Contribute
Register

Need Motherboard advice. GA Z270X-UD5 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
I7-8700k
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 OC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi!
I'm assembling a machine for media creation. So it has to be versatile - anything from 4k video editing, some light 3d stuff, animation and audio work.
I've decided to go for a Kaby-Lake system (7700k), 32 gb ram, NVMe Drive for the System/Apps and a Radeon Rx Vega (if i can get my hands on one).
Now the question is: Are the 100ish bucks spent extra und the UD5 (over the UD3) worth it?
Will I ever need Tunderbold 3 and would it even work? Is there any other difference noteworthy? Or is there an even better choice for a highly compatible motherboard I overlooked?
I would like to keep cost low at this point, since I'm hoping to switch back to a real Mac Pro in 2019 or so.
Thanks so much!
Gernot

Hi!
I'm assembling a machine for media creation. So it has to be versatile - anything from 4k video editing, some light 3d stuff, animation and audio work.
I've decided to go for a Kaby-Lake system (7700k), 32 gb ram, NVMe Drive for the System/Apps and a Radeon Rx Vega (if i can get my hands on one).
Now the question is: Are the 100ish bucks spent extra und the UD5 (over the UD3) worth it?
Will I ever need Thunderbolt 3 and would it even work? Is there any other difference noteworthy? Or is there an even better choice for a highly compatible motherboard I overlooked?
I would like to keep cost low at this point, since I'm hoping to switch back to a real Mac Pro in 2019 or so.
Thanks so much!
Gernot

If you don't need Thunderbolt 3 right now (it seems it may or may not work), save some money by going with the UD3.

Since you want to use a NVMe drive and a Vega card, I assume you will use High Sierra?

yes - definitely want to go with high sierra right away.. since that should make installation and setup much easier.
a vega card will be a later addition, since i really don't think i'll be able to get my hands on one before end october or even later.. unless i'm willing to go for the 64 and pay 150-200 euro extra..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back