Contribute
Register

New EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB installed on El Capitan - not recognised, flashing cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5-FB
CPU
i7-950
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Hi All,

I have been a long time hackintosh user but a noob to the forums and hackintosh in general.

I don't usually update my system due to concerns about stability.

Anyway, my old bfg nvida 8800gtx graphics card decided to stop working after 10 years so I replaced it with an EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB as this was recommended from 2017 buyers guide.

My system spec is

i7 3.1ghz 950
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 Rev: 2 BIOS: FB
12GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence Ram
EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
3TB HDD
El Capitan 10.11.2

Since installation of the new card, I noticed that a 'white square' behind the cursor keeps flashing and in the 'about this mac' section it says Graphics: unknown 0MB.

Is there a way to install any new nvidia drivers without having to updates to Sierra?

Its also been a long time since I did any post installation so if you could also let me know if and where I need to place the new driver and whether I need to update the congig.plist.

Thanks

Hi All,

I have been a long time hackintosh user but a noob to the forums and hackintosh in general.

I don't usually update my system due to concerns about stability.

Anyway, my old bfg nvida 8800gtx graphics card decided to stop working after 10 years so I replaced it with an EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB as this was recommended from 2017 buyers guide.

My system spec is

i7 3.1ghz 950
EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
3TB HDD
El Capitan 10.11.2

Since installation of the new card, I noticed that a 'white square' behind the cursor keeps flashing and in the 'about this mac' section it says Graphics: unknown 0MB.

Is there a way to install any new nvidia drivers without having to update to Sierra?

Its also been a long time since I did any post installation so if you could also let me know if and where I need to place the new driver and whether I need to update the config.plist.

Thanks

For Pascal graphics cards like your GTX 1050 Ti, Nvidia only provides drivers for Sierra, not any older operating systems. So unfortunately if you don't want to upgrade to Sierra, you can't use this card to its full potential.

If you want to stay with El Capitan, you will have to get a graphics card still supported in El Capitan or have drivers for it, such as a GT730 or GT740.

Thank you for the quick response, if I were to update to sierra, would the other parts like my processor and motherboard be compatible with the new OS?

Thank you for the quick response, if I were to update to sierra, would the other parts like my processor and motherboard be compatible with the new OS?
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

if I were to update to sierra, would the other parts like my processor and motherboard be compatible with the new OS?

My spec is:

7 3.1ghz 950
EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
3TB HDD

if I were to update to sierra, would the other parts like my processor and motherboard be compatible with the new OS?

My spec is:

7 3.1ghz 950
EVGA 1050TI SSC 4GB
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
3TB HDD
Please add the information to your profile as required by the rules :
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you
Your hardware should be capable of running Sierra.

Thank you p1lgrim

Those should work.

I'm sticking to El Capitan for now, so I got the Gigabyte GT 730 2GB DDR5 card, the problem is after I have installed it, when it boots, it gets to the apple logo with the progress bar and reaches half way before rebooting. It keeps on repeating this cycle.

** When I installed an EVGA 1050TI 4GB DDR5 card, it loaded straight out of the box and took me to my desktop screen. The less GT 730 card does not even let me do that. **

I have done the following:

1. Attempted to boot from El Capitan (unibeast) USB first created prior to el capitan install. This has done nothing, even when choosing to boot from external at the tonymac screen it went 100% and then restarted.

2. Tried booting from the 'recovery drive' from the same screen and that did nothing.

Can anyone help, if I have to boot with nv_disable=1 - where do I do this? Hackintosh noob here.

I'm sticking to El Capitan for now, so I got the Gigabyte GT 730 2GB DDR5 card, the problem is after I have installed it, when it boots, it gets to the apple logo with the progress bar and reaches half way before rebooting. It keeps on repeating this cycle.

** When I installed an EVGA 1050TI 4GB DDR5 card, it loaded straight out of the box and took me to my desktop screen. The less GT 730 card does not even let me do that. **

I have done the following:

1. Attempted to boot from El Capitan (unibeast) USB first created prior to el capitan install. This has done nothing, even when choosing to boot from external at the tonymac screen it went 100% and then restarted.

2. Tried booting from the 'recovery drive' from the same screen and that did nothing.

Can anyone help, if I have to boot with nv_disable=1 - where do I do this? Hackintosh noob here.

I believe have nvidia injected from my previous install. I have attached a screenshot from my clover boot options screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back