display: 2x1080p AOC monitors
hd0 (128GB ssd, mbr):
  1. 100MB Windows System Reserved
  2. ~80GB Windows 7 installation
  3. ~32GB Ubuntu 14.04 (x86) installation
  4. ~8GB swap
hd1 (128GB ssd, gpr?*):
  1. 200MB EFI
  2. ~64GB Mac OS X Mavericks installation (10.9.3 with patched mach_kernel)
  3. ~64GB Ubuntu 14.04 (amd64) installation
hd2 (1TB hdd, storage)

*installed Mavericks, formatted the drive with GPT. then I installed Ubuntu which probably did something funky, idk.

Currently, I have a grub2 installation on hd0 which can boot Windows 7 and the hd0/3 Ubuntu partition perfectly. It can launch the hd1/3 partition but the graphics get all messed up and I can only start up Mavericks with the UniBeast USB drive (and dart=0 boot flag).

I want to end up with just Windows 7 on hd0 and Mavericks/Ubuntu on hd1 (which I know how to do, partition-wise). However, I don't know what I should use for booting all of these. Would grub2 work, or should I stick with Chimera? I haven't been able to boot Mavericks from disk yet (and only with dart=0 boot flag), what should I do about that? I'm basically just looking for some advice because there are so many different guides and I don't know how many would apply to my setup

Okay so here's my current setup:

Currently, I have a grub2 installation on hd0 which can boot Windows 7 and the hd0/3 Ubuntu partition perfectly. It can launch the hd1/3 partition but the graphics get all messed up and I can only start up Mavericks with the UniBeast USB drive (and dart=0 boot flag).

I want to end up with just Windows 7 on hd0 and Mavericks/Ubuntu on hd1 (which I know how to do, partition-wise). However, I don't know what I should use for booting all of these. Would grub2 work, or should I stick with Chimera? I haven't been able to boot Mavericks from disk yet (and only with dart=0 boot flag), what should I do about that? I'm basically just looking for some advice because there are so many different guides and I don't know how many would apply to my setup

regarding dart=0 - only needed if you are unable to disable VT-d in BIOS. Either disable VT-d or add dart=o to your boot flage in your /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist.

For the booter - how much effort do you want to put in?
minimal effort is Chimera, then Grub2, then Windows BCD

Given your arrangement of disk0 = Windows, disk1=OS X/Ubuntu, I suggest Chimera.

Install Windows, disconnect drive.

Connect OS X drive, partition in installer disk utility first partition for OS X, rest free space.
Install OS X. Get it working and booting from HDD.

When done with OS X, reboot with your Ubuntu install media in place and use the F12 or other hot key at BIOS post to select a boot device. Select the Ubuntu. Click on install Ubuntu. And here is where most come to grief - they click on the first install option - erase and install - and totally go wrong.
Step 3 of http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...multibooting-novice-updated-3-12-see-log.html gives a step by step of installing Ubuntu. I don't say you have to use the same partitions I created, as any Linux distro user has their own preferred disk setup. However, the important thing to remember is that you select the root ( / ) of the Ubuntu install to install Grub2.
Installing it anywhere else on a shared drive and Chimera can't boot it. In fact, it usually destroys Chimera boot loader on the MBR of the drive and you either have to use grub to boot or start all over. (you could purge grub and try to re-install it, but reports back have had mixed results. It all comes down in the end to the question "Do you know what you are doing?"
Even though Windows is on a separate drive you still need to sync the partitions at the end - booting won't work without it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give Chimera a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back