Contribute
Register

New Brightness kext, IntelBacklight.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a DSDT I patched myself using your guides and premade patches.

I also disabled nvidia by copying the disable code from the SSDT to the DSDT since I couldn't call the code directly from the DSDT as per your guide here. I need to fix that.
Would appreciate it if you could fix that too :)

I noticed something new in display system of the system information app:
Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

Requested output:

Code:
13    1 0xffffff7f82476000 0x60000    0x60000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (5.0) D748FA50-380C-3F0D-BAD9-EB7A15848EA8 <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

21    0 0xffffff7f82322000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (219.0.0) 36216E26-C378-3067-B5B5-C27076D64955 <7 6 5 4 3 1>

29    0 0xffffff7f8231d000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (219.0.0) B802638B-251C-3602-BA8C-001F87228765 <7 6 5 4 3 1>

99    0 0xffffff7f82194000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (3.1) F51595F0-F9B1-3B85-A1C3-F984DAD4107E <91 12 5 4 3>

I don’t use applehda, so I got no output with kextstat !!

KernelCache ID: 71160ADF1B3F5F6128C1577E3FA8BD1C
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

ACPI is not patched correctly. You should have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (from ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml

Don't forget about correct settings for DropOem and SortedOrder.

See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Also, all kexts you need should be installed to the system volume.

ACPI is not patched correctly. You should have in ACPI/patched:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml (from ssdtPRgen.sh)
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml

Don't forget about correct settings for DropOem and SortedOrder.

See guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Also, all kexts you need should be installed to the system volume.

Did all that, updated to 10.12.1 and switched from Clover EFI to native UEFI. A few days later, and it happens again.

Problem now is that kext being on system partition, I can't remove it from Windows.

Another thing, kext won't load from EFI partition anymore after 10.12.1... I think kext startup needs to be delayed a bit for its dependencies to be loaded.

Did all that, updated to 10.12.1 and switched from Clover EFI to native UEFI. A few days later, and it happens again.

Problem now is that kext being on system partition, I can't remove it from Windows.

Another thing, kext won't load from EFI partition anymore after 10.12.1... I think kext startup needs to be delayed a bit for its dependencies to be loaded.

Why are you installing IntelBacklight.kext on a desktop with Nvidia GeForce 210?

If this is actually for a laptop, please add the laptop to your profile/signature and open a separate thread.

And no idea what you mean by 'it' in "it happens again".

Hi Rehabman,
Thanks for the great work! I've got this kext installed and it seems to be working at about 95% of perfect. The issue I'm seeing with it is the scale of the backlight is off and the screen turns black around the last quarter of the scale. I'm looking into patching the DSDT to fix the scale but am not sure what values would be good to test with. (I'm currently just using the defaults in Info.plist for my Skylake). (fixed with DSDT patch to utilize proper scale) The other issue is after sleep/wake, the backlight only really has two values... ON or OFF along the whole scale. It is either 100% bright or 0% blank. I've switched to the Debug version of the kext but it doesn't print out much debug info. Is there a toggle to have it be more verbose in what it is doing? I'm trying to trace down the reason for the after wake binary condition but can't seem to figure out how to increase the debugging for this kext.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I tried patching my DSDT to match the max backlight value and rescale the scale... but it seems the kext isn't using the values. I've checked the values in ioreg and they are still the default for Haswell/Skylake. I've verified the patch is there (by looking at the DSDT in MaciASL Pre-Edited view). Is there a reason it's not using these values?

I had the RMCF method outside the PNLF device. Putting it in the right context allowed the values to be used and they work!

Last edited:
Hi Rehabman,
Thanks for the great work! I've got this kext installed and it seems to be working at about 95% of perfect. The issue I'm seeing with it is the scale of the backlight is off and the screen turns black around the last quarter of the scale. I'm looking into patching the DSDT to fix the scale but am not sure what values would be good to test with. (I'm currently just using the defaults in Info.plist for my Skylake). (fixed with DSDT patch to utilize proper scale) The other issue is after sleep/wake, the backlight only really has two values... ON or OFF along the whole scale. It is either 100% bright or 0% blank. I've switched to the Debug version of the kext but it doesn't print out much debug info. Is there a toggle to have it be more verbose in what it is doing? I'm trying to trace down the reason for the after wake binary condition but can't seem to figure out how to increase the debugging for this kext.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I tried patching my DSDT to match the max backlight value and rescale the scale... but it seems the kext isn't using the values. I've checked the values in ioreg and they are still the default for Haswell/Skylake. I've verified the patch is there (by looking at the DSDT in MaciASL Pre-Edited view). Is there a reason it's not using these values?

I had the RMCF method outside the PNLF device. Putting it in the right context allowed the values to be used and they work!

If you have an issue, see brightness guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/, especially "Problem Reporting".

If you have an issue, see brightness guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/, especially "Problem Reporting".
Thanks! You can find the attached info here. One thing to note. When I try to press the dim and bright buttons after sleep IOReg reports the value is changing in Root->MacBookPro9->AppleACPIPlatformExpert->PNLF@0->IntelBacklightPanel: IODisplayParameters->brightness->value but the screen doesn't respond. I can press dim all the way to the bottom before the screen turns off. Then I have to hold the backlight up button until it is full before the screen turns on again at 100% bright.

Attachments

• Backlight_Debug.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 92
Thanks! You can find the attached info here. One thing to note. When I try to press the dim and bright buttons after sleep IOReg reports the value is changing in Root->MacBookPro9->AppleACPIPlatformExpert->PNLF@0->IntelBacklightPanel: IODisplayParameters->brightness->value but the screen doesn't respond. I can press dim all the way to the bottom before the screen turns off. Then I have to hold the backlight up button until it is full before the screen turns on again at 100% bright.

Use default settings for IntelBacklight.kext instead of the settings you have in _SB.PNLF.RMCF.

Use default settings for IntelBacklight.kext instead of the settings you have in _SB.PNLF.RMCF.

Just tried and the issue remains unfortunately. It really is perplexing because I can see the values changing in ioreg.

Just tried and the issue remains unfortunately. It really is perplexing because I can see the values changing in ioreg.

Then it is likely your computer does not use the Intel PWM backlight controls. You could try ACPIBacklight.kext + "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)". It is all covered in the guide.

Then it is likely your computer does not use the Intel PWM backlight controls. You could try ACPIBacklight.kext + "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)". It is all covered in the guide.

Weird because the backlight controls work before sleep. Is PWM disconnected after sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back