Contribute
Register

neilharts next modding project ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It almost looks like an iMac. I'm looking forward to the result.:thumbup:

I have been holding off starting in on the Loop assembly until I could check out the idea of running the mSATA SSD in an adapter attached to one of the SATA III ports.

B-3-Adapter.jpg

I purchased this adapter from Amazon, $13 USD shipped.

B-4-Adapter-w-card.jpg

And a photo of the Cruical M4 128GB mSATA SSD mounted.

B-2-Spd-MB.jpg

This is the speed of the Cruical M4 mounted in the mini PCIe motherboard slot.

B-1-Spd-Adpt.jpg

And this is the speed of the Crucial M4 running in the adapter connected to the SATA III slot 0 on the DQ77KB.

I was expecting better write performance. I think for the Loop hack, I will run the mSATA SSD in the motherboard mini PCIe slot.

I am toying with the idea of providing a SATA III drive mounting that will be accessable from the outside of the Loop enclosure. In that I do not intend to install an optical drive so there is space available.

neil

Please skip all your other duties and as well sleep. I want to see more of your project....
Looks absolut fantastic.

neil,

i was starting to get the itch to build another hack with the intel mobo here, but not ready to jump in just yet with work and all. enjoying your build posts and hoping to see another cool successful build!

BTW, if you ever need to dispose of any of your hacks, i will guarantee that you will not hear from me about issues, so feel free to throw any my way ;)

slowjin

Neil as far as the SSD write speeds are concerned that is pretty typical. Most every SSD manufacturer quotes write speeds using compression techniques. BlackMagic's tool writes incompressible data to the drive so the tricks to speed things up do not work. I recently bought a crap ton (60) Mushkin Deluxe SATAIII drives. They have very similar read speeds about about 40MB/s faster write speeds and they are cheap as sin!

Neil,
You wrote, that you have locked you off the BIOS. I think, I did this too... After the Update to 044, I was able to install ML, but had to plug the HDMI cable Out and in to have a picture. Then, I reloaded a BIOS Profile, that I saved in BIOS 038. this was no good idea! Now, there is no picture anymore - not on HDMI and not on DP!
I tried to set the CMOS reset jumper and even disconnected the battery during the Night. Unfortunaely, the Screen stays Black...

Do you have an idea?

Edit: I have found it out:
The yellow jumper has to be set to pin 2-3 to come back into the BIOS. The screen is back, but there are still some troubles. See my Thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods...-my-2nd-hackintosh-case-mod-2.html#post490086

Just a note: I have assembled my DQ77KB motherboard into the Loop L5 AIO chassis and set the BIOS Video per the Loop instruction sheet; the "All-In-One Chassis" to "LP-215x (21.5)" and set the "Flat Panel Configuration Changes" to "Locked".

And I was greatly disappointed that my first boot went to from the Apple spinning gear to black screen.

I found by experimentation that I can boot with Graphics Enabler = No and Graphics Mode = 1920x1080x32 and get to the desktop. This then seems to work but with fixed resolution and no acceleration. Boooo....!

And on the bench this MB ran perfect without the Flat Panel settings.

MacTester57 - in your case, avoid the Flat Panel setting and do not set the "Locked" feature. And I am on BIOS ..43 if that helps.

I am sure that I will find the correct combination of BIOS and OS X settings and get this sorted out. However it may take me several days or even a few weeks to get this where I want to be at.

What does this mean? Well at the moment, I can not recommend the Loop L5 AIO kit for use with this motherboard.

Feel the pain, this is what is all about, making problems and finding the solutions...
neil

Just a note: I have assembled my DQ77KB motherboard into the Loop L5 AIO chassis and set the BIOS Video per the Loop instruction sheet; the "All-In-One Chassis" to "LP-215x (21.5)" and set the "Flat Panel Configuration Changes" to "Locked".

And I was greatly disappointed that my first boot went to from the Apple spinning gear to black screen.

I found by experimentation that I can boot with Graphics Enabler = No and Graphics Mode = 1920x1080x32 and get to the desktop. This then seems to work but with fixed resolution and no acceleration. Boooo....!

And on the bench this MB ran perfect without the Flat Panel settings.

MacTester57 - in your case, avoid the Flat Panel setting and do not set the "Locked" feature. And I am on BIOS ..43 if that helps.

I am sure that I will find the correct combination of BIOS and OS X settings and get this sorted out. However it may take me several days or even a few weeks to get this where I want to be at.

What does this mean? Well at the moment, I can not recommend the Loop L5 AIO kit for use with this motherboard.

Feel the pain, this is what is all about, making problems and finding the solutions...
neil

Neil please add this line to your boot plist it is what I have to add to my UP5 to get my Thunderbolt Display to work.

Code:
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000005006201140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

Also change in your BIOS for VRAM to 32MB. Please keep GE=No and your Graphics Mode settings. This should get it to boot with acceleration. Also MacTester57 setting your setup like this will stop you from having to plug and unplug your hdmi on boot.

Einsteiniac - Well good stuff but not the real deal. The panel will display non accelerated screens and this is without loading the HD-4000 kext.

With the device-properties strings, I do get the HD-4000 kext to load but it does not identify the panel. Of interest I have the DP to HDMI adapter to the HDTV and I do get a good high resolution accelerated image on the TV when the HD-4000 loads up.

I tried your properties string and list of strings from a post by dta at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000.html.

To sum up the LVDS panel is not being identified as a display when the HD-4000 kext is loaded. The only way that I get an good non accelerated screen is with GE=No and GM=1920 x 1080 x 32 and no device properties key/string.

I will poke at it again tomorrow.

neil

Einsteiniac - Well good stuff but not the real deal. The panel will display non accelerated screens and this is without loading the HD-4000 kext.

With the device-properties strings, I do get the HD-4000 kext to load but it does not identify the panel. Of interest I have the DP to HDMI adapter to the HDTV and I do get a good high resolution accelerated image on the TV when the HD-4000 loads up.

I tried your properties string and list of strings from a post by dta at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000.html.

To sum up the LVDS panel is not being identified as a display when the HD-4000 kext is loaded. The only way that I get an good non accelerated screen is with GE=No and GM=1920 x 1080 x 32 and no device properties key/string.

I will poke at it again tomorrow.

neil

Hmm that is too bad. I wonder if one of those strings that are designed for laptops that have LVDS screens might work? Did you try all of the strings or just a few?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back