Contribute
Register

Need Kext Education at Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I made some progress tonight. I am now loaded in. I ended up deleting the Lilu and GraphicsFixUp kexts, which might have been your recommendations - sorry I don't remember anymore. I also followed Stork's guide at post #2 regarding uninstallating and reinstalling the drivers. The combination of these two worked.

I can now boot up in normal mode, load up my system info and see my Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. Now I just need to find a good way to actually test the card for performance.

My next task is to repair the Audio and LAN, which currently shows no devices despite previously installing the kexts via multibeast.

If you are using iMac17,1 system definition, you will have to address the "black screen" issue. Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can fix it. They should be installed to /Library/Extension/ or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you install to /Library/Extension/, be sure to install it the right way, don't just copy the file in there.

If you are using iMac17,1 system definition, you will have to address the "black screen" issue. Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can fix it. They should be installed to /Library/Extension/ or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you install to /Library/Extension/, be sure to install it the right way, don't just copy the file in there.

I am currently using system definition 18,3. I did install them using Kext Beast, but thanks for the tip, we had not discussed it, just came across it on here. However, I did move the files from there to the EFI directory based on some other readings on here and I believe that was the final fix for the core of my problems. The machine now loads quickly and correctly. Thanks for your help.

Tomorrow, I will focus on networking and audio as neither are currently working.

Have a good night.

Networking is just a matter of installing the correct kext.

There are at least two methods I know of to get audio working and it can get a bit confusing. Best to start a thread in the audio sub-forum if you encounter problems.

Edit:
If you are using iMac18,3, you won't need NvidiaGrphicsFixup.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your help thread @clsanchez77 ... but I have a similar scenario to your most recent one.

I have Sierra 10.12.16, a GTX 650 and a Z270X-UD3 Motherboard.

For the life of me I can't make the system definition 18,X without the black screen. It is obviously booting because I can share the screen with the machine.

I've tired putting those two Kexts (correctly) in Lib/Ex and Sys/Lib/Ex and EFI/Other etc ... but still nothing.

On boot the system thinks it's a 1GB GTX 650 card, so it's correct.

I wonder if it's because I'm using the DVI outs on the card .. is that a thing where some outputs don't work these days?

Seems I'm stuck with 14,3 for now as it works fine.

A GTX 650 should work with Apple's built-in drivers as well as the Nvidia web drivers. Using Nvidia web drivers is optional with a GTX 650. Therefore, I don't think your issue is with the drivers or the location of the kexts.

As far as I know, DVI should be fine. The only output that gives problems should be analog VGA outputs. So, I don't think that's your problem either.

Sorry to hijack your help thread @clsanchez77 ... but I have a similar scenario to your most recent one.

I have Sierra 10.12.16, a GTX 650 and a Z270X-UD3 Motherboard.

For the life of me I can't make the system definition 18,X without the black screen. It is obviously booting because I can share the screen with the machine.

I've tired putting those two Kexts (correctly) in Lib/Ex and Sys/Lib/Ex and EFI/Other etc ... but still nothing.

On boot the system thinks it's a 1GB GTX 650 card, so it's correct.

I wonder if it's because I'm using the DVI outs on the card .. is that a thing where some outputs don't work these days?

Seems I'm stuck with 14,3 for now as it works fine.

I don't mind a tag along at all. As Pastrychef indicated, have you tried using the card without the new drivers? I would try that first to better understand if the issue is driver or not.

I still have to resolve USB issues, but once I do that I will develop a guide for my build.

A GTX 650 should work with Apple's built-in drivers as well as the Nvidia web drivers. Using Nvidia web drivers is optional with a GTX 650. Therefore, I don't think your issue is with the drivers or the location of the kexts.

As far as I know, DVI should be fine. The only output that gives problems should be analog VGA outputs. So, I don't think that's your problem either.

Thanks for the response @pastrychef ... yeah I've actually tried swapping between the Nvidia and native drivers (by disabling it in Clover and double checking in the Nvidia control panel that it's disabled) and the same thing happens.

Black screen regardless of Nvidia Web or OS X native drivers.

(Just this weird graphics related crash thing happens in a program I use with the native drivers - other than that they are fine).

I think I read somewhere that with the Gigabyte boards you should keep the on-board Intel graphics enabled and choose 'PCI-e' for graphics in the BIOS. I have a feeling I may have disabled it...

Have you folks heard of this being an issue?

I still have to resolve USB issues, but once I do that I will develop a guide for my build.

I have a UD3 version of this series, but all USBs are working ok.

I used @jktaurus8's great guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...on-200-series-with-kabylake-processor.218494/) and completed these bits specifically:

Add these configurations in Config.plist using Clover Configurator.

Increase port limit

Kernel and Kext Patches –> KextToPatch –> +

• Name: AppleUSBXHCIPCI
    Find: 83bd74ff ffff10
    Replace: 83bd74ff ffff1b
    Comment: Increase port limit
kernal-and-kext-patches.png

Rename EHC to EH0
ACPI –> DSDT–> Patches –> +

This two patches would let USBInjectAll.kext load:

• Comment: change EHC1 to EH01
    Find: 45484331
    Replace: 45483031
  • Comment: change EHC2 to EH02
    Find: 45484332
    Replace: 45483032
acpi.png

• Move USBInjectAll.kext & XHCI-200-series-injector.kext to USB’s EFI partition /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

Dunno if you've done that yet?

Obviously that very last step you'd move the files to the boot EFI drive and Clover's install rather than the boot disk as the installation guide suggests.

Last edited:
I have a UD3 version of this series, but all USBs are working ok.

I used @jktaurus8's great guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...on-200-series-with-kabylake-processor.218494/) and completed these bits specifically:

Dunno if you've done that yet?

Obviously that very last step you'd move the files to the boot EFI drive and Clover's install rather than the boot disk as the installation guide suggests.

I went through and verified the settings were correct as per that article and they are. The kext files are located in the /library/extensions/ directory. Running the kextstat command, I can find the USB Inject All kext loaded, however I did not see the XHCI port raise kext loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back