to enter safe mode and perform the procedure noted above.

In the case of 10.7.x it is a bit more complicated, and that is why so many of you started to think its not possible or compatible. On hacint0sh 10.7.x actually flushes the cache at boot "normally". That is to say if no kernel flag is there telling it to use the kernel cache, it will flush and rebuild the cache on boot. Therefore there does not seem to be a use for -f in 10.7 because that is what it normally does anyway. This is in contrast to a real mac where it will normally use the kernel cache at boot even in 10.7. So the problem is less likely on a real mac due to this difference in behavior. However getting it to work on a hack in 10.7 is no problem either. You just have to do things in the correct order.

Once you have your OS fully updated you can install pro tools and DigiDal just fine. Then make sure that the cache is rebuilt. This should happen when pro tools finishes installing, but just in case you can run from the terminal: touch /System/Library/Extensions
You may have to put sudo in front.

This should force the kextcache to be rebuilt. Now make certain you have in your org.chameleon.boot.plist the following kernel flag: UseKernelCache=Yes

Now whenever the OS boots it will use the prebuilt cache and everything will work.
NOW if you need to perform another point update, say 10.7.3 to 10.7.4:
Because after a point update the OS seems to force to rebuild its cache at the next boot, you must first move DigiDal out of S/L/E. Once the OS has rebooted after update, you can re-install DigiDal.kext in S/L/E using your preferred kext install method. Make sure the cache gets rebuilt using the touch command above (let it finish rebuilding, wait for the kextd task to finish). Reboot again (making certain your boot plist still has UseKernelCache enabled) and you will be fine until the next point update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back