Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z390M Gaming
CPU
i7-9700
Graphics
RX 580
I have a I7-97OO a gigabyte Rx580, and a Z390 M Gaming Motherboard!! can anyone help me get this system up and running. this rig is going to be used primarily for video editing. can anyone help me get started. please!!!!

hey@howcho any idea if my setup in good, at the state that its in

hey@howcho any idea if my setup in good, at the state that its in

Hi there.

We do not know what state your components are in, but if you want to see a great build on the same motherboard, take a look here:

There is so much support here that you should find everything you need. All your components are compatible. :thumbup:

Yes, what Utterdisbelief said up there, but also: you've just got to put your hardware together, then follow the instructions for the system install, and go from there. There will be issues, no doubt, so deal with them as they arise. For any issues, there are forums here, all with their particular protocols. Follow the protocols and use them. Simple!

ok so I have put everything together but for some strange reason I can't get a Bootloaders to work and mount a efi to my usb!!!.. I have done everything but no luck... can anyone help please..

btw am using the build guide listed above.

@Howcho @UtterDisbelief

Last edited:
You might have to get a bit more specific here. At what step does the process break down.

I suggest you list all the steps you have taken so far, and what happens at each step.

Do it.

So here's the Skinny: @Howcho @pastrychef

And if anyone has any input please help please. i can feel it almost being done!!!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

All these steps were done on a Mac book pro 2015 - I did not disabled the SIP.

USB Steps:

i have download the EFI file attached (r5103) on the first link

i made the USB installer (using the terminal ) with the MacOs Catalina image on it , but no EFI partition was made for some strange reason

i downloaded clover configuration and was able to mount a EFI Partition on the usb ( disappears when i eject the usb )

i copied the downloaded EFI folder to the empty EFI section in the USB

( the folder shows up when i press open partition via clover configurator)

1. haven't tried booting from it yet.

Motherboard Steps:

I've updated it to bios F9g via USB

but when i changed the required bios settings posted on the link (see below) the display goes black and i get no image almost as if i bricked the board.( i had to clear the Cmos for it to return back to normal )

BIOS Settings
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Boot > CSM Support > Disabled
Note: The display is connected via HDMI on my RX 580 from gigabyte. and the on board graphics dint show up either, even when i tried using a Dvi cable.

I haven't disabled the MSR due to fear it might completely black out.

Unlock MSR (NVRAM will not work with locked MSR) <-This step is ONLY for the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming!! If using other motherboard, please see post #4.
1. Download the EFI Shell and unZip it.
2. Copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition of your USB flash drive. (EFI Agent can help with mounting of EFI partitions.)
3. Boot from the USB flash drive.
4. At the Grub prompt, enter:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0
5. Reboot in to BIOS.
6. Save your BIOS settings profile to USB flash drive. If your BIOS ever resets itself, you won't have to manually unlock MSR again, just load your BIOS setting profile and MSR will be unlocked.
7. Done. (Please see last image of post #2 to see what success looks like.)
* Note/Warning: The MSR address is the same for every BIOS version for this motherboard, so far. This MSR address is only for this motherboard. If you are on another motherboard, you will need to find what your MSR address is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back