Graphics
None
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First off, I know very little about Macs and even less about Hackintoshs as far as I've never used or seen a Hackintosh and I have only been a typical end user on a Mac. However, on PCs, I'm, at the least, a serious hobbyist or an 'amateur' power user and have done several Windows builds for gaming PCs.

That said, the company I work for as a photo/video journalist will be deciding today whether or not to have me build a computer for my use in editing photos and videos for an extended period of time.

The catch is that my CEO wants it to be a Hackintosh as nearly all of his tech is Mac based and it would ease the transfer of raw and finished files as necessary, plus he just wants to do it.

I want to build a PC that is not only extremely functional but also has plenty of room for expansion and upgrading so that it is cost effective and will last the company(i.e. me) quite some time with occasional upgrades as well as having the capability to do virtually anything I need it to from editing to gaming, etc. since this will essentially be my computer indefinitely.

Also, I would like to note that while, as I understand it, talking about AMD builds is not allowed here, I am an AMD/Radeon fan. Of course, since, as I have read, you need to use Intel/Nvidia for the 'approved' builds, that means that I am a little in the dark regarding some of their cards/processors and their progress over the last few years.

Please just bear with me if I sound noobish, that is all I am asking.

My shopping list as it stands:

Newegg.com

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
HDD(Internal): WD BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB
(External): WD Elements 2 TB Desktop Ext HDD
VCard: EVGA Superclocked 03G-P4-2666-KR GEForce GTX 660 3GB DDR5 192 bit PCI 3.0
PS: Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 2x8 DDR3 1600
MB: MSI ZH77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel H77
CPU: Intel i5-2500k Sandy 3.3ghz

I know that some of this is and might be irrelevant as far as compatibility for OSX 10.7/8, however, I wanted to be sure that whoever reads this knows exactly what I am building just in case there is some little issue here or there I might I over-looked or in case someone has a suggestion for a change that isn't directly related to building a Hackintosh(cheaper/better equivalent parts, parts I should look into in general, reasons I shouldn't get this or that part that isn't regarding OSX compatibility).

So, any suggestions, help, etc. would be great. Thank you in advance. :)

First off, I know very little about Macs and even less about Hackintoshs as far as I've never used or seen a Hackintosh and I have only been a typical end user on a Mac. However, on PCs, I'm, at the least, a serious hobbyist or an 'amateur' power user and have done several Windows builds for gaming PCs.

That said, the company I work for as a photo/video journalist will be deciding today whether or not to have me build a computer for my use in editing photos and videos for an extended period of time.

The catch is that my CEO wants it to be a Hackintosh as nearly all of his tech is Mac based and it would ease the transfer of raw and finished files as necessary, plus he just wants to do it.

I want to build a PC that is not only extremely functional but also has plenty of room for expansion and upgrading so that it is cost effective and will last the company(i.e. me) quite some time with occasional upgrades as well as having the capability to do virtually anything I need it to from editing to gaming, etc. since this will essentially be my computer indefinitely.

Also, I would like to note that while, as I understand it, talking about AMD builds is not allowed here, I am an AMD/Radeon fan. Of course, since, as I have read, you need to use Intel/Nvidia for the 'approved' builds, that means that I am a little in the dark regarding some of their cards/processors and their progress over the last few years.

Please just bear with me if I sound noobish, that is all I am asking.

My shopping list as it stands:

Newegg.com

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
HDD(Internal): WD BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB
(External): WD Elements 2 TB Desktop Ext HDD
VCard: EVGA Superclocked 03G-P4-2666-KR GEForce GTX 660 3GB DDR5 192 bit PCI 3.0
PS: Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 2x8 DDR3 1600
MB: MSI ZH77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel H77
CPU: Intel i5-2500k Sandy 3.3ghz

I know that some of this is and might be irrelevant as far as compatibility for OSX 10.7/8, however, I wanted to be sure that whoever reads this knows exactly what I am building just in case there is some little issue here or there I might I over-looked or in case someone has a suggestion for a change that isn't directly related to building a Hackintosh(cheaper/better equivalent parts, parts I should look into in general, reasons I shouldn't get this or that part that isn't regarding OSX compatibility).

So, any suggestions, help, etc. would be great. Thank you in advance. :)

Firstly SandyBridge processors don't mix well with Z77/H77 boards so I would go with either a Sandy + Z68 or Ivy + Z77 , Why choose Sandy anyway when the Ivys are roughly at the same price point? (at least by me )

The MSI motherboard will need the bios flashed before you begin to install OSX , I don't know too much about the board but I do know that , Perhaps use the search function in the forum pages ( top right corner )

Heres everything in one place thats guaranteed to work flawlessly http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back