Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
New iMac with only 8 GB and 256 GB SSD - no upgrade possible.
Yes, you can upgrade these when you order. You'll be able to get 16GB and a 2TB SSD as well. Is it too expensive to do these upgrades from Apple ? Yes, I think it is. I would rather be able to do this after I buy one.

Yes, you can upgrade these when you order. You'll be able to get 16GB and a 2TB SSD as well. Is it too expensive to do these upgrades from Apple ? Yes, I think it is. I would rather be able to do this after I buy one.

Technically, RAM and SSD can be upgraded after purchase too...

RAM and SSD can be upgraded after purchase too...
I would not attempt that on a new iMac. Don't forget you'd also have to take off the glued on glass display before doing any upgrades. That is no fun either.

I would not attempt that on a new iMac. Don't forget you'd also have to take off the glued on glass display before doing any upgrades. That is no fun either.

Easy-peasy for our friend @pastrychef - who doesn't bat an eye at de-lidding and squirting liquid metal over a CPU! :wave:

Easy-peasy
An Apple SoC is a lot different than an Intel chip with a heat spreader. What would you upgrade the M1 8 core CPU to ?
There’s also the question of how durable/reliable the upgrades would be after forcefully removing the original soldered hardware and installing new components. And even if that’s successful, there’s the possibility that Apple could prevent the unofficial hardware from working with a future macOS software update.
Don't try this at home kids ;) it could turn out rather badly.

An Apple SoC is a lot different than an Intel chip with a heat spreader. Also what would you upgrade the M1 8 core to ?

I know - I was only having fun. Mind you it just struck me it is de-lidding, isn't it?

And, hey, I was browsing Amazon and saw one of these:

Cooler.jpg

Don't care what it does but it looks the part, doesn't it?! Put one of those on the M1 and ... Sorted. :lol:

(Apologies - I'm just having a light-hearted moment!)

Easy-peasy for our friend @pastrychef - who doesn't bat an eye at de-lidding and squirting liquid metal over a CPU! :wave:

Lol

I don't think it's too difficult for someone who has SMT desoldering skills and tools and maybe a microscope. It's actually not difficult to find such people in Shenzhen, China.

Lol

I don't think it's too difficult for someone who has SMT desoldering skills and tools and maybe a microscope. It's actually not difficult to find such people in Shenzhen, China.

Sadly my eyes are nowhere near good enough - even with a magnifier. Mind you, I know one lady who creates her own hi-fi using mostly SM components. It's unreal what some people can do.

These iMacs though are so thin it's for sure everything must be glued in. My current Acer monitor is one of the "R" series and only 7mm thick but with a 25mm bulge at the bottom/back for the sockets. Getting speakers, camera, drives and some form of CPU cooler in 11.5mm is crazy.

As a consumer of stuff and the production of just about any short video or audio production and for the vast majority of most peoples laptop needs it would be hard to find a nicer experience than one of the M1's at similar costs (maybe less so when you look at 16GB/2TB models) I have a base level M1 Air and so very pleased with it, battery life, silent, powerful enough to do everything I've ever done on my i3770 desktop (and faster) with the exception of playing certain types of games. Docked there's only the local storage space to indicate you're working on a laptop.
And, hey, I was browsing Amazon and saw one of these:
Nice, they could incorporate it into the design of the iPads, maybe as a handle?

Technically
If only I had a pentolobe screwdriver Id get the back off my 8GB M1 and my soldiering iron out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back