Contribute
Register

New Brightness kext, IntelBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since 10.11 broke ACPI access to the backlight registers, the new version of ACPIBacklight.kext goes direct to the hardware instead of calling ACPI methods _BQC, _BCM to get/set brightness. It depends on the patch being used (how XOPT is set), of course,... because there are brightness patches that always must go through ACPI. But for the normal patches we use, it will go direct to the hardware when they are detected.

Since ACPI is not really involved (except for configuration), I thought why not have a kext that is specifically for computers (mostly laptops, all-in-ones) using the Intel PWM registers for backlight?

IntelBacklight.kext is the result of stripping out all ACPI code as it relates to manipulating the backlight from ACPIBacklight.kext. And a fair bit of cleanup.

It is available here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Intel-Backlight

It uses a new method for configuration, which is described in the README. I'll likely use this new configuration method in other kexts I work on.

For this kext, you can use your existing PNLF patch ("Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)", or "Brightness Fix (Haswell/Broadwell)", or you can just use the simple "Brightness Fix" (which is easier to apply).

Advanced users could also construct an SSDT that has only the PNLF in it.

For example:
Code:
DefinitionBlock ("SSDT-PNLF.aml", "SSDT", 1, "PNLF", "PNLF", 0x00003000)
{
    Scope (_SB)
    {
        Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 10)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
        }
    }
}
//EOF

The SSDT above, is just this boiler-plate empty SSDT with the "Brightness Fix" patch applied to it:
Code:
DefinitionBlock ("SSDT-PNLF.aml", "SSDT", 1, "PNLF", "PNLF", 0x00003000)
{
}
//EOF

Custom configurations are described in the README, as well as download locations. Read it carefully.

As usual, this is new code (v1.0.0), so there could be bugs. I've tested the kext on HD4400 Haswell (my u430), and HD4000 Ivy (my 4540s).

It has a higher IOProbeScore, so it will override ACPIBacklight.kext, but it is best to remove ACPIBacklight.kext when using IntelBacklight.kext.

Note: IntelBacklight.kext uses intel-backlight-level in NVRAM, not acpi-backlight-level, so don't be surprised you lose your backlight level preference on first boot.

Rehabman, IntelBacklight.kext is not work for some people and me on mac os sierra 10.12.4 Public beta all version (i'm now use public beta 5). i'm now use GenericBrightness.kext but sometime that's kext not function. hope you fix IntelBacklight.kext for MacOS sierra 10.12.4

Rehabman, IntelBacklight.kext is not work for some people and me on mac os sierra 10.12.4 Public beta all version (i'm now use public beta 5). i'm now use GenericBrightness.kext but sometime that's kext not function. hope you fix IntelBacklight.kext for MacOS sierra 10.12.4

It is a known issue. Actually, IntelBacklight.kext works, but doesn't connect to the system for some reason. You can still use it with Brightness by bergdesign.

It is a known issue. Actually, IntelBacklight.kext works, but doesn't connect to the system for some reason. You can still use it with Brightness by bergdesign.

I've tried Brightness by bergdesign but I am not satisfied because the brightness controls will have to be manually set by the cursor. I think maybe because of their night shift feature that somehow disrupt intelbacklight.kext to work in hackintosh

I've tried Brightness by bergdesign but I am not satisfied because the brightness controls will have to be manually set by the cursor. I think maybe because of their night shift feature that somehow disrupt intelbacklight.kext to work in hackintosh

I don't think it is related to nightshift.

sir,i have intelbacklight.kext for brightness and on the fly hot dsdt addplnf patch for sierra 10.12.2 .my brightness reset after reboot installed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver for clover .i got variables registered with command
Code:
 nvram -p
but again reset on reboot .
also is there any method to config brightness of clover boot menu.thanks
dont know whether native uefi nvram working or not.

sir,i have intelbacklight.kext for brightness and on the fly hot dsdt addplnf patch for sierra 10.12.2 .my brightness reset after reboot installed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver for clover .i got variables registered with command
Code:
 nvram -p
but again reset on reboot .
also is there any method to config brightness of clover boot menu.thanks
dont know whether native uefi nvram working or not.

No brightness control in Clover.
When using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi don't forget to install the "RC scripts" (in Clover installer).

No brightness control in Clover.
When using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi don't forget to install the "RC scripts" (in Clover installer).
Sir,I got everything working in my customac;
except:-
1.auto brightness reset on reboot (whether addplnf clover patch is diffrent from your simple brightness fix dsdt patch for intelbacklight.kext)
2.bluetooth ar9565 doesnt turn off
3.combo mic (external) jack not working.(internal works)
applealc alc255 patch layout id 17 by insanelydeepak
also ,sir how to check native nvram working or not.
Thanks a lot.

Sir,I got everything working in my customac;
except:-
1.auto brightness reset on reboot (whether addplnf clover patch is diffrent from your simple brightness fix dsdt patch for intelbacklight.kext)
2.bluetooth ar9565 doesnt turn off
3.combo mic (external) jack not working.(internal works)
applealc alc255 patch layout id 17 by insanelydeepak
also ,sir how to check native nvram working or not.
Thanks a lot.

1. NVRAM problem. If using EmuVaribleUefi-64.efi don't forget "RC scripts". If not using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, perhaps your native NVRAM is broken (must use EmuVariable + "RC scripts").

2/3: Off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back