Contribute
Register

Need Kext Education at Kaby Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried booting using the USB installer?

In a worse case scenario, you can connect your hackintosh's drive to a working Mac or hack to edit the EFI folder.

Can you boot the system with USB Installer that has these files in its CLOVER folder supporting the current System disk that has not been fully configured yet?

Yes I can. I can boot from the USB into the USB Installer OS. I cannot boot from the USB to the MacOS installation after Multibeast. FWIW, I can boot into it before Multibeast.

Have you tried booting using the USB installer?
Yes, but my options are then limited to disk utility, reinstall and terminal. Recovery from Time Machine did not work as planned. Still scratching my head on that. Seems as though the Time Machine recovery does not recover the EFI partition. It does push the Kernel panic from early in boot up to later in boot up.

In a worse case scenario, you can connect your hackintosh's drive to a working Mac or hack to edit the EFI folder.
The drive is an M2 SSD and would be impossible to remove with my case. What I want to try tomorrow is to install a second version of Mac OS on one of my extra HDDs (future RAID) to see if I can get a clean install that I will not run multibeast or otherwise make bootable. In theory, I should be able to get into this from the bootable USB and then be able to manipulate or hack the SSD installation...sort of a back door. Since they are separate physical disks, the EFI partitions should be independent and not conflict. I have never done this before so it's a shot in the dark.

Ill be back at it tomorrow night. Thanks for the suggestions. I will have the old gear turning tonight for sure.

Yes I can. I can boot from the USB into the USB Installer OS. I cannot boot from the USB to the MacOS installation after Multibeast. FWIW, I can boot into it before Multibeast.

Yes, but my options are then limited to disk utility, reinstall and terminal. Recovery from Time Machine did not work as planned. Still scratching my head on that. Seems as though the Time Machine recovery does not recover the EFI partition. It does push the Kernel panic from early in boot up to later in boot up.

The drive is an M2 SSD and would be impossible to remove with my case. What I want to try tomorrow is to install a second version of Mac OS on one of my extra HDDs (future RAID) to see if I can get a clean install that I will not run multibeast or otherwise make bootable. In theory, I should be able to get into this from the bootable USB and then be able to manipulate or hack the SSD installation...sort of a back door. Since they are separate physical disks, the EFI partitions should be independent and not conflict. I have never done this before so it's a shot in the dark.

Ill be back at it tomorrow night. Thanks for the suggestions. I will have the old gear turning tonight for sure.
If that is your plan , if you could use a SATA disk smaller than M2 SSD , you may be able to CLONE the newly created disk on to the SSD (I have not done it from SATA HDD/SSD to M2 but all my systems have SATA to SATA Cloned system disks saved since I don't have a system with M2 to test) using Clonezilla. It will clone everything EXACTLY as the Source Disk. Only requirement is that the Target disk has to be the SAME size or LARGER than the Source disk . Target disk size even a few MB less than the Source is NOT acceptable.

When you load Clover from your USB installer, you don't see your M.2 drive?

Are you installing High Sierra or Sierra? Is the M.2 an NVMe drive? Sierra won't work with NVMe without additional hacks which I have no experience with.

Last edited:
If that is your plan , if you could use a SATA disk smaller than M2 SSD , you may be able to CLONE the newly created disk on to the SSD (I have not done it from SATA HDD/SSD to M2 but...

My M.2 is 500 GB (PCI SADA) and my HDDs are 3 TB SATA. I don't have any smaller ones, perhaps some old IDE's laying around but I would have to install them as USB. I honestly don't mind doing the install twice lol. A little more work but I'm learning as I go.

When you load Clover from your USB installer, you don't see your M.2 drive?

Yes, I do see it. I successfully installed High Sierra directly on my M.2 PCI SATA device (device 0). My problems arise when I run MutiBeast to set the device EFI for booting. I now get into the indefinite reboot loop. I have made no progress in debugging this on my own. In researching this forum and others, it appears the highest probably cause if the graphics driver and NVRAM issue as well as the EmuVariableUefi-64 driver. It seems I have no way to install this driver via Clover without a network connection. But I need to run multibeast to setup the network drivers so I can use the network connection. The catch-22 is running multibeast nulls my ability to boot, with either the USB or disk0...so now I boot into Safe Mode, which prohibits me from updating the EFI mount. It's quite the dance :D

I specifically did not purchase the MVN standard chip because I was not certain if High Sierra would install. Sierra is my Plan B, but I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet. I'm hoping my issues may be resolved by multibeast 10 upon its release. If I can solve the issue before then, even better.

So here is my plan for tonight, after trick or treating with the kids of course:
  1. Reset BIOS to Optimize Settings to make sure Im not overlooking something simple not discussed here and restore the essential settings at the front of this post.
  2. Wipe all drives clean again, I enjoy a clean slate for OS installations.
  3. Install High Sierra on the SSD and reboot.
  4. Run MultiBeast with selected drivers as discussed above on the SSD - noting this will not install EmuVariableUefi-64 or my graphics drivers - then reboot.
  5. Go into BIOS and disable my SATA 0.
  6. Install High Sierra on HDD - do NOT run Multibeast.
  7. Restore SATA 0 in BIOS.
  8. Boot using USB into HDD High Sierra.
  9. Use Clover Configurator tool to mount SSD EFI and debug drivers from the HDD installation.
  10. Attempt a Normal Boot into SSD High Sierra.
  11. Upon Failure, go to step 8 and repeat until successful.

@pastrychef, I have completed the steps above through item 8 and I still get the kernel panic and reboot. The drivers were added as per your instructions and Clover Configurator now recognizes them...so I got that right but still no fix. I will be looking at the video card drivers but could really use any other advise you may have. Thanks

These are the kext files I have installed in the Library Extensions folder. Does anything seem unnecessary or missing?
  • ACS6x
  • ArcMSR
  • ATTOCelerityFC8
  • ATTOExpressSASHBA2
  • CalDigitalHDProDrv
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors
  • FakeSMC_CPUSensors
  • FackeSMC_GPUSensors
  • FakeSMC_LPCSensors
  • FakeSMC
  • HighPointIOP
  • HighPointRR
  • PromiseSTEX
  • RealtekALC
  • RealtekRTL8111
  • SoftRAID
  • USBInjectALL
  • XHCI-200-series-injector
Thanks

Do you actually get to the desktop?

I did. I followed the step outlined here:<link removed for "How to properly Install Nvidia Drivers on High Sierra 10.13 (17A405)" due to moderator approval requirements>

However, once I installed the recommended kexts and Nvidia drivers, i only successfully boot to a solid black screen. So I eliminated the kernel panic and reboot but now I can't see my screen. Baby steps :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back